Water And Sewage Charges ?

marsh man

18 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Hi Many THANKS for your fast response , I have now been here for seven years , this is the first year I have had a combined bill , the previous years were two bills , one for water and the other one for sewage , I don't use tap water for my garden , haven't used the dish washer since my wife passed away , washing machine on average once a week and bath once or twice a week depending on the weather and then normal usage with the taps for washing the crockery and tea ect .

I have rung them up and now waiting for the return call rather than waiting in the phone q .

Hello, Ok lets hope you can get some answers to the Bills, But If your meter is say in the footpath I would still check out for leaks, But If meter is indoors also like many are then It could be a faulty meter, Keep us post MM 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Ok lets hope you can get some answers to the Bills, But If your meter is say in the footpath I would still check out for leaks, But If meter is indoors also like many are then It could be a faulty meter, Keep us post MM 

Thanks for all your replies and advice , they have now got back to me and someone is coming to check it out on the 25 th September and they are reducing the monthly payment until it is sorted out .

Anglian Water website has a calculator.

https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/help-and-advice/save-water/water-usage-calculator/

When you enter MM’s information (One resident, 2 baths/week, washing machine used once/week, no dishwasher, no garden hose) the result is an estimated use of 38 cubic metres/year.

Estimated annual bill    Water £117  +  Sewerage £176  =  TOTAL  £293

In other words, not very different from other PW members are charged in similar circumstances, and only a fraction of what MM is now being asked to pay.

10 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Hello, The recent heavy rain will see more outflows from Sewage Plants !!!!

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Just to ad , TWA wanted to charge my Son in advance for his water , New idea !!!!!, 

Good luck Marshman. It sounds like a leak or a meter issue. I had similar in the past but with electric. The meter being charged was not mine. They gave back 5 years of electric and the same again as compensation. Stay on the case.

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Thanks for all your replies and advice , they have now got back to me and someone is coming to check it out on the 25 th September and they are reducing the monthly payment until it is sorted out .

Hi MM, is it possible for you to follow my earlier advice, re checking the meter ? It's quite easy, but perhaps a neighbour or someone you know could help. I would do this before your appointment on the 25th 👍

2 hours ago, McSpredder said:

Anglian Water website has a calculator.

https://www.anglianwater.co.uk/help-and-advice/save-water/water-usage-calculator/

When you enter MM’s information (One resident, 2 baths/week, washing machine used once/week, no dishwasher, no garden hose) the result is an estimated use of 38 cubic metres/year.

Estimated annual bill    Water £117  +  Sewerage £176  =  TOTAL  £293

In other words, not very different from other PW members are charged in similar circumstances, and only a fraction of what MM is now being asked to pay.

Wow , we have paid a load more than that each year since we have lived here over the last seven years , hopefully we are now at the start of getting it sorted out , THANKS      MM

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Good luck Marshman. It sounds like a leak or a meter issue. I had similar in the past but with electric. The meter being charged was not mine. They gave back 5 years of electric and the same again as compensation. Stay on the case.

THANKS , this will now be top priority , even more important than the shooting dates , well maybe not quite but you know what I mean :lol:

1 minute ago, JKD said:

Hi MM, is it possible for you to follow my earlier advice, re checking the meter ? It's quite easy, but perhaps a neighbour or someone you know could help. I would do this before your appointment on the 25th 👍

THANKS for that , I will do that when my next door neighbour get back home after there few days away , the water main stop tap is just outside the entrance to my driveway and run up my drive to outside the bathroom and I have never noticed any sign of water or dampness anywhere along the run of the water pipe or any loss in pressure , certainly a problem somewhere .    MM

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

Wow , we have paid a load more than that each year since we have lived here over the last seven years , hopefully we are now at the start of getting it sorted out , THANKS      MM

THANKS , this will now be top priority , even more important than the shooting dates , well maybe not quite but you know what I mean 

THANKS for that , I will do that when my next door neighbour get back home after there few days away , the water main stop tap is just outside the entrance to my driveway and run up my drive to outside the bathroom and I have never noticed any sign of water or dampness anywhere along the run of the water pipe or any loss in pressure , certainly a problem somewhere .    MM

Hope you get sorted soon 👍 At least the water company is helping at this early stage 😉

On 09/09/2024 at 07:29, mellors said:

Blimey that's over £30 a week.

2 of us paying £342 a year here sewage and water. 

