islandgun

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

yep, they (the shareholders) are on the ball when it comes to payout time but not so much when it comes to investment in the infrastructure.

just fine 'em all till they bleed👍

Can't do that to their besties, can they? 

38 minutes ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

yep, they (the shareholders) are on the ball when it comes to payout time but not so much when it comes to investment in the infrastructure.

just fine 'em all till they bleed👍

Hello, Who pays the fines ?? , Water bill payers in the Thames Water Region ??

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Who pays the fines ?? , Water bill payers in the Thames Water Region ??

Fines can not come from ‘operating’ money, so not customers paying at the time of the fine being levied…. But you can bet they pay in the future.

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

poisoning our land.....raping our ground water in the name of profit........................these people should be imprisoned...end of

Hello, When i was a small boy visiting my grandparents in West Sussex the lived near the River Lavant until they put a Bore Hole up in the Chalk downs where the source of the river came from, The river dried up 🤔🙄

35 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, When i was a small boy visiting my grandparents in West Sussex the lived near the River Lavant until they put a Bore Hole up in the Chalk downs where the source of the river came from, The river dried up 🤔🙄

dont start me on this subject..........i will start spitting blood.........

This whole story is a pile of poop. The regulator sets the profit. The regulator agrees the spend program for each company and has been pushing for prices to come down. The water companies should be allowed to keep prices in line with inflation and that would have allowed more spending on catchment for sewage. The companies have been focusing on increasing water quality (now some of the best in the world) and upgrading sewage treatment. 

Run off from new hard surfacing, which causes much of the problem, is increasing exponentially from new building. The water companies have to manage this down the line with no additional resource. Call for sanctions , fines and the like is to misunderstand the cause and the solution to the problem. 

If the investors are not allowed a market return (prices will increase) they will not invest. Simple's. 

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, have you been watching our local news ??

Possibly, it was on the main BBC news last night, the spokesman for Thames water also reckoned some of the problems were down to the global warming crisis

13 minutes ago, oowee said:

This whole story is a pile of poop. The regulator sets the profit. The regulator agrees the spend program for each company and has been pushing for prices to come down. The water companies should be allowed to keep prices in line with inflation and that would have allowed more spending on catchment for sewage. The companies have been focusing on increasing water quality (now some of the best in the world) and upgrading sewage treatment. 

Run off from new hard surfacing, which causes much of the problem, is increasing exponentially from new building. The water companies have to manage this down the line with no additional resource. Call for sanctions , fines and the like is to misunderstand the cause and the solution to the problem. 

If the investors are not allowed a market return (prices will increase) they will not invest. Simple's. 

Those idiots at the Independent and BBC got it wrong again. dear oh dear.🤣

5 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Possibly, it was on the main BBC news last night, the spokesman for Thames water also reckoned some of the problems were down to the global warming crisis

Hello, not far from where i am it showed a small estate where water and **** lifted the inspection hatches and flooded all the gardens, another area it was running down the road!!!

30 minutes ago, oowee said:

Fair point Oowee - but i wonder why the water companies never object (rarely) to new builds on flood plains or hills ? All about the money 

25 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Fair point Oowee - but i wonder why the water companies never object (rarely) to new builds on flood plains or hills ? All about the money 

They have no statutory right to object on the subject of run off, unlike the Environment Agency but their remit is related to direct flooding rather than overwhelming the sewage system. 

43 minutes ago, islandgun said:

BBC ? Shareholder feedback my dear. 

Look at the data. 

14 minutes ago, oowee said:

They have no statutory right to object on the subject of run off, unlike the Environment Agency but their remit is related to direct flooding rather than overwhelming the sewage system. 

Look at the data. 

you mean this data from last December🙄

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/14/thames-water-appoints-chris-weston-as-boss#:~:text=Thames Water is handing its,pay to £2.3m.

decent package for company that's on the verge of bankruptcy.

3 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Cant believe they get away with polluting the rivers and the sea . 

I cannot believe the regulator has not asked them to tackle these problems up front and allowed them to increase water prices to do it. 

I was shocked by the amount of times they can legally let the overflow loose into rivers and sea but they are doubling these amounts every year and it appears nothing is done , as long as the share holders get there money it seems all is good 

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

I was shocked by the amount of times they can legally let the overflow loose into rivers and sea but they are doubling these amounts every year and it appears nothing is done , as long as the share holders get there money it seems all is good 

Maybe you should have voted Corbyn. The companies are privately owned, largely from pension funds. You would expect and want money to be invested in the company to tackle issues of supply. Investors won't do it without a return. 

7 hours ago, Red696 said:

Fines can not come from ‘operating’ money, so not customers paying at the time of the fine being levied…. But you can bet they pay in the future.

That's the real beauty of the current set ups, customers always pay? Firstly for some form of service then for every event from then onwards. Good or bad the customer always foots the bills?

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, not far from where i am it showed a small estate where water and **** lifted the inspection hatches and flooded all the gardens, another area it was running down the road!!!

The system ‘hydraulics’ like that because the new estate can be built and connected into a sewer system that is at it’s hydraulic limit, the water companies have no right to block the developement.  

In this country to many sewers take surface water, but that is a legacy of our system, and this overwhelms the network. New developements now have to deal with surface water by SUDS but many many householders then make new connections into the network when they have work done at their properties adding yet more surface water into the network.  

Cross connections of foul water into surface water drainage is another problem, as surface water drains go to local waterways and idiots connect in toilets, washing machines, dishwashers etc.  The water companies then have to go around dye testing at every property mapped to the relevant network to find the illegal connections, then report the findings to the EA and local council environmental dept. with the council being responsible for enforcing the removal of the cross connection.  Is it surprising they never get sorted???

Sewage treatment works have ‘storm tanks’ for severe weather events, but they were built decades ago to match the population and housing expectations of the future, we exceeded those expectations by some margin and now we have climate change rainfall to add to the problems.  Once the tanks are full the options are discharge to waterways or flood properties with their own sewage.

Our waterways get more pollution from farming than the water companies, same for industrial discharge and road runoff is another major polluter of our waterways.

There can be no doubt that the water companies have failed us customers and the environment, but so has the regulator by keeping the prices to low for to long.  The EA is ****** due to chronic under funding and lack of resources, and the water companies knew it so took advantage by being allowed to mark their own homework, they had no other choice in reality.

This years pollution/discharges figures look to have doubled, they have’nt, it’s just that the EDM’s ( discharge monitors ) have now been fixed/ actually fitted / moved to the right location to show the true extent of the failings.  The water companies have always known the true extent, they know the outfalls that are discharging outside of weather events but with no EA enforcement available they could just let it happen.  Who of us does things we dont want too, when we know nobody will ever be able to make us?  

This is just the tip of the iceberg on what really happens in the water industry 😁

4 hours ago, oowee said:

Look at the data. 

Is this the data lovely boy......... as supplied by the Guardian.https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/30/in-charts-how-privatisation-drained-thames-waters-coffers

3 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

you mean this data from last December🙄

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/14/thames-water-appoints-chris-weston-as-boss#:~:text=Thames Water is handing its,pay to £2.3m.

decent package for company that's on the verge of bankruptcy.