Stock damage (possibly imaginary)

Probably a daft question - I certainly feel daft for allowing it to happen in the first place.....

This afternoon I had my pair of AYA's in a double gun slip on the back seat of my car, when I had to perform an emergency stop. The result was the guns flying off the seat and landing with a thud on the floor of the back footwell...

I'm on friendly terms with my local gunmaker (and was on my way there anyway to have the bores / chokes measured). He checked the barrels, and confirmed there was no damage to them - and checked over the stocks as well and said they were also fine / no cracks, but didn’t remove them from the actions, etc.

Now, for some stupid reason I have got an idea (I imagine, entirely baseless) in my head that the stocks may have been damaged in some way that is internal / unseen. I have no evidence for this, and my logical mind says this is unlikely and not to worry - but nevertheless, worry I do....

The guns in question are AYA no.2's

If anyone with any knowledge of stocks would care to jump in - thank you in advance for any advise / humouring my delusions....

Edited by PeterHenry

• PeterHenry changed the title to Stock damage (possibly imaginary)
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, old'un said:

Your gunsmith checked them over and he as passed them as no damage, your fear of internal damage is, as you say, entirely baseless.

👍

1 hour ago, button said:

Take the locks off and have a look if it will put your mind at ease 

👍

Both excellent advice thank you

Edited by PeterHenry

29 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have done the same thing and now the guns always travel on the floor not on the seat.

The gun(s) survived hopefully?

5 minutes ago, Westley said:

I buy cars that a gun will fit across the boot in. In the group I shoot with, I have the only car where this is possible. The others, the guns have to go in diagonally. 

I discovered they fit in the boot on the way back... I never even thought about it, because most of my guns have longer barrels and from experience won't fit. These have 26" barrels and fit like a glove...

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

A couple of hundred years ago some clever chap invented the "MOTOR CASE".  :rolleyes:

Really very useful for moving expensive guns around in vehicles.   :w00t:

I have a nice one that fits both as well.....

I'm kicking myself for not using it...

13 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I currently have 8 of them, repair them for other people and cannot understand why they are not used more.

For a small percentage of what you pay for the gun, you have safe transit.

Agree 100%

2 hours ago, button said:

Take the locks off and have a look if it will put your mind at ease 

No! This may well cause damage if the OP is cackhanded!

59 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have done the same thing and now the guns always travel on the floor not on the seat.

I do this too! In the boot or, yes, on the floor. Never on the back seat.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well I currently have 8 of them, repair them for other people and cannot understand why they are not used more.

For a small percentage of what you pay for the gun, you have safe transit.

I never transport my best sidelock to and from a shoot other than in it’s motor case. If there is no gun bus provided on the shoot it travels around in it’s slip but never to/from the shoot. I don’t fancy paying for a restock job!

17 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

No! This may well cause damage if the OP is cackhanded!

I do this too! In the boot or, yes, on the floor. Never on the back seat.

I did have second thoughts - and decided to leave them be. I don't have a great track record with this sort of thing.

17 hours ago, ditchman said:

ultrasound scanner ?

Wouldn't I have to cover them in gel?

16 hours ago, mossy835 said:

this is what i do,

👍

16 hours ago, London Best said:

I never transport my best sidelock to and from a shoot other than in it’s motor case. If there is no gun bus provided on the shoot it travels around in it’s slip but never to/from the shoot. I don’t fancy paying for a restock job!

I'm the same normally - either a motor case or a 'razorback' gun slip if pigeon shooting, which is practically as solid.

But anyway, neither was used in this particular instance.....

15 hours ago, ph5172 said:

Could you not just give the stock a knock with your knuckles to check for sound difference?

I should think that with no visible external damage the insides should be fine

👍

All sorted now - I came to the conclusion that they were about due a service, so I've booked them in.

23 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

And DON'T forget to put them in their boxes for the trip.

They went there in a reasonable amount of safety and style this time 👍

Although due to the case being an off the shelf one, they were packed in slightly with some dusters. I know Brady use to provide spare baize with their cases, so they could be fitted by the end user - but in the absence of any, do you have any tips on how to make the case fit better, without it looking like it's been bodged?

Screenshot_20240306_140223_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240306_140220_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240306_140216_Instagram.jpg

4 minutes ago, Mr.C said:

Have a search on here for motor cases. I'm sure there is someone on here that referbs them and would be the man to ask about a invisible job

That's why I was asking TIGHTCHOKE 👍

But I agree that there's a wealth of information / knowledge pepole about on this forum