No way that's right. 

345 cm/3 cubic mtrs sewage charge for 142 days no way unless your paying for public toilets nxt door. 

I'd be on the phone first thing this morning and ask for a refund for last year as well. 

It was over £60 a week, £1759 in 6 months.

Edited by TOPGUN749

Also check your bill if it mentions top water, if you are on soak away drains you can get lots refunded and they go back 7 years. I got a 4 hundred pound refund for mine. Don't  mention anything to your neighbour until after your water board visit, in case of some underground scullduggery. Check your meter and make sure you do the water usage check before they come get a photo taken of the reading before your visit as well.

From Auntie. 

Edited by 100milesaway

10 hours ago, TOPGUN749 said:

It was over £60 a week, £1759 in under 5 months!

You are certainly on the ball Topgun , you and the other members might have saved me a fortune , the photo below should had been this months payment , something is seriously wrong , when you are all around my way the drinks are on me , :good: :drinks:

SAM-1011.jpg

20 hours ago, marsh man said:

THANKS , this will now be top priority , even more important than the shooting dates , well maybe not quite but you know what I mean :lol:

Hello, Water leaks can go on for months without it being noticed, was there any water in the stop cock chamber ??, There are videos of how to detect for leaks by sound which I have done 100s of times, A listening Stick is very old fashion but it Works, 

The water company will spot leaks but they usually take six months. My dad got a phone call. We had to get the pipes between the meter and the house dug up and replaced. Luckily the leaked water had mostly gone back via a different channel. He thought he was using a lot of water through hour long showers after a shoulder replacement. Not that much!

15 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Water leaks can go on for months without it being noticed, was there any water in the stop cock chamber ??, There are videos of how to detect for leaks by sound which I have done 100s of times, A listening Stick is very old fashion but it Works, 

Good morning ... No , I looked in the meter chamber yesterday and the meter was a good 30 inches down and bone dry , I am waiting for my next door neighbour to come home from a few days away to read the meter as his eyes are better than mine and I will turn my stop tap off for a hour or so to see if the meter is still going around , :good:

18 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I look forward to a sensible outcome to this massive overcharging that should surely have been spotted by the water company.

Morning Dave , I might have been my own worst enemy , it took me ages to reset up all my direct debits after I lost my wife , there was always enough money in the bank to cover them so we just got on with life , this was the same when I finally got them all sorted by myself , I put my state pension into the account that pay the bills and that have been more than enough for the last nine months , I only noticed the big amount  from the water company as they now combine the water and sewage together , I will now be glad when the water company find out what the problem is as this is a worry I could do without . :good:

16 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

The water company will spot leaks but they usually take six months. My dad got a phone call. We had to get the pipes between the meter and the house dug up and replaced. Luckily the leaked water had mostly gone back via a different channel. He thought he was using a lot of water through hour long showers after a shoulder replacement. Not that much!

Hello, Before TWA put out all the leak detection and repairs to contractors at far more cost than the Local Repair Crews if anyone phoned about a water leak it was checked out same day and most repaired to, I use to go out to so many and tell the Property owner the leak was on their side therefore their cost as you mention, Replacing the pipe between the out side stop cock and property is not difficult to do your self , Getting a Plumber in today I would expect a high cost if you can find a decent plumber,

29 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Good morning ... No , I looked in the meter chamber yesterday and the meter was a good 30 inches down and bone dry , I am waiting for my next door neighbour to come home from a few days away to read the meter as his eyes are better than mine and I will turn my stop tap off for a hour or so to see if the meter is still going around , :good:

Morning Dave , I might have been my own worst enemy , it took me ages to reset up all my direct debits after I lost my wife , there was always enough money in the bank to cover them so we just got on with life , this was the same when I finally got them all sorted by myself , I put my state pension into the account that pay the bills and that have been more than enough for the last nine months , I only noticed the big amount  from the water company as they now combine the water and sewage together , I will now be glad when the water company find out what the problem is as this is a worry I could do without . :good:

Hello, Ok , It may be difficult to read the meter with a small leak, also how long the pipe is from meter to property, although it is usual for the water to go the pipe route it can disappear other ways, If you have a long stop cock key it maybe a way to check if there is water leakage , Is the stopcock brass or the Plastic type they use with the meter ?? , If you do not have a long stop cock key they are not expensive to buy , Less than a tenner at Toolstation, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper