Battery

Bigbob

I think i need a new battery for the range rover put my registration  into one site £79 odd no to bad went to my local garage spoke to my mechanic i think i need a battery its no the double battery on this car ? and can you fit it as the roll bar needs  removed then once fitted it needs codes so the car knows its a new battery ?. No problem go and see the receptionist yes £252 plus vat because it has the push start /stop 

£79 seems too cheap for a stop/start battery. I just replaced my Mazda battery at £87 for an Exide but some makes like Bosch were around the £140 mark. As for re-initializing the system, I found all I needed on the internet. In the event I didn't need to do the procedure on mine as after a couple of short journeys it just sorted itself out.

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Yep expensive battery to support the most annoying feature ever fitted to a car.

Indeed, although there was an upside on mine as it started to intermittently drop into error mode because the stop/start monitors the battery condition. Without those errors I wouldn't have known my battery was going south. 

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

My theory is that such a system may be saving you 1/2 a percentage point on fuel but likely costing you a fortune in starter motors and batteries.

You may well be correct, mine was a hire vehicle and it was a great vehicle apart from that element. I got quite used to taking it off after every start with the ignition key.

Abysmal idea unless you live in a metropolis.

I was travelling around Gloucestershire and back up to the northern wilds of Cambridgeshire.

Although my car has a 'push start/stop button, it does not have the stop/engine feature. I believe Honda are reluctant to fit them on their auto vehicles. Anyway, my daughter has the feature on her car and needed a new battery. One of my shooting pals who has a garage, did the job. He reckons that the 'boost/start' battery pack that is used to start cars at dealerships, are damaging the batteries and a trickle charger should be used. 

31 minutes ago, Westley said:

Although my car has a 'push start/stop button, it does not have the stop/engine feature. I believe Honda are reluctant to fit them on their auto vehicles. Anyway, my daughter has the feature on her car and needed a new battery. One of my shooting pals who has a garage, did the job. He reckons that the 'boost/start' battery pack that is used to start cars at dealerships, are damaging the batteries and a trickle charger should be used. 

I have Honda auto with stop start. Just replaced the original battery which has done 7 years with a new Varta at £97. Stop start is an excellent feature. The pre engaged starter is designed for the job and is seamless. Only annoys me when it wont switch off as there is too much drain on the battery 😁

Certainly doesn’t bother me, have turned off the auto rear wiper , but auto hand brake, lights , stop start, front wipers are all fine by me. Mate has turned everything he can off and says he doesn’t want to be told how to drive

1 hour ago, Stimo22 said:

Certainly doesn’t bother me, have turned off the auto rear wiper , but auto hand brake, lights , stop start, front wipers are all fine by me. Mate has turned everything he can off and says he doesn’t want to be told how to drive

2 hours ago, London Best said:

You are the only person I have ever heard expressing that statement!

The one thing I would like to turn off is the DRL's. Local garage refused to install a switch to do it. 

Hunting at night it's not helpful. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

The one thing I would like to turn off is the DRL's. Local garage refused to install a switch to do it. 

Hunting at night it's not helpful. 

Long ago I once bought a fully loaded 2 year old Discovery 1. 
If you left the key in the ignition and opened the door it gave out a most awful ‘gong...gong...gong’. 
24 hours after purchase and two spooked foxes later I traced which wire was causing the problem and cut it!

2 hours ago, Andy H said:

Have you tried just charging the battery , At this time of year lights on heating on demisters / de-icing  on Immobiliser/alarm on  radio on stop/start , It might just need a top up

Took it for a couple of long runs but when you put the ignition on you still get the You Must Start The Engine In 3 Minutes or the System Will Close Down . Its a 15 plate with i think the original battery 

On 20/01/2024 at 14:36, London Best said:

My theory is that such a system may be saving you 1/2 a percentage point on fuel but likely costing you a fortune in starter motors and batteries.

That's a good point. |Saving a 10th of a milligram of CO2 may sound good to the fools who believe CO2 causes global warming but like deep cycle clay trap batteries, stop/start batteries have more lead and thus more emissions during manufacture than will ever be saved by auto stopping the engine in traffic etc.

33 minutes ago, Westward said:

That's a good point. |Saving a 10th of a milligram of CO2 may sound good to the fools who believe CO2 causes global warming but like deep cycle clay trap batteries, stop/start batteries have more lead and thus more emissions during manufacture than will ever be saved by auto stopping the engine in traffic etc.

5% to 7% saving in fuel economy according to the american AA and upto 15% saving according to others. It's also the saving in pollution whilst stopped. My mum struggles with the system on her car as she cannot anticipate switch off with the brake so is easily caught out. 

3 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

Have you never heard of brown paper and masking tape?

Possible i guess but not so good over 20 -30 locations on and off road, add in a sprinkling of mud and water and its not so practical. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

5% to 7% saving in fuel economy according to the american AA and upto 15% saving according to others. It's also the saving in pollution whilst stopped. My mum struggles with the system on her car as she cannot anticipate switch off with the brake so is easily caught out. 

Well it didn’t make any measurable savings on the Audi and Discovery Sport that we had. 
But we are not driving round and round in a city, where, with stop/start travel  I think it may just make a difference. 
For out of town driving and longer runs I could detect no difference.