Are these rare?

The 2 inch I remember from the early 70’s, they were 7/8ths Oz I think,about 25 grams load. May not be very rare,but worth probably £20 a box to a collector,same for the Purdey’s I guess.There are collectors for just the boxes too actually!

Edited by TOPGUN749

love the smell of opening a box of eley grand prix paper cased...........that and the old gun oil...........mix it together and it would make a hell of a bathtime soap for the shooting man:lol:

and then a quick splash of Hoppes instead of old spice ...and you would be good to go :good:

Steel case heads zinc coated? And showing corrossion? Not rare as in old but maybe uncommon but modern made. I'd not pay money for them over and above what a box of present production would cost and indeed I'd want to pay less. They may. also, the Two Inch not be reloadable as they may use old Eley Surefire primers?

Edited by enfieldspares

13 hours ago, ditchman said:

love the smell of opening a box of eley grand prix paper cased...........that and the old gun oil...........mix it together and it would make a hell of a bathtime soap for the shooting man

and then a quick splash of Hoppes instead of old spice ...and you would be good to go :good:

👍🏻 

Nothing quite like the smell of a freshly fired paper case, either.

Maybe purely coincidence or a clue to their rarity (or commonality), but my non shooting mate at work handed me a bag of a dozen or so mixed cartridges earlier this week as he is settling his fathers estate and found them in a draw. There were two of these same purdey cartridges in there.

48 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

My Grandfathers old Skimin and Wood - I have about 2k shells 👍🏻

It was reblued by Westley Richards in 1974, he had a dent removed at the same time. 
I have the receipt - it cost £8 🤣

I bet that is a delight to use. 
I do love a light gun.

1 hour ago, WelshAndy said:

70F5E7BA-649B-4340-8F3F-F0D1BB956964.jpeg

B20CC89F-204B-43A3-9790-ACB5D9E4996A.jpeg

4CB3D55D-F232-49DC-96B4-4B89B5B3BA3A.jpeg

Modern head and stamp on those 2 inch but an old looking paper case.... unusual! Is there  a packing code inside the box? I suspect not going by the headstamp. They remind me of the commemorative grand prix paper case that Eley bought out a few year back!

37 minutes ago, busbiter said:

Modern head and stamp on those 2 inch but an old looking paper case.... unusual! Is there  a packing code inside the box? I suspect not going by the headstamp. They remind me of the commemorative grand prix paper case that Eley bought out a few year back!

I can assure you they are not modern - my grandfather has been dead since 1995. 

No packing code sorry 👎🏻

1 hour ago, London Best said:

I bet that is a delight to use. 
I do love a light gun.

It is - sadly I can’t hit anything with it 🤦‍♂️ it’s in my younger brothers cabinet now - he is quite a good shot with a side by side 😎

18 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Purdeys are probably Hull Cartridge Co. They made cartridges for everybody back then. 

Yes, that would be my thought.  Powell's 'own label' (General, 1 1/16 oz paper case, Admiral, 1 1/16 oz plastic case and Super Velocity, 1oz plastic case (or paper as well?)) used to be Hull.

On 23/02/2024 at 21:00, WelshAndy said:

I can assure you they are not modern - my grandfather has been dead since 1995. 

No packing code sorry 👎🏻

It is - sadly I can’t hit anything with it 🤦‍♂️ it’s in my younger brothers cabinet now - he is quite a good shot with a side by side 😎

Cheers Andy, by modern I meant 1980's onwards but the cases look older if that makes sense

On 23/02/2024 at 11:44, Penelope said:

👍🏻

Nothing quite like the smell of a freshly fired paper case, either.

I have a lot of primed paper cases,65mm and just had 2 tins of nobel powder given, plus felt wads so will load it up, 

also Young's 303 oil.

Nostalgia kicking in, like the Bisto advert.😊