Moral dilemma

henry d

I went to the pub, a big chain like Wetherspoon`s, to watch the rugby on Sunday and had a couple of pints of guiness, served by a lovely chatty young lady. I had a final pint after the match as my bus wasn`t due for 25 minutes, I`d missed one by 5 mins :yes: and this time I was served by a know it all young man who seemed to be the "Duty Manager" as I needed change for the bus I gave him £10, but he gave change for £20 !

Sooooo what would you have done, give the extra £10 back or scupper your drink and leave ??

I went to the pub, a big chain like Wetherspoon`s, to watch the rugby on Sunday and had a couple of pints of guiness, served by a lovely chatty young lady. I had a final pint after the match as my bus wasn`t due for 25 minutes, I`d missed one by 5 mins :hmm: and this time I was served by a know it all young man who seemed to be the "Duty Manager" as I needed change for the bus I gave him £10, but he gave change for £20 !

Sooooo what would you have done, give the extra £10 back or scupper your drink and leave ??

Take the greatest of pleasure in pointing out his mistake in front of said "chatty" young lady and give it back, usually the bar staff have to make up till shortages from an already paltry wage.

You dont need a tenner so badly I know.

If it were an oap that dropped it in the street you wouldnt hesitate to return it.

Maybe im old school but I sleep well :hmm:

:yes: D2D

Edited by dusk2dawn

Fraid I'm with choice number 3.

I'm pretty honest sort of chap and have run down the street after a guy who left his cash in the hole in the wall (idiot) but this is a big company and to be fair it's like a dividend from the company, everyone likes a little freebie every now and again.

This won't come out of the staff's pocket as there is no way of telling who was responsible with several staff members on the till, just gets recorded on the over/under sheet.

So enjoy

I'm pretty honest sort of chap and have run down the street after a guy who left his cash in the hole in the wall (idiot) but this is a big company and to be fair it's like a dividend from the company, everyone likes a little freebie every now and again.

This won't come out of the staff's pocket as there is no way of telling who was responsible with several staff members on the till, just gets recorded on the over/under sheet.

So enjoy

:yes::hmm::hmm:

I am soft, i would have pointed out the mistake!

I worked in a store while i was a student to earn some beer tokens, i can remember £20.00 going missing at the end of the day, and all of us getting grilled, it was horrible, i am the sort of person who colours up and feels guilty even though it was nothing to do with me, and i had no idea how it went missing or if it was half inched?

Edited by Hot-Shot

Give it back. Two weeks ago I sold my golf cabrio to a couple from Colchester and they gave me £100 too much.

Phoned them back (they were half way down the A12) and they turned round and came back twice as happy as when they left.

Keeping it would have been dishonest.

In fairness though, his missus had a lovely set on her.

I would have given it back, like said with the car, if i had given someone too much money, id like to think they would do the same to me.

However saying that, if it was a big pub chain like said, i might be inclined to slip it into the pocket and say nout, especially if it the guy was a smartass lol.

HD if you have to ask it’s obviously playing on your mind...give it back ‘cause it’s dishonest not too.

I recently ordered some shooting kit (2 items) from a company and only 1 arrived. I rang them and complained, in fact had a mild disagreement with the guy who was adamant they had put both items in the parcel. I was equally adamant they hadn’t. He agreed to send a replacement which arrived the following day. THEN Mrs H says why did you buy 2 of those? Apparently she’d opened the parcel and put the first one in my gun cupboard ! I felt so bad I rang the company and explained and offered to pay for the second item, guy said thanks for your honesty and let me have the 2nd item at cost price. It pays to be honest.

With many large organisations if the till doesn’t add up at the end of each shift they very often take it from the staffs wages. Think on that!

So enjoy

about 6 months ago i and the good lady were in our local having a bevvy when this fella came to the bar and ordered some drinks ,barman told him the price the fella took out a fat wad of £20 notes of which 2 notes fell on the floor he then took the drink to table so i picked up the 40quid and went over to his table but thr fella had gone to thr loo so i said to his lady friend when he comes back to come over and see me of which he did ,so i said to the bloke you dropped this and gave him his £40 back in which he took and never even said thankyou or even offered to buy me a drink . so later on my good lady went to the loo with her friend as women do chat in the loo came back with a £10 note look what we found ,so i took said tenner and got another round in so in future if i find cash or am given to much change i keep it . :hmm:

a.t.b tractorboy :):drool:

