shaun4860

markm

Shaun who spends a lot of time on here (normally calling me) went into hospital for a second back operation on 08/08/08. The op went well (we think) but afterward he got an infection in his arm the needle went in.

Anyway to cut a long story short he got a rare form of gangrene (derm pia something something) and he has had all the flesh removed from his left arm from the elbow down to his wrist , apart from a 2 inch wide piece on the top, its still not sorted and they might now need to start removing tendons etc etc. There has been so much flesh removed they are unsure about the way forward, I know he is very very depressed about it.

To top it all off he still has never had a penny apart from the £100 sick pay per week from the gov for 2 years, he has paid tax all his working life etc etc and you see scum bags and visitors (illegal) getting everything, really makes me want to puke.

scaffy and i had a friend who nearly died because of being in the wansbeck. it's one seriously bad news hospital. our friend continues to have health issues because of his below standard treatment received there. every time he needs to go back into hospital, he refuses going to the wansbeck and thankfully can go to the borders general.

poor shaun. that is really horrendous news for him. no wonder he's depressed. is there any way we can help cheer him up?

I look after folk on a daily basis who have needles (cannulae) in place as they are essential for giving fluids or medicines.I cant remember when one of them became infected so badly that this sort of surgery had to be done.Usually a course of antibiotics sorts it out. Some of these things have to be put in place in less than ideal conditions,like in the back of an ambulance going at 100mph. What I mean is that even though this seems drastic measures,I have not known anyone to have REALLY bad consequences from an infected cannulae. This hospital ought to be following nationally approved protocols so the care SHOULD be good. If Shauns family have concerns about his care then they must speak to the Consultant who directs his care.If they get no joy out of him then they should lodge a complaint via the PALS service.Due to circumstances within my own family lately,despite me being in health care for 20+ years, I have learnt to complain quickly and loudly and effectively.Do not let the matter drop. :good:

thats awfull news... send him my regards...

i knew a bloke who got bit on the hand by some spider, his hand went the same way... they stripped off all the flesh.... the route they took to sort it was to graft his hand into a slit they made in his chest, when it had "took" they removed the hand with the new chest flesh on and made him a new hand...

very nasty business..

thats awfull news... send him my regards...

i knew a bloke who got bit on the hand by some spider, his hand went the same way... they stripped off all the flesh.... the route they took to sort it was to graft his hand into a slit they made in his chest, when it had "took" they removed the hand with the new chest flesh on and made him a new hand...

very nasty business..

Looks like they are going to do the same but attach it to his thigh.

scaffy and i had a friend who nearly died because of being in the wansbeck. it's one seriously bad news hospital. our friend continues to have health issues because of his below standard treatment received there. every time he needs to go back into hospital, he refuses going to the wansbeck and thankfully can go to the borders general.

poor shaun. that is really horrendous news for him. no wonder he's depressed. is there any way we can help cheer him up?

Seconded about the Wansbeck. I broke a couple of vertebrae in 2004 and had to go there. I lasted 6 hrs and discharged myself. They gave no pain relief and in my cubicle there was dried blood splashes everywhere and a bloodied, rusty pair of scissors. I bit my lip and drove myself back to Colchester to see the army docs instead. Pain like I've never experienced but it was worth it to get away from the Wansbeck. The place needs closing down - failing that a run over with a duster and mop might be a start.