Pigeon shooting wanted

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Welcome to Pigeon Watch.

Yes, there are loads of places to shoot wood pigeons in Kent.

Where are these mysterious places you talk about? :hmm:

Edited by old'un

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

In Kent.   :cool1:

In Kent and beyond , no shortage of places , it's more of a shortage of people to find them , you have only got to look at fellow member Mr JDog who often report on a session at a new perm , these places are not advertised , it is up to the person who need the shooting to find them , always have been and always will be , no easy way around it .    MM

For Steve 505 info

I’ve been shooting pigeon for forty years and have many acres on many different farms to shoot over. It used to cost me a bottle of whiskey a year to each farm. That dropped to a bottle of port a year and now I’ve retired its nowt! I have a couple of regular pals who I shoot with and not one of them has ever bothered to search for land of the’re own because they “ don’t feel up for asking” or   “ don’t know how you just walk up to a tractor driver in a field and ask” etc etc

Yes you need a bit gumption to go knock on a farmers door after being directed there by another farmer or, more usually a contractor you’ve stopped in a field ( and please at the end of the spraying/drilling line when he’s turning, not half way down the field) and you have to recognise the farmers need for YOU. If he’s drilling Oil seed Rape etc then he’s likely to have pigeon problems sooner or later. If he’s grazing sheep or intensive cattle fattening then he’s oops sorry, he or she is only going to have crow trouble. 
Another way is to find a quiet spot and just listen for crow bangers or gas guns in the distance. If they are on a rape field then from time to time the farmer is going to check the gas canisters etc.THATS when he’s likely to be interested in your presence ( even if he already has maybe someone shooting pigeons they may have moved to better pastures) What you must do is keep in touch once you have permission and don’t loose interest if the pigeons are absent. Keep popping in to see the farmer as he will most likely be happy you shooting at harvest time. Maybe some folk drop lucky and find a farmer who’s got some laid barley ( happened to me only once and that was word of mouth from the adjacent farm I shoot rape over) but generally you have to put a winter of sitting in a bloody cold hide staring at a barren of pigeon sky over o/s/r at least once a week to get to the situation where you can rock up at said farm without any phone contact with the farmer ( but keep texting them from time to time with amount of birds you’ve shot/ kept off his crop)

At the moment I am managing maybe a dozen pigeon a trip over o/s/r but waiting for beans to go in at three local farms ( again one of which I obtained permission on via a farm worker from another farm telling his new boss about ‘ this bloke who turns up every week whatever the weather and shoots pigeons/crows’

in our neck of the woods there is a pigeon protection club you can join for a very modest fee per annum. Maybe you have one similar in Kent?  But pigeon shooting very rarely comes to you. You have to actively look for it as any established crop protection agent who contributes to this forum will tell you

2 hours ago, Manymissedpigeon said:

For Steve 505 info

I’ve been shooting pigeon for forty years and have many acres on many different farms to shoot over. It used to cost me a bottle of whiskey a year to each farm. That dropped to a bottle of port a year and now I’ve retired its nowt! I have a couple of regular pals who I shoot with and not one of them has ever bothered to search for land of the’re own because they “ don’t feel up for asking” or   “ don’t know how you just walk up to a tractor driver in a field and ask” etc etc

Yes you need a bit gumption to go knock on a farmers door after being directed there by another farmer or, more usually a contractor you’ve stopped in a field ( and please at the end of the spraying/drilling line when he’s turning, not half way down the field) and you have to recognise the farmers need for YOU. If he’s drilling Oil seed Rape etc then he’s likely to have pigeon problems sooner or later. If he’s grazing sheep or intensive cattle fattening then he’s oops sorry, he or she is only going to have crow trouble. 
Another way is to find a quiet spot and just listen for crow bangers or gas guns in the distance. If they are on a rape field then from time to time the farmer is going to check the gas canisters etc.THATS when he’s likely to be interested in your presence ( even if he already has maybe someone shooting pigeons they may have moved to better pastures) What you must do is keep in touch once you have permission and don’t loose interest if the pigeons are absent. Keep popping in to see the farmer as he will most likely be happy you shooting at harvest time. Maybe some folk drop lucky and find a farmer who’s got some laid barley ( happened to me only once and that was word of mouth from the adjacent farm I shoot rape over) but generally you have to put a winter of sitting in a bloody cold hide staring at a barren of pigeon sky over o/s/r at least once a week to get to the situation where you can rock up at said farm without any phone contact with the farmer ( but keep texting them from time to time with amount of birds you’ve shot/ kept off his crop)

At the moment I am managing maybe a dozen pigeon a trip over o/s/r but waiting for beans to go in at three local farms ( again one of which I obtained permission on via a farm worker from another farm telling his new boss about ‘ this bloke who turns up every week whatever the weather and shoots pigeons/crows’

in our neck of the woods there is a pigeon protection club you can join for a very modest fee per annum. Maybe you have one similar in Kent?  But pigeon shooting very rarely comes to you. You have to actively look for it as any established crop protection agent who contributes to this forum will tell you

That's exactly what I said above,,,,, only not in so many words 😀

3 hours ago, Manymissedpigeon said:

For Steve 505 info

Now that’s a response worth reading, well thought out and helpful, full of useful information, etiquette on how to do things as not to p off the farmer/farm worker. Far better than the off the cuff condescending stuff that’s normally written and of no use/value whatsoever. Well done @Manymissedpigeon 👌🏻 

from another perspective, if the op is looking for “paid for” rather than a permission I believe “the morgues shoot” may offer what you’re looking for, search it in your web browser 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

No, Trafalgar Square is near Kent..........................:rolleyes:

Nearer to the Houses of Parliament,,,, plenty of turkeys to have a go at there 🙈

4 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

is Kent near Trafalgar Square?  plenty pigeons there.

You need to get out in London more not that many pigeons there anymore when I was a kid going to Trafalgar Square and getting a bag of food for a penny and getting covered with pigeons was the done thing don’t see many today the odd few with all there toes missing is about it 

9 hours ago, nobbyathome said:

You need to get out in London more not that many pigeons there anymore when I was a kid going to Trafalgar Square and getting a bag of food for a penny and getting covered with pigeons was the done thing don’t see many today the odd few with all there toes missing is about it 

Blimey, by 1910 it had gone up to tuppence a bag. :)