2 farms gone

just had a phone call from two farmers say that the farms have been soid for building on, the farms were right next to each other witch i have shot on for over 35 years,nice bit of shooting on as well.one had a pond where i loved sitting in and shooting the pigeons as they went over or sitting in the trees. i will miss them both.loved riding the quad bike round with the grankids when the corn was cut.well i have  10 more farms i can shoot on,building is taking over,our land,

This is happening up and down the country , touch wood our marshland is more or less left alone and so is most of the estate I go on but around the outskirts new houses are going up non stop , we will never gain and new land today and tomorrow there will be even less .

I feel sorry for the person who have only got the odd farm that is surrounded by new houses that are getting for ever more closer to his perm .     MM

6 minutes ago, marsh man said:

This is happening up and down the country , touch wood our marshland is more or less left alone and so is most of the estate I go on but around the outskirts new houses are going up non stop , we will never gain and new land today and tomorrow there will be even less .

I feel sorry for the person who have only got the odd farm that is surrounded by new houses that are getting for ever more closer to his perm .     MM

one of my farmers has got planning permission for 6 houses in the farmyard.

he's not building any but is gonna knock the plots out @ 350 grand a pop with no risk or bother for him directly.

he doesn't keep his machinery there so there'll be no massive impact on his farming but he will lose the stables,barnes and money from his livery/stabling business.

44 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

just had a phone call from two farmers say that the farms have been soid for building on, the farms were right next to each other witch i have shot on for over 35 years,nice bit of shooting on as well.one had a pond where i loved sitting in and shooting the pigeons as they went over or sitting in the trees. i will miss them both.loved riding the quad bike round with the grankids when the corn was cut.well i have  10 more farms i can shoot on,building is taking over,our land,

Lost over half of the 6 neighbouring farms the shoot has shot over for 53 years to much the same, the countryside is shrinking at an alarming rate.  Every barn now converted and spreading with outbuildings and wind turbines, holiday Chalets, Caravan parks the list goes on. 

31 minutes ago, aga man said:

Lost some my ground over the years that are now housing estates.

Sad, but you can't blame farmers for being swayed by a nice dollop of cash in these current times.

As the volume of building land shrink then the price of land is just going to go one way and that is not down , with the climate change making farming a stressful occupation you cannot blame the farmer if overnight he can become a very wealthy bloke for signing some paper work .

Edited by marsh man

5 minutes ago, marsh man said:

As the volume of building land shrink then the price of land is just going to go one way and that is not down , with the climate change making farming a stressful occupation you cannot blame the farmer if overnight he can become a very wealthy bloke for signing some paper work .

Exactly 👍

its gonna be tough for the new generation of shooters,more guns less land,im mid 70,s and have had the best of times growing up and shooting all my life,sadly it will never be like that again.

10 minutes ago, Weihrauch17 said:

Lost over half of the 6 neighbouring farms the shoot has shot over for 53 years to much the same, the countryside is shrinking at an alarming rate.  Every barn now converted and spreading with outbuildings and wind turbines, holiday Chalets, Caravan parks the list goes on. 

9 minutes ago, jeffgg said:

If its not houses by me , its solar farms im loosing 150 acers 

You are both right , it is just not new builds that are having an impact on our various sports it can be a number or reasons .

On our place the boss have used a 1000 acers of the estate as a re wilding project , another farm I went on now do one of these large Maize ( Mazes ) and take the children on farm tours , so with so much public activity the shooting side have come to a close.

Then another farm have signed a contract for 20 years on a 100 acers solar panel field and Sheep are now feeding below the panels .

The list just go on and on with fishing ponds , caravan parks , glamping and even a 4 x 4 course which is well attended .

1 hour ago, mossy835 said:

happened to me as well....my mate had a council farm for 20 years....he has now moved down the road and relying on farm machinary sales...and a young lad has taken over the council tenancy...and i have moved .....

times change

There’s a lot of talk from the politicians and pundits saying that we need to be building many more houses to satisfy demand due to population growth driven by immigration.
Also there is a lot of pressure on agricultural land from so called green energy initiatives like solar, wind farms and pylons.

