hide roof

Hello, We did this a few years ago with pallets and used a half one for a roof but you need make sure put in right direction for the wind eg back to front so pigeons come directly in to the hide,  although you can swop around, many many years back it was small bales which made a great hide over barley/ wheat stubble, my favourite type of decoying

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

5 hours ago, bill gruff said:

if i have to put my pigeon hide in the middle of an osr  field do i need a roof  ?

You do NOT need one, but it may hide you better.

Be aware that there will be a trade off in that you will NOT be able to shoot quite so freely.

I always carry a roof with me in my bergan for the odd occasions when the corvids want to commit suicide.

Clear view net over the top so you can see any incoming bird  . And u will definitely shoot more crows with a roof .in fact if I'm going out for crows I virtually  always have a roof on my hide .works on pigeons too of course  .

Again it depends on the situation.  I generally can't get on  with anything overhead but I can remember one Instance where I was pigeon shooting over rape. A bright sunny day with blue sky and a small amount of snow. The only way to shoot was from a dry ditch with a steep cut bank next to a track.   There was no wind and the birds were approaching high and coming down Almost vertically. I  was totally visible in the hide and without cover the birds sheared away so I rigged a couple of hidesticks into the hedge straight out and drooped a net over. It did help with the birds seeing me but I couldn't shoot through the Net.  eventually what i did was to move up and over the bank/hedge and I made a hide with a net roof but no front.  Relying on the natural hedge. Weird shooting the falling birds.  Similar to duck coming onto a pond.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

A mate of mine uses a large fishing umbrella, and drapes camo' netting over it. 

I`m pretty sure that PC on here uses one in certain conditions.

If you’re going to go to that length you’d be better off buying a “pop up” hide. 

Pope up, has windows on the sides, roof over top, nice and comfy and wind/waterproof inside. 

I shot pigeons from one recently it was ok as long as they were decoying in out front. 

You miss out on some of the overhead shots but you’d miss them if you put a roof up anyways. 

The large green fishing umbrella , with a net over it has always worked well for me (especially with corvids).

I have used a borrowed popup hide, but found it needed seriously pegging down in even a stiff breeze and it had a very restricted shooting area, better suited to rifle shooting IMO.

7 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

The large green fishing umbrella , with a net over it has always worked well for me (especially with corvids).

I have used a borrowed popup hide, but found it needed seriously pegging down in even a stiff breeze and it had a very restricted shooting area, better suited to rifle shooting IMO.

:good:

Always use a fishing brolly when its raining, a bitter wind or shooting blacks.

Pictures below, pigeon shooting and it was a bitterly cold wind but the brolly helped keep the wind off my back.

brolhide.jpg.10ff93fae96f2d1009706705cabdf9b0.jpg

brolhide1.jpg.e4447c6aa33a195b61d51439245714d6.jpg

4 hours ago, old'un said:

Pictures below, pigeon shooting and it was a bitterly cold wind but the brolly helped keep the wind off my back.

It certainly worked for you on that day.

Thanks for posting.

OB

15 hours ago, bill gruff said:

that hide looks really good    how is the brolly held down ?

On that day the wind was bitterly cold but not that strong so I just pushed the brolly spike into the ground and wedged the spines into the sheep fence, if it is blowing a strong wind I do peg it to the ground or fence, at the top of the brolly there's usually a hole where I attach a guide rope.

4 hours ago, old'un said:

On that day the wind was bitterly cold but not that strong so I just pushed the brolly spike into the ground and wedged the spines into the sheep fence, if it is blowing a strong wind I do peg it to the ground or fence, at the top of the brolly there's usually a hole where I attach a guide rope.

i think i will try one of those  thanks bill

2 hours ago, bill gruff said:

i think i will try one of those  thanks bill

During the winter it keeps the rain and cold wind off your back but also useful during the summer as shade.

As to your original question about shooting in the middle of a rape field, its not necessary to have a roof for pigeons but if does give some back cover, I have shot a number of times in the middle of a rape field and the pigeons did not seem to bothered by it.

On 12/04/2024 at 10:19, old'un said:

I remember when you posted about this outing. At the time I was impressed with your hide.

18 hours ago, JDog said:

I remember when you posted about this outing. At the time I was impressed with your hide.

Yes must admit it was nice and cosy sat on my seat out of the cold wind, think PC suggested using the water butt as a seat but I did not think that was a good idea considering the water had a thin sheet of ice over it and the steel was like the inside of a freezer.

When I found that post I could not believe it was February 2018, I was still in my 60s, how time flies.

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for fishing Bromley. What I do most of the time is wear good camo with my back to a tall hedge with high undergrowth in front of me or in / under a large Bush in the shadows. Not ideal but works for me on my brief visits to the fields. Perhaps a bit  lucky the land is suitable for this style of shooting.

On 26/04/2024 at 09:06, THEINVISIBLESCARECROW said:

Another vote for fishing Bromley. What I do most of the time is wear good camo with my back to a tall hedge with high undergrowth in front of me or in / under a large Bush in the shadows. Not ideal but works for me on my brief visits to the fields. Perhaps a bit  lucky the land is suitable for this style of shooting.

:cool1: