Slaughtering

verminer

I was asked last night if i would carry out slaughtering some pigs for one of my landowners i have told them i would if it is legal (which i belive it would be) i have had a debate with some friends on slaughtering your own livestock for your own consumption.

i said that you can kill and butcher your own pigs as long as they are not for retail, am i right or wrong. if i am correct what would be the best way to carry it out most humanely.

verminer

sounds simple doesnt it!!!

you said "some" pigs-- kill one and the others will soon get anoyed with you, believe me you dont want to get a little piggy annoyed.

you may find out that it isnt as easy as you think,

i wouldnt attempt it. without the propper equipment.

I was asked last night if i would carry out slaughtering some pigs for one of my landowners i have told them i would if it is legal (which i belive it would be) i have had a debate with some friends on slaughtering your own livestock for your own consumption.

i said that you can kill and butcher your own pigs as long as they are not for retail, am i right or wrong. if i am correct what would be the best way to carry it out most humanely.

verminer

PM Gav he is a slaughterman and will tell it to you as it is.

IMO dont go there, as said Pigs get highly stressed at the smell of blood, even if it were legal you would be in deep trouble if they suffered in any way.

:good: D2D

thanks for advice, i didn't want to do it any way, but i have just read up on it and the law states that pigs can be slaughtered by rifle or shotgun (outside advisable). but only the residental family may consume it (not friends or employees) whereas if you kill a sheep or cow only the person doing the slaughter may eat it.

Thanks all for advice

Edited by verminer

I dont think Id be up for doing that if asked. If it was to go wrong in anyway it would be quite distressing. If I was to do it Id use a more powerful rifle than a .17HMR. At least a .223 Minimal. Last thing you want to do is cause any distress to the animal.

i am pretty certain all pigs have to go to a reg slaughter house to be slaughterd .unless they are being destroyed for a good reason .as pigs have paperwork and i think defra would be asking where have they gone. it is very strict concerning pigs .

you can shoot sick injured pigs but i think you have to register it as destroyed.

A few years ago i shot a cow that had broken its leg in a drain . The cow was owned by the farmer whos land that i shoot on . He had called the vet in to put the cow down ,but because the beast was still on its feet the vet could not get near it to use his humane killer or the .32 pistol that he carried . The farmer called me over and the vet asked me if i was capable of shooting the beast where it stood . I can tell you that it was a pressure shot with the farmer and the vet looking over my shoulder . I shot it in the base of the neck with my .308 and killed it clean with one shot at about 50 yards . The vet still insisted in putting a round of .32 in its brain just to make sure . As to killing some pigs for meat ,not for me , i wouldnt get involved if i was you to much could go wrong and bite you in the back side . Harnser .

i am pretty certain all pigs have to go to a reg slaughter house to be slaughterd .unless they are being destroyed for a good reason .as pigs have paperwork and i think defra would be asking where have they gone. it is very strict concerning pigs .

you can shoot sick injured pigs but i think you have to register it as destroyed.

That would appear to be correct, a local farmer takes his pigs to a slaughter house, then brings them back and butchers them himself. I believe that they have to be stamped with a number in purple ink. I'm sure that if he could avoid the transport costs and shoot them himself he would. He has however shot sick pigs that were not for human consumption.

slaughtering and dressing the pigs would be the esay part, the difficult part would be butchering the pigs after, even if you leave them a couple of days jointing a pig that has not been in a chiller for a day is like wrestling jelly.

Edited by peck

verminer

PM Gav he is a slaughterman and will tell it to you as it is.

IMO dont go there, as said Pigs get highly stressed at the smell of blood, even if it were legal you would be in deep trouble if they suffered in any way.

:lol: D2D

:lol:

LB

My father in law has a friend who is a qualified slaughterman and butcher. If he wants an animal for the freezer he calls him up and they slaughter the animal on the farm and hang it. After a day if goes to the butcher and returns chopped up ready for the freezer.

I think this is the best way. Saves the animal being transported anywhere and an expert does the deed.

Harry

As pointed out above, pig farming (domestic or commercial) is DEFRA-regulated -I believe it's the most heavily regulated sector in livestock farming, due to the biosecurity issues that go with the pig industry. All pigs are registered animals. Killing a pig to put into the food chain is notifiable, hence the markings mentioned above. Having farmed pigs myself, they are not animals to trifle with: not only are they extremely robust, they are also very aggressive when stressed.

i would shoot them in the fead with the hmr mate

are you seriously implying shooting a pig size animal with a .17 calibre bullet is a good idea

I hope your not suggesting that a .17 caliber round is not powerful enough

to do significant enough damage in order to kill a pig at close range.

I know for certain that a .17 caliber round is powerful enough at 50 yards

to penetrate front and back of a cows skull.

Not because I have shot a cow but because I have shot at cow skulls on

the farm I shoot on.

I would suggest you do a bit of research in to the ballistics and velocity

of your average .17 caliber round.

Further more to this debate, if you search the web for French slaughter

house videos you'll see the .17 H.M.R in near constant close range use

for the humane dispatch of horses.

As for using anything more powerful than an H.M.R. , that would just be

stupid.

I see no problem with slaughtering a pig if the meat is not for retail.

As long as it's all above board then it's all ok. Just a moral issue for yourself.