Where will this end though? When we have concreted over the whole countryside?

What about food production? Are we going to import all of our food?

Nobody takes a longer term view - it’s all short term and lining somebody’s pocket!

Sad tale, and becoming much more common in recent years.

I only have a year or two left on my game shoot as the better part of the farm is under compulsory purchase for an electrical converter house for offshore wind energy, we are 20 miles inland.  They also want the two woods as they are line of sight screening for the development. 

Edited by scolopax

The other problem is the folks who move in, don't want those noisey horrible people like us ( and farmers) on land near them and they automatically take priority cos its easier to kick us off than tell them to shut up. 

11 hours ago, chesterse said:

There’s a lot of talk from the politicians and pundits saying that we need to be building many more houses to satisfy demand due to population growth driven by immigration.
Also there is a lot of pressure on agricultural land from so called green energy initiatives like solar, wind farms and pylons.

Where will this end though? When we have concreted over the whole countryside?

What about food production? Are we going to import all of our food?

Nobody takes a longer term view - it’s all short term and lining somebody’s pocket!

Agree 100% but the problems go deeper. As we concrete over, more rainfall gets drained straight into the N Sea. We have had a record wet winter but already they are taking about hose bans. No thought of building new reservoirs, nimby won't like that.

Round here they are infilling as fast as they can but the infrastructure is not upgraded. Essex lanes are full of commuters rushing to the station. You can hardly find a parking space, let alone a checkout at Tesco.

GP practises are full.

Dentists are full.

Hospitals are full.

Schools are full.

Queues at petrol stations.

All because generous benefits mean lazy Brits don't need to work, so we must import cheap labour. (who get all the NHS etc without having paid in). I need a new hip but the waiting list is miles long.

Of course, importing all these people   boosts GDP, and makes HM Gov look better - or is that less bad?

Happy days!!

12 hours ago, clangerman said:

funny how farmers claim to be custodians of the countryside yet when a cheque book appears they can’t sell it out fast enough! 

Smaller farms aren't turning the profit they used to. My longest perm of about 30 years converted a cow shed to a large dog friendly tea room and other buildings to dog grooming, childrens play area, walking Alcapas, farmers mini market etc.

Its now an afternoon out for people and is making more money than the farming they did. They were lucky not to be stuffed up in flooded areas that to my thinking MAY have become blighted by possible cloud seeding to make climate change more believable.

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

Smaller farms aren't turning the profit they used to. My longest perm of about 30 years converted a cow shed to a large dog friendly tea room and other buildings to dog grooming, childrens play area, walking Alcapas, farmers mini market etc.

Its now an afternoon out for people and is making more money than the farming they did. They were lucky not to be stuffed up in flooded areas that to my thinking MAY have become blighted by possible cloud seeding to make climate change more believable.

nothing wrong with change of use I’m talking large scale housing once under concrete there’s no return for farmland 

Another thing that not many are aware of is our shrinking coast line , here on the Norfolk coast there isn't a year go by where another dwelling is lost to the sea , a few miles up the coast at Hembsy it is a constant nightmare for the home owners , one ex army bloke have moved his house on rollers twice over the last few years and now he is left with nowhere to go when the next storm take away his garden which it will and it is only a matter of time .

One good little earner for a local farmer was to have a car boot on his land although last year was the last year after 29 years , on a hot day in the Summer months it is not unusual to see maybe 3 / 4 hundred stalls set up at a minimum of of £8 , £9 if you have got a trailer and a tenner if you have a large van , You take a normal dry Sunday in the Summer with say 200 stalls at a minimum of £8 each that is £1600 for a good mornings work , gates are open at 6am and the site is empty by 1pm , very few crops on earth could make that sort of money in a few hours .:hmm:

I don’t see how anybody that has had kids can moan about all the building work, loss of country side, global warming etc. It’s just massively hypercritical.The world is doomed with the reproductive rates of our species.

Edited by sle