Bubble and squeak ?.

samboy

Hi gang.

To me the recipe is left over potato and cabbage But some of the cafes i go into serve it up with 

carrots, peas sweetcorn  etc. What are your views on this ?.

Thanks all.

1 minute ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

To me the recipe is left over potato and cabbage But some of the cafes i go into serve it up with 

carrots, peas sweetcorn  etc. What are your views on this ?.

Thanks all.

defo not sweetcorn .....not really peas either

my preference is 

1. chopped roast pots
  2. chopped sprouts
  3. swede
  4. mash (if you must)
  5. crumbled stuffing
  6. carrot
  7. cabbage
  8. left over gravy heated up

and maybe a couple of slices of meat....

1 hour ago, JKD said:

To me, bubble and squeak was added to the Monday breakfast, made with the leftover potatoes and cabbage from the Sunday roast,,,, YUK !!!

nothing wrong with that.....nice with a fried egg ontop................i bet you were a difficult child

6 hours ago, Wymondley said:

Leftover roast tat's, cabbage and swede, fried in lard.

Served with cold cuts of meat, sausages, cold stuffing and lashings of HP sauce.

Monday night dinner in the autumn/winter, can't beat it.

35 minutes ago, Robden said:

Leftover spuds and veg fried up. Fry in butter and let it catch, so as to get the tasty burnt bits. Plus, cold meat/s and pickles.

thats the way to do it..................sounds like a plan

Love Bubble and Squeak.  My choices;

• Leftover potato (essential)
  • Fried/softened Onion (essential)
  • Leftover greens (cabbage, shredded sprouts, leeks, runner beans etc. as available), some essential
  • Leftover other veggies as you like (swede, carrots, peas .... ) - if and as available
  • Fried in beef dripping
  • Salt and ground black pepper added

Optionals:  Sweet peppers, chillies/chilli powder, curry powder/garam masala/chaat masala, garlic, stuffing.

Generally, if I have leftover meat/fish I reheat that separately, but some bacon or sausgages (sliced) but really then I don't think of it as "Bubble and Squeak" once it has meat in it.

9 hours ago, JKD said:

Definitely not !!!!! Difficult parents more like 😠🤣

Your Dad wasn't called Harry by any chance was he?😉

Growing up bubble and squeak in my parents house was any of the veggies left over from the last meal fried up and served the day after. 

46 minutes ago, yates said:

Your Dad wasn't called Harry by any chance was he?😉

Growing up bubble and squeak in my parents house was any of the veggies left over from the last meal fried up and served the day after. 

Hahaha 😂

Awful memories of certain leftovers,,,, bubble, and those god awful spam fritters 😩 What were they all about ?! Fried slices of [leftover from school lunch sarnies] spam,,,, YUK YUK 🤮

43 minutes ago, JKD said:

...... those god awful spam fritters 😩 What were they all about ?! Fried slices of [leftover from school lunch sarnies] spam,,,, YUK YUK 🤮

We used to get those served up sometimes AS school dinners.

Soggy greasy batter, greasy mush filling . Horrible

1 minute ago, amateur said:

We used to get those served up sometimes AS school dinners.

Soggy greasy batter, greasy mush filling . Horrible

I'm actually feeling sick just thinking about that 🤢 

16 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Left over cabbage/sprouts chopped and added to potato, seasoned then fried in butter, topped off with a fried egg so the yoke soaks into the bubble when you cut it, breakfast, or dinner with a gammon rasher or two

now yer talking:good:

If you don't like spam fritters, you've not had them done properly.

My dear departed Mother was the most wonderful cook...

Spam fritters with thick crispy batter, bubble and squeak and the best cauliflower cheese I've ever had.

When asked how she cooked things I couldn't replicate, her answer was "Oh I don't know dear, I just throw things in a pan".

We have a bubble and squeak bag in the freezer.  A large ziplock plastic bag that we put any leftover cooked veggies in over the course of a month or so, when the bag is full, it comes out of the freezer and it’s bubble and squeak night.  I must admit that along with spuds, greens and parsnips, the occasional carrot and pea does make it in there.

On 14/01/2024 at 16:19, Wymondley said:

If you don't like spam fritters, you've not had them done properly.

My dear departed Mother was the most wonderful cook...

Spam fritters with thick crispy batter, bubble and squeak and the best cauliflower cheese I've ever had.

When asked how she cooked things I couldn't replicate, her answer was "Oh I don't know dear, I just throw things in a pan".

i will do that .......:good:

14 hours ago, Jonty said:

We have a bubble and squeak bag in the freezer.  A large ziplock plastic bag that we put any leftover cooked veggies in over the course of a month or so, when the bag is full, it comes out of the freezer and it’s bubble and squeak night.  I must admit that along with spuds, greens and parsnips, the occasional carrot and pea does make it in there.

What a great idea 👍

14 hours ago, Jonty said:

the occasional carrot and pea does make it in there.

I think any leftover veggies are 'fair game'.  Meaty bits (chopped up bacon, sausage, chicken, red meats etc.) are also nice - but I don't really see it as 'Bubble and Squeak' if there is meat in there.  Topping of strong cheese grated over and the whole browned under the grill is also nice - but again not really 'Bubble and Squeak'.