Clay shoot for charity

Long story short is trying to run a clay shoot for local trail hunt pack and air ambulance. Nett proceeds donated 50/50.

Held at a private shooting ground not normally open to public.

Couple of questions if I may:-

1) 60 bird sporting entry £30- too high or ok? £6 for each entry to charity.

2) Hoping for 140 entries … to attract a few people is it imperative to give high gun, 2/3 cash prizes etc and what should they be amount wise ? £150/100/50 in that order or slabs of cartridges?

3) There is a single bathroom, limited undercover seating and will be a catering van. Any other suggestions?

4) Cash only or invest in card machine?

Thanks for any suggestions

Best of luck with this.

1 - Price about right.

2 - Most people like the chance to win a bit of cash.

3 - Keep the loo clean & pray for sun ☀️ 

4 - Some of the U.K’s biggest shoots (Essex Masters / Cheddite Championship) are cash only & keeps costs down for you.

Depending on the location & date not clashing with something I’ve already got booked, I would love to support your causes & bring a few others along.

Looking forward to hearing more.

1 minute ago, FreshFace said:

Best of luck with this.

1 - Price about right.

2 - Most people like the chance to win a bit of cash.

3 - Keep the loo clean & pray for sun ☀️ 

4 - Some of the U.K’s biggest shoots (Essex Masters / Cheddite Championship) are cash only & keeps costs down for you.

Depending on the location & date not clashing with something I’ve already got booked, I would love to support your causes & bring a few others along.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Thanks for the reply 👍🏻

Location will 10 miles from Salisbury , next week will post details and hope you can come 

Unlimited entry clay snooker or pool shoot. £10 or £12 for 25 birds with as many eentries as you like.

People are often put off by travelling out to shoot just 60 birds. Having an additional shoot makes it worth their while.

A pool shoot is also minimal impact on setup with only 5 traps and 3-4 hoops or stands needed depending on setup.

3 hours ago, Fargo said:

Long story short is trying to run a clay shoot for local trail hunt pack and air ambulance. Nett proceeds donated 50/50.

Held at a private shooting ground not normally open to public.

Couple of questions if I may:-

1) 60 bird sporting entry £30- too high or ok? £6 for each entry to charity.

2) Hoping for 140 entries … to attract a few people is it imperative to give high gun, 2/3 cash prizes etc and what should they be amount wise ? £150/100/50 in that order or slabs of cartridges?

3) There is a single bathroom, limited undercover seating and will be a catering van. Any other suggestions?

4) Cash only or invest in card machine?

Thanks for any suggestions

Hello

We run a shoot a couple of times a year to help with funds and keep everyone connected

I run the day on a sim type format - 3 drives - 5 shooting - 5 loading - 150 clays between them

40 people - 125 quid a person - breakfast - dinner and a few cans included.

We have a right old laugh and it pays for bird boxes - wild bird seed etc etc 

I would suggest getting money in before the day 

4 minutes ago, jall25 said:

Hello

We run a shoot a couple of times a year to help with funds and keep everyone connected

I run the day on a sim type format - 3 drives - 5 shooting - 5 loading - 150 clays between them

40 people - 125 quid a person - breakfast - dinner and a few cans included.

We have a right old laugh and it pays for bird boxes - wild bird seed etc etc 

I would suggest getting money in before the day 

Thanks for idea. I have also thought of doing this and for another charity on a bigger estate we are doing an event next may at £350 ticket for a major fundraiser 

19 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

Unlimited entry clay snooker or pool shoot. £10 or £12 for 25 birds with as many eentries as you like.

People are often put off by travelling out to shoot just 60 birds. Having an additional shoot makes it worth their while.

A pool shoot is also minimal impact on setup with only 5 traps and 3-4 hoops or stands needed depending on setup.

Ok thanks for ideas

i agree on the 60 birds but that’s what we are restricted to on the ground but a pool shoot is a good idea or we can do a 55 metre clay off a tower stood in a valley and thought of maybe doing 12 birds, full use of gun, hit all 12 and £50 cash or something 

20 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Thanks for idea. I have also thought of doing this and for another charity on a bigger estate we are doing an event next may at £350 ticket for a major fundraiser 

Ok thanks for ideas

i agree on the 60 birds but that’s what we are restricted to on the ground but a pool shoot is a good idea or we can do a 55 metre clay off a tower stood in a valley and thought of maybe doing 12 birds, full use of gun, hit all 12 and £50 cash or something 

We had a walk back teal on one shoot. Set up a teal trap with cones set out at 10, 20, 30 yards etc up to 70-80 yards away and prize for the person who gets that farthest away from the trap.

13 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

We had a walk back teal on one shoot. Set up a teal trap with cones set out at 10, 20, 30 yards etc up to 70-80 yards away and prize for the person who gets that farthest away from the trap.

