Lyalvale 16 gram, 12 bore

37 minutes ago, London Best said:

Not heard of that conversation before, but I am not surprised.

Estimating distance is not so hard on the ground (although many struggle) but it is ridiculously hard to estimate heights and nearly impossible to estimate the height of a flying bird accurately.

Another good measure for anyone who's ever been Dublin is the spire of Dublin. A steel spire which extends 120m into air but when stood at the base looks to be at least 300m. I stood back a way and split it in half and even 60m seems like it would be an extremely long shot. I would say that most 'good' shots are 40m at most.

8 hours ago, Mable said:

I hear Lyalvale have introduced a 12 bore 16 gram cartridge?

Anyone else heard this,  or better still used them?

Price?

I've tried them. They were about as good as any 21g lead cartridge and broke a good side on long going away and a big battue target without a problem. No recoil whatsoever, if it wasn't for the bang you'd think you had a misfire. Probably no good in a semi auto or an older inertia triggered gun.

I was gifted a box but cost is (was in November) around £245 a thousand. If they are still at that price then a good deal for a club shooter.

34 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

I've tried them. They were about as good as any 21g lead cartridge and broke a good side on long going away and a big battue target without a problem. No recoil whatsoever, if it wasn't for the bang you'd think you had a misfire. Probably no good in a semi auto or an older inertia triggered gun.

I was gifted a box but cost is (was in November) around £245 a thousand. If they are still at that price then a good deal for a club shooter.

Thanks, I would expect little or no recoil.  Price is good, I'll keep my eyes open next time I bulk buy.

41 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I wonder if the shove from such a low load shell would recock for the second barrel in modern O/U's?

Worth trying if the price is right for non competitive shots, especially as so many stands seem to be singles or on report, even true pairs you often have time to toggle a switch.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Not heard of that conversation before, but I am not surprised.

No and I am unsure as to if it is the balcony on the Monument or the cornice on the Royal Exchange or the Bank of England. But certainly it is, was, one of a famous landmark building in the City of London. Anyway it's one or other of such. 

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, i remember my first Side by Side with a stock to short🙄, anyway are you still looking for Side by Side shotguns ??, one is a 16 bore most like Spanish Sold by Elderkins,  a Webley 700 12 bore,  a Grant and Son 1890 12 bore Side lock

I've been banned from acquiring more guns until I get rid of some, but thank you for thinking of me. I would have loved a Grant and Son! 

6 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

I've been banned from acquiring more guns until I get rid of some, but thank you for thinking of me. I would have loved a Grant and Son! 

Hello, no problem, The owner has retired from shooting and his son is selling his shotguns, He is going to get a Holts Valuation so i will see how the Grant and Son goes, Just in case🤞

Yes, as mentioned steel bio-wad. I was invited on a corporate day earlier in the year and was handed two boxes of said cartridges, light as a feather and when I read the box thought ‘oh dear’. 
Just used one of the knackered school guns that didn’t fit very well but was amazed how well they killed all the targets on the 50 bird layout we did. Obviously not 50 yard plus midi’s etc but usual straw bale type ranges with one longer going away target and I dusted plenty. 
I would have dismissed them immediately had I been given any choice but was pleasantly surprised……for anyone starting out / recoil sensitive or just bog standard type targets they are absolutely fine. 

Edited by Wilts#Dave

So  no 8.5 shot is around 2.1  mm  and steel .that has to be very light indeed 

So 282 pellets in 16 grm of no 8.5 shot 

Versus

296 lead pellets 21 grm of no7.5 shot 

Very similar with less recoil and less bang .unless speeds are higher which I suspect they will  be to get any decent breaks at range .

On 11/02/2024 at 09:39, London Best said:

I WAS joking!

But my observation is that most of the folks who tell you they are ‘only using a .410’ are actually using a .410 magnum 3 inch and firing them from a 7lb gun. Not my idea of a .410.

Yes I do use mainly 3 inch magnum carts (but use 14 grm loads also ) but with good reason. The .410 is much easier to suppress than a 20 or 12 b .

So i get a quiet AND  capable gun that will drop birds out to around 35 yds 

What's not to like ? 

2 hours ago, London Best said:

The drainpipe.

Nope .not on my guns just a small light weight tube on the end that doesn't effect the handling  too much in fact it improves it on my mossberg .

And certainly  did on my single barreled  yildiz  

7 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Nope .not on my guns just a small light weight tube on the end that doesn't effect the handling  too much in fact it improves it on my mossberg .

And certainly  did on my single barreled  yildiz  

Do you have any pictures?

I tried one once. A very lightweight aluminium job on a Webley b/a. 
Eight inches of mod on the end of a 25 inch barrel ahead of about a six inch long b/a. It was ridiculous! Flying shots were out of the question.

On 11/02/2024 at 10:35, Fargo said:

I posted about this a while back… it’s a 16g steel with bio wad but isn’t cheap

Also in a 65mm 2.1/2 inch case, not sure I would want to use them in a 3” chamber gun for risk of damaging the forcing cone.

Hull recommends matching cartridge case length to chamber length for steel shot.