So enjoy

about 6 months ago i and the good lady were in our local having a bevvy when this fella came to the bar and ordered some drinks ,barman told him the price the fella took out a fat wad of £20 notes of which 2 notes fell on the floor he then took the drink to table so i picked up the 40quid and went over to his table but thr fella had gone to thr loo so i said to his lady friend when he comes back to come over and see me of which he did ,so i said to the bloke you dropped this and gave him his £40 back in which he took and never even said thankyou or even offered to buy me a drink . so later on my good lady went to the loo with her friend as women do chat in the loo came back with a £10 note look what we found ,so i took said tenner and got another round in so in future if i find cash or am given to much change i keep it . :hmm:

a.t.b tractorboy :):drool:

Yep, I think that you have summed it up, basically the majority of people are honest, but it depends on the person whose money that it was, and the circumstances. I would be surprised if many people who received £10 too much from a cash dispenser would take it into the bank, especially if the bank was closed at the time, whereas I would think that most people who found a handbag containing a pension book would hand it in to a police station or take it to an address, if inside. Illogical, I know.

I'd be one of those that cant resist the impulse to return it - but keep thinking about what I could have spent it on.

The times someone has left an expensive looking mobile phone in my cab - but I always try and trace the owner. One guy swore at me for wanting the taxi fare to return it saying it was a rip off way to get more work. I offered to leave it in a phone box for him to collect it - he soon agreed to pay the fare :yes:

I'd give it back, I ended a lease on a rented property a few months ago and the landlord tried to give me the whole of my bond back. I pointed out to him that technically we had run a couple of days into a fresh month (even though i'd moved out but not been able to return the keys) so gave him a little bit back.

I find it's always best to honest - your intention is your best protection, plus you never know when you might cross paths again with the person you deal with.

Plus I need all the good karma I can get :yes:

I would have pointed out the mistake and returned it, as I always do.

I believe that by following this policy it entitles me to carefully check my change and point out any discrepancies that are in my favour.

I am also aware that most staff have to make up till discrepancies.

I recently ordered some shooting kit (2 items) from a company and only 1 arrived. I rang them and complained, in fact had a mild disagreement with the guy who was adamant they had put both items in the parcel. I was equally adamant they hadn’t. He agreed to send a replacement which arrived the following day. THEN Mrs H says why did you buy 2 of those? Apparently she’d opened the parcel and put the first one in my gun cupboard ! I felt so bad I rang the company and explained and offered to pay for the second item, guy said thanks for your honesty and let me have the 2nd item at cost price. It pays to be honest.

How does it pay to be honest, unless you mean you had to pay twice for being honest?

I'd give it back, I ended a lease on a rented property a few months ago and the landlord tried to give me the whole of my bond back. I pointed out to him that technically we had run a couple of days into a fresh month (even though i'd moved out but not been able to return the keys) so gave him a little bit back.

I find it's always best to honest - your intention is your best protection, plus you never know when you might cross paths again with the person you deal with.

That's just insane, you moved out in time but were a bit late with some keys???

You must have done some bad **** in your life to need the karma that badly.

As for most staff having to pay it back, in all similar jobs I've had, we never had to as errors were few and far between, if it happens regularly then you've got someone dipping in the till so need to sort it out, alternatively consider it a stupidity tax and perhaps it will encourage them to be more aware in the future.

"i have to give him it back, he's on my list" :hmm::):drool::hmm:

"MY NAME IS MARTIN"

earl3zv.gif

to be honest, i would have kept it. screw em :hmm:

I am soft, i would have pointed out the mistake!

I worked in a store while i was a student to earn some beer tokens, i can remember £20.00 going missing at the end of the day, and all of us getting grilled, it was horrible, i am the sort of person who colours up and feels guilty even though it was nothing to do with me, and i had no idea how it went missing or if it was half inched?

In a past life I had weekly dealings with a major bank involving the withdrawal of large amounts of cash for my staff wages, several times over the years I had to send someone back up to the bank because the amount was short, not by much but still short, on just one occasion the amount was over in my favour by £100, whoopee one over on the bank...... but I knew the cashiers personally(small bank) and also knew that she would be accountable and worrying about the till shortfall...... so I went back myself and gave it to her before the mistake was recorded and poo hit the fan, she was very, very gratefull and that in itself was enough for me.

I dont like the banks and the way they wring every penny out of us but at the end of the day the staff are the same as us and go home every night to families as we do.

I believe in honesty and treating people the way I would like to be treated, the current world seems to have lost most of the values and the so called "respect" bandied about by todays youth absolutley shallow and worthless.

Just my ten pence worth :hmm:

:yes: D2D