tresspassers

rec-baller

one of my permissions is a golf club owned by a good mate of mine, i had a phone call last week to say someone had nicked 5ooo ( yes 5 thousand ) golf balls off the practice range --and would i keep a look out at night for tresspassers.

anyway , myself and my mate went for a walk on the course last night at just after 8-30pm, i logged on with my local police station as being out shooting and started to walk round, at 9-2o we spotted two teenagers walking along the golf course , i began to shout at them to stand still and stop , true to form the little ******* started running ( so would you with 2 6-2" 15 stone cammo-ed fellas totting rifles chasing you, bellowing at you to stop !!) any way we gave chase for about 200 yards and lost them when they decided to go hell for leather straight through a hawthorn hedge to escape from us ( bet that hurt like hell !!!) :hmm: ,

we had the problem that we were armed and could,nt follow them onto a main road, we rang the police immediatley and informed them as to what had happened, the lady on the phone was great -taking all the details-- but the last question shee asked was---- what would you have done with them if you has caught them ??if they had tried to fight you to get away---- especaily as you were armed !!!!!

i trully repleid that i did,nt know :good:

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IN THIS SITUATION :yes:? :hmm::good:

shaun

but the last question shee asked was---- what would you have done with them if you has caught them ??

......."I would have asked them to stop until the police arrived Madam!"

I can't think of a safer answer, it's a very sticky position to be in, and not a time for joke answers.

i would love to say id grab em and kick their ***** :good:

but id do as i was told to. call the landowner, the police, and then go to the farmhouse and wait for further instruction. this is what i know i would do, as shoots seem to hard to come by these days and wouldnt want to loose mine :good:

I wouldn't have shouted at them, just followed them hoping that they returned to a vehicle so I could get a make, number, etc.

If they ran away, or I couldn't get any vehicle information, I wouldn't have bothered telephoning the police.

You have no way of knowing whether a crime has been committed and I doubt walking on a golf course in the dark is a crime.

I agree with paulf, no amount of golf balls is worth risking your licence.

I wouldn't have shouted at them, just followed them hoping that they returned to a vehicle so I could get a make, number, etc.

If they ran away, or I couldn't get any vehicle information, I wouldn't have bothered telephoning the police.

You have no way of knowing whether a crime has been committed and I doubt walking on a golf course in the dark is a crime.

I agree with paulf, no amount of golf balls is worth risking your licence.

Yep.Agree with the above.Unfortunately we live in a country where the public-spirited are hung out to dry for doing the decent thing.

I wouldnt of even chased them but would of shouted ,and recon if they saw two hefty guys with guns then, they probably had some trouser movement ,thought that security had been stepped up on golf coarse ,and decided that they would never go back :good::good: .

But i still think you two probably still come to the same conclusion at the end of the day, no-one hurt

the farmer at my shoot had this last week. he approached them to see what they were up to, even though they were carrying rifles. armed tresspass it is then :good:

this must be getting out of hand then ,same thing happened to my dad and myself while out lamping the other night.

this guy though started to follow my dad while i was over other side of field with son,when this guy realised there were more than one he legged it,

I would keep a low profile and observe them from a distance. If they start to cause trouble I would call the cops.

Good answer - in this case trespass isn't an arrestable offence so I doubt there would be a lot the Police could do about it other than take their details.

Edited by Bagsy

one of my permissions is a golf club owned by a good mate of mine, i had a phone call last week to say someone had nicked 5ooo ( yes 5 thousand ) golf balls off the practice range --and would i keep a look out at night for tresspassers.

anyway , myself and my mate went for a walk on the course last night at just after 8-30pm, i logged on with my local police station as being out shooting and started to walk round, at 9-2o we spotted two teenagers walking along the golf course , i began to shout at them to stand still and stop , true to form the little ******* started running ( so would you with 2 6-2" 15 stone cammo-ed fellas totting rifles chasing you, bellowing at you to stop !!) any way we gave chase for about 200 yards and lost them when they decided to go hell for leather straight through a hawthorn hedge to escape from us ( bet that hurt like hell !!!) :hmm: ,

we had the problem that we were armed and could,nt follow them onto a main road, we rang the police immediatley and informed them as to what had happened, the lady on the phone was great -taking all the details-- but the last question shee asked was---- what would you have done with them if you has caught them ??if they had tried to fight you to get away---- especaily as you were armed !!!!!

shaun

I have been arrested, revoked, for just shouting to people at 200+yards away to get there dogs on a lead and get back to the foot path and i had witnesses with me and i was not armed there tresspasing your, lucky you havent been charged under section 16 a causeing fear of violence with a firearm.