Now that’s an idea 

13 hours ago, Fargo said:

Ok thanks for ideas

Brill - good on you 

I have been to hundreds of charity shoots over my shooting years but here in the Yorkshire Dales it seems the main deal is to set the course over half a mile, in the main this isn't  because of footpaths or shot falI, I always thought on a charity shoot the idea was to make money for the chosen cause,this will severly  cut down on second/third cards if you have to walk miles over rough terrain. It is not that hard with a little thought to set up a 50 bird shoot over quite a small area without stands suffering crossovers. Advertise on local village and facebook sites.Make sure you have a safety officer helping with set up. 

From Auntie.

Hello, i would do a 50 Bird Sporter , That means 2 boxes of cartridges plus cost of clays , Plus a pool shoot, DTL and Teal was always my favourite  at Oxford Gun Club when we did a charity shoot, Which side of Salisbury would this be ??

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

46 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, i would do a 50 Bird Sporter , That means 2 boxes of cartridges plus cost of clays , Plus a pool shoot, DTL and Teal was always my favourite  at Oxford Gun Club when we did a charity shoot, Which side of Salisbury would this be ??

Yes maybe will scale it back to a 50 birder and use the other area as a pool/ high tower challenge or long distance shoot for prize cash.

Its on the Blandford side of Salisbury👍🏻

Make it a 50 birder for £25 then £20 for re-entry. Scrounge £100 from an appropriate sponsor for the high gun (Greenfields, Sportarm, Sportsman) which will guarantee the attendance of the local pot hunters - Richard King, Paul Thomas etc. 
You could buy trophies for the rest of the prizes and go as far as you want - ladies, juniors. You can’t afford cash prizes for many places so why bother? People are happy to win something rather than nothing at all.

Make sure it is safe and don’t make it too hard, you want at least half of those who buy a card to shoot a re-entry.  Post it on social media and put a poster in Greenfields, Matt won’t object.

Best of luck and I’ll see you there.

1 hour ago, Wylye said:

Make it a 50 birder for £25 then £20 for re-entry. Scrounge £100 from an appropriate sponsor for the high gun (Greenfields, Sportarm, Sportsman) which will guarantee the attendance of the local pot hunters - Richard King, Paul Thomas etc. 
You could buy trophies for the rest of the prizes and go as far as you want - ladies, juniors. You can’t afford cash prizes for many places so why bother? People are happy to win something rather than nothing at all.

Make sure it is safe and don’t make it too hard, you want at least half of those who buy a card to shoot a re-entry.  Post it on social media and put a poster in Greenfields, Matt won’t object.

Best of luck and I’ll see you there.

Thanks for the advice. Ok will probably go to a 50 birder and amend prices.

Was worried about cash prizes as so many said it’s the only way to attract people but the average shot generally hasn’t a chance at winning if any top shots are there I guess so aren’t coming for the cash anyway I suppose. Like you say some trophies or cartridges etc maybe the way forward. I’ll contact some local shops to see if any will maybe sort a voucher or cash or slab of carts etc👍🏻

21 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

I have been to hundreds of charity shoots over my shooting years but here in the Yorkshire Dales it seems the main deal is to set the course over half a mile, in the main this isn't  because of footpaths or shot falI, I always thought on a charity shoot the idea was to make money for the chosen cause,this will severly  cut down on second/third cards if you have to walk miles over rough terrain. It is not that hard with a little thought to set up a 50 bird shoot over quite a small area without stands suffering crossovers. Advertise on local village and facebook sites.Make sure you have a safety officer helping with set up. 

From Auntie.

From car park to check in to all stands and back to car max 400 metres I’d say 👍🏻

£30 for a 50 bird charity fund raiser is pretty standard. I will be taking part in one of these in my area soon for exactly this price. I think the teal challenge and/or 5 trap pool shoot is a good idea. It adds a little more fun - and of course extra takings. Good luck, hope it goes well. 

Greenfields sponsors another event, but it wouldn't hurt to ask Matt if he can give any goodies for free or at cost? So rather than £100 prize fund, a slab of Hull Comp One instead?

Re-entry I second, I prefer that over a pool shoot personally.

Consider what a sponsor could do, for example if you really need it to be fibre wad only, if you can get the carts for the right price then add it to the ticket price. That's to say if it's £30 entry, and you can get 50 carts for a tenner, call it £40 entry but "free" carts? (price for example only) and throw in 2 spare "no bird" carts, so people feel they are getting better value, but you get to control the cart used.

If Matt won't invest in carts or cash, maybe ask if you can borrow one of his card machines as it's for charity, and in return they can have a stall for free, or you can put signage up for them?

How are you organising referees? I'm not qualified but if you run short I'd donate a day for you.

Also have you spoken to Pam from Ower? She may be able to help as she's the other side, but maybe she may want to advertise Ower or Jason's business in return for borrowing a card machine, or... something?

Any local butchers that would help sponsor some cheap/free food for charity in return for sponsorship?

Payment in advance is really useful, offer paypal or similar (friends and family only!) so you can ensure it's secure, but you can get 100% of the cash

I hope to see you there! It would be great to see OF and his shooting clan, that always makes for a really lovely day also.