Foxes

Is it an offence to release foxes ,being a native species I didn’t think it was after all rspca does it all the time .But just been told it’s an offence under wildlife and countryside act of 1988

can any clear that up ? 

5 hours ago, pork chop said:

Is it an offence to release foxes ,being a native species I didn’t think it was after all rspca does it all the time .But just been told it’s an offence under wildlife and countryside act of 1988

can any clear that up ? 

Why would you want to release one?

We had it round us, RSPCA Letting them out, just happened to be on land I shoot, so we sat in the truck in one field for a week and get 9. All urban foxes that had been checked over, some had shaved legs where they'd been knocked out and one had stitches.  They'd struggle to survive without a kfc and people's rubbish bins to feed from...

1 hour ago, martinj said:

To avoid doing the nasty? same reason they make humane mousetraps

Reminds me of years ago i had mice in the kitchen in a new build, found they were getting in through a hole under the sink drain. 

I bought a humane mouse trap, caught 1st night and wanted to know what sort it was, so i let it out in the sink, i never knew they could jump so high. Out the sink on the worktop, and then disappeared only to reappear in the living room. I tried to funnel it back into the trap by moving a table next to a wall with the trap in the corner. That didn't  work and ended up with the mouse going up stairs :w00t: desperate measure required so got the HW77 out, the mouse ran across as fast as lightning but slowed down on the up, loaded and cross hair on the mouse waited till it got to the top of the landing were it had to go right. 

i shouted FREEZE MOTHER and sent the 22 pellet on its way. 1 dead mouse was lying there twitching from a perfectly placed head shot from 5 yards away. 

As for releasing fox's no idea. But a perm i shoot on the landowner shot around 90 fox's in around 6 months, a few had bald patches and a few had been spayed.  

3 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

We had it round us, RSPCA Letting them out, just happened to be on land I shoot, so we sat in the truck in one field for a week and get 9. All urban foxes that had been checked over, some had shaved legs where they'd been knocked out and one had stitches.  They'd struggle to survive without a kfc and people's rubbish bins to feed from...

I stopped counting at 200 in under 2 years on one 160 acre farm adjoining a “country park”.

Professional pest controllers trap foxes on their clients ground and drive them a few miles up the road and release them.

Reason being

A) they have no legal way of killing them.

B) they have no legal way (cost effective way);of disposing of the dead fox.

Easiest way is just drive and dump

12 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Professional pest controllers trap foxes on their clients ground and drive them a few miles up the road and release them.

Reason being

Eh? Got any links to support any of the statements you’ve made above?
All the foxes I know of which are trapped, are then shot while in the trap and either chucked in a hedgerow or midden heap, or buried. 

16 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Reason being

Totally now true. My mate (a professional pest controller, self employed) takes trapped foxes away and dispatches them, humanely.

Not all pest controllers have the right tools. I was actually asked about ten years back if i would dispatch foxes for a guy. He was trapping in East london driving down to Essex & releasing half a dozen at a time on a local urban recreation ground. He had criminal convictions so was barred from having firearms.  I politely declined.