Tipping

Bagsy

Ok guys, I don't get out much and I'm not clued up with the latest trends in tipping when out for a meal. What's the right thing to do these days and is there a set amount we should tip?

Am I old fashioned or bonkers for not leaving a tip if not happy and have they now become the 'norm' and expected in this country?

Are the PW faithful a generous bunch or do you make them work really hard for a bit extra?

If I enjoyed the meal and the service was good 20% if the sevice was not so good 10%. If the food was **** but the service good 20% (can't blame the boys & girls out front for ineptitude in the kitchen)but if the food and service are poor..nowt.......some people say I'm fickle y'know.

Whats with the tipping for a bloody McDonalds, Bagsy :good::yes:

You trying to give them enough money for another Gold star to pin on their chests :whistling::good:

Seriously though, why tip, this isn't America, a polite good old stiff upper british Lip "thankyou that was nice would suffice". These people actually get paid quite well as it is for something that doesn't require alot of brain power to do. I don't get tipped in my line of work from Clients or Subbies alike (Ahem), and I ensure both get their money or value for it in terms of hundreds of thousands of pounds or in some cases millions.

Food over here is so damn expensive when eating out, don't think for one minute that it costs what it says on the menu to buy, prepare, cook and serve. For the prices they charge I expect damn good service.

SS

A tip is like saying thankyou

A thank you is like saying thank you, a tip is like calling them a prostitute by directly paying for their services :good:

Don't tip, most restaraunts put tips in a big jar now anyway so the waitress / waiter you tipped has to share it with whoever else is working which I don't agree with.

Offer my thanks and buy them a drink, usually non-alcoholic as they are working, but they appreciate the gesture :whistling:

If eating out I tip at least 10%, if getting a takeaway delivered I round it up to the nearest £1 or £1 and a bit if it's a small tip IE: If it comes to £12.80 I'll give em £14.

If say the charge is £14 and I give £15 in note's and the driver is on his toes I'll call him back and ask for the change for his cheek.

If they stand there with their hand out they get a headache from the noise the door makes.

Last night I ordered a ruby and it come to £18, I gave the bloke a £20 note and he still stood there, he got the door and next time he'll get even less.

I once ordered a take away and left a £4 tip with the driver, back indoors part of the main meal was missing and they said they would add it to my next order, I wasn't happy but they refused to deliver it so I kicked off, took the whole meal back, demanded my money back including the tip and be removed from the "good customer club" (or whatever it was).

I got it :whistling:

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job. - Also Mr Pink

I always tip, (about 10% or a couple of english pounds)

but if im paying on card i will always leave a cash tip as the poor lads and lasses get taxed on any tips put through on a card payment.

Normally it is not a lot as i only carry small amounts of change for giving to the car valet and no one seems to have change for reddies anymore.... but on a serious note many are on the minimum wage and the tips help to make it up