17hmr ammo advise

Hi all

Just purchased a weihrauch HW60J in 17HMR, went out yesterday to clear some canada geese on my permission. I shot 3 all shot bottom of the neck area front breast. 

2 birds flew maybe 10yds and dropped but the 3rd flew 50yds before dropping. All birds recovered and dealt with. I

was expecting the birds to just drop where they were on impact using a 17HMR. My ammo is 17 grain ballistic tip cci.

My question is, is there a more suitable ammo in 17HMR for these geese or am I expection too much from the ammo I'm using. 

I'm new to this calibre but was expecting a large exit hole on the prey but couldn't see anything like that on any of the 3 I shot. 

Thanks all

Canada goose is a big beast for 17 hmr. I’ve had the same experience with the shot placement you describe, shot bankside but they manage to get on the water and you have to get afloat to gather them up. I take my time now and head shoot them. They don’t like that and you will see explosive damage to the skull. Try and keep the distance down too. I don’t like shooting them with rim fire but sometimes it’s the only option. Good luck with your new rifle.

At a guess the 17 is just glansing the neck area where as if you hit the scull it will dissintergrate  the neck of the goose looks big but a lot of it is feather 

where as the 223 has got a bigger diamiter of lead to strike the neck 

10 hours ago, Down South said:

Canada goose is a big beast for 17 hmr. I’ve had the same experience with the shot placement you describe, shot bankside but they manage to get on the water and you have to get afloat to gather them up. I take my time now and head shoot them. They don’t like that and you will see explosive damage to the skull. Try and keep the distance down too. I don’t like shooting them with rim fire but sometimes it’s the only option. Good luck with your new rifle.

i'm glad someone mentioned "body size" when taking into consideration calibre choice when shooting your chosen quarry.

as above,if you head shoot them (at a distance you are accurate at) then i have also found they drop like stones.

it really boils my yellow stuff when HMR/LR gets advocated as ok to body shoot foxes "at up to 100 yards"😡😡😡

You could try hollow points but 1st check the accuracy. 

I'm no expert but enough folk are advising bigger calibre, and I'd tend to agree. The HMR does have its limits and you've found out your right on the boundaries. 👍

Unless of course your 17 has Remington for a surname instead 😊

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

You could try hollow points but 1st check the accuracy. 

I'm no expert but enough folk are advising bigger calibre, and I'd tend to agree. The HMR does have its limits and you've found out your right on the boundaries. 👍

Unless of course your 17 has Remington for a surname instead 😊

Or its little cousin, Hornet

canadas  probably weight close to the same as a fox, and youve got thick feathers breast meat then a solid breastbone, clearly youve made it work but i think you might be asking allot of the 17hmr. id probably look down the route of a heavier 20gr round thats designed to go a little bit deeper instead of the 17gr balistic tip stuff.

Edited by Sweet11-87

40 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

canadas  probably weight close to the same as a fox, and youve got thick feathers breast meat then a solid breastbone, clearly youve made it work but i think you might be asking allot of the 17hmr. id probably look down the route of a heavier 20gr round thats designed to go a little bit deeper instead of the 17gr balistic tip stuff.

i commented on the hummer ballistics earlier but speaking from experience a 50 grn .22-250 round "centre mass" whether it's a goose or a fox,in the words of corporal Jones,"they don't like it up 'em !

1 hour ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

i commented on the hummer ballistics earlier but speaking from experience a 50 grn .22-250 round "centre mass" whether it's a goose or a fox,in the words of corporal Jones,"they don't like it up 'em !

aw for sure, from a blank slate im in agreement with you but, the OP has a just got his 17hmr so a new rifle in a totally new caliber plus variation and land approval might not be viable.  as he asked about a more suitable ammo for his current setup

Edited by Sweet11-87

1 hour ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

My first grown up rifle was a 22-250 which I was persuaded to buy by my mate when we were shopping in the American BX at Wiesbaden. It was A Remington BDL and cost peanuts. Sold it on returning to the UK as it shot further than I'd ever have to. Once I stopped shooting the roe, I settled for a 22 Hornet and bought a Ruger No1 which has a 1 in 14 twist and which enables me to shoot the Hornady SPSX. As said I have no need for the power of the 22-250 - our biggest field is named after its size - 16 acres.

So, yep, agree entirely with the above provided you don't try and drive it too fast,  the 50gr SPSX will do all you need it to for fox and goose sized vermin out to 200 yards.

With consideration for the OP, see if you can find some 17HMR Remington Premier.

Edited by wymberley

57 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have never used one in anger, but I would have thought a .17HMR would be more than adequate to kill Canada geese with a centre mass shot to the body. I have seen them shot that way with a .22LR subsonic.

well according to the OP he reckons not,even though he's neck shooting them,which tbf, should shatter the vitals and spine in that area.

BUT, unless i've missed it, he's not said at what distance he's taking them on at🤔

AND,i have both .22 LR and HMR (as well as .22-250 and .308) and they both have their limitations where any CF calibre will EASILY dispatch quarry of that size with a (even off centre) body shot

13 hours ago, London Best said:

I have never used one in anger, but I would have thought a .17HMR would be more than adequate to kill Canada geese with a centre mass shot to the body. I have seen them shot that way with a .22LR subsonic.

It's probably fair to say that the advent of the 17 HMR caused folk to take their eyes off the greater beneficial thump of the 22 WMR.

Hi all

Many thanks for your replies, i did forget to say the distance i was shooting at but it was 50-80yds so should be no probelm. 

Ive spoken with my local gunshop and he has advised to try a 20g bullet rather than a 17g so I may try this next time

Thanks for now