21gram 12bore cartridges for clay shooting

19 hours ago, wymberley said:

13/16oz in my father’s home loads, but then these were genuine 2” and not the commercial 2.2” and had a crimped closure. David Garrard (Homeloader) loved them with Dad’s little Patstone 2”.

Apparently Charles Lancaster started off with 3\4oz but pressure reliability issues meant he very quickly moved to 7\8 as the standard loading.

15 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Apparently Charles Lancaster started off with 3\4oz but pressure reliability issues meant he very quickly moved to 7\8 as the standard loading.

All a tad vague now I'm afraid and not helped by me being elsewhere while dad was playing. I do remember that the commercial loads were not an issue but he was determined to do a proper 2" crimped version which was problematic and the loads varied between 3/4 and 7/8. Gamebore were very helpful and for a reasonable fee would test the various offerings until Dad was satisfied. One of his 3 guns, the Patstone, was posted off to Norfolk along with some cartridges to Homeloader who covered them in a Shooting Times article. Because he enjoyed it, Dad kept on loading until he's used up all of the components even after he'd stopped shooting. I no longer have any as we had a 'staff day' on The MoD range where I worked and they all got used up, but I had given Oppo a fair few and he still puts a slack handful in his pocket when decoying. Still doing the business almost 30 years later.

On 17/04/2023 at 22:53, wymberley said:

13/16oz in my father’s home loads, but then these were genuine 2” and not the commercial 2.2” and had a crimped closure. David Garrard (Homeloader) loved them with Dad’s little Patstone 2”.

Wymberley, would you happen to have a copy of Homeloader's 2" load data. I recall that he tried Bullseye, but decided on a better alternative.

59 minutes ago, harkom said:

Wymberley, would you happen to have a copy of Homeloader's 2" load data. I recall that he tried Bullseye, but decided on a better alternative.

Am sorry, but afraid not. I have Father's Burrard which is a mass of notes that he made and which I've just been through but no mention. However, all is not lost if my memory serves us right. I've checked and he hasn't been on since 30 October last so you may well be better off sending Floating Chamber a PM as I am as sure as I can now be that he was a friend of David and may well be able to help. Should you get in touch and it turns out that I've got it wrong, please apologise for me. The one annoying thing is that father kept a copy of the ST containing David's write up which I hung on to but now can't find.

4 hours ago, harkom said:

4 hours ago, harkom said:

I have a box of 2” eley cartridges plastic RTO 6shot . It would not be difficult to develop a 2” cartridge with available powder csb5 is the one l would use. It would not be rocket science to develop a good load 

2 hours ago, dipper said:

I have a box of 2” eley cartridges plastic RTO 6shot . It would not be difficult to develop a 2” cartridge with available powder csb5 is the one l would use. It would not be rocket science to develop a good load 

Yep, quite possible currently perhaps, but back along had a true 2" and crimp been easy I'm sure Eley would have done it.

2 hours ago, dipper said:

Maxam seem to suggest CSB6 as the most efficient 24g\25g loading in 12b.

CSB5 might be fast enough (being a 1oz powder) but you will be operating at the low pressure end of the powder with the consistency issues (Inc dirty barrels) that may bring, along with the short case and RTO finish.

On 17/04/2023 at 13:28, murray smith said:

21 gram cartridges from Hull/Gamebore/Eley/Express etc, which is the softest shooter and which have shot size 8? I am using a Hammer gun at the moment so it would be good to know.

Personal preference is Hull Comp X - and I use the fibre wad variety.  By a long way my favourite (although that in part is because they are easily available round here).

I have also tried Eley - which I found 'sharp' and Fiocchi (TTi21) which was OK, but for some reason (batch problem?) were very unreliable with misfires in 2 different guns, but OK in all others!

I believe I have also used both the Gamebore and Express equivalents, and can't remember anything particular against either of them except they are less available locally.

Used in various guns including light s/s and hammer guns.  Won't reliably cycle any semi auto as far as I know.