Even though i have proved on the dates i was not there, i was driveing a 38ton artic didnt make any differance watch the shooting press for the full story but if i was you KEEP YOUR GOB SHUT PHONE THE PLOD LET THEM DEAL WITH IT

shaun

I have been arrested, revoked, for just shouting to people at 200+yards away to get there dogs on a lead and get back to the foot path and i had witnesses with me and i was not armed there tresspasing your, lucky you havent been charged under section 16 a causeing fear of violence with a firearm.

Even though i have proved on the dates i was not there, i was driveing a 38ton artic didnt make any differance watch the shooting press for the full story but if i was you KEEP YOUR GOB SHUT PHONE THE PLOD LET THEM DEAL WITH IT

Can you elaborate a bit, you say that you shouted at them, you had witnesses with you, and you were arrested, yet you have proved that you were not there, you were driving an artic? Are you a BASC member, if so contact them immediatly.

The latter part of your post is sensible; KEEP YOUR GOB SHUT PHONE THE PLOD LET THEM DEAL WITH IT

Edited by bob300w

Sorry mate the dates the plod gave me of the alledged offences i was working,

BASC yES HAVE BEEN A MEMBER 5 YEARS, but the insurance dont cover legal expensis and they dont retain lawyers so no insurance cover, I hope you can accept there is a case against the revoke and no charges were brought against me but i can not say too much yet

Edited by winchester

Sorry mate the dates the plod gave me of the alledged offences i was working,

BASC yES HAVE BEEN A MEMBER 5 YEARS, but they dont retain lawyers so no insurance cover, I hope you can accept there is a case against the revoke and no charges were brought against me but i can not say too much yet

So you contacted BASC and they would not offer any assistance? I find that disturbing, because this could happen to any one of us.

It's totally wrong that you can have a SGC revoked with no case, but it does happen, I know of two cases where a divorce was taking place, the wife said that she was afraid that the husband would shoot her, both men had their SGC's revoked immediately.

BASC will only offer you advice the firearms people there are musterd at this , but what you realy kneed is a lawyer, I had a telephone call the other day from BASC and they said BASC MAY Fund my case,BUT there again they may not ,

I have know joined SACS its only £30 per year the guy there is called Ian Clark and they dont just give you liability insurance but full leagel cover as well, thats half the price of BASC WITH DOUBLE THE COVER and it covers WHAT YOU NEED,

THIS IS IN NO WAY A basc put down but i am only speeking from my own expearience.

The land owner is the one to worry about tresspass, as an authorised person you have not had the act committed against you.

You did the right thing phoning the police, I'd follow it up with a written report, copy to club, with cc to their solicitors for info.

That will let the police know you are serious about it.

Sounds like they weren't committing a crime, right to roam more of less lets you do that - we can walk across our local golf course.

I'd never chase any one when I had my rifle with me, you could have ended up in a sticky situation.

Thank god you didnt catch them - you only have to have a gun with you to use it as a threat, you dont need to point it. I'm pretty sure I'd run if I saw 2 armed men yelling at me!

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think that tresspass is an arrestable offence. This means that you have no right to detain them. Maybe if you found them carrying armfulls of property that they had stolen that would be different. As an ordinary citizen you would have no rights to do anything other than hold a conversation with them. Put a hand on them and you could be held to have assaulted them.

I think you may be very lucky that they ran away. You could have been far more in the wrong then them. While carrying a firearm in this country cool heads are better than righteous indignation. If you had arrived in close proximity to them with firearms they could easily have claimed you threatened them with them. Threat is much more a matter of how the recipient of it feels rather than how you intended it so in fact you may well have threatened them since they felt threatened by your angry shouting and rushing at them armed to the teeth.

By the way - you are there to shoot rabbits not patrol like Dirty Harry. This isn't Bagdhad and you are not Blackwater Inc.

EDIT:

Ah - it's all been said as I now see on reading further. I think you are lucky to still have your rifle to be honest, however upright your intentions were.

Edited by Evilv