Heartburn season

henry d

I was at a partridge shoot today and the lunch was a lovely steak bridie (Scottish pasty) and as a result I am now suffering from the delights of heartburn. When I get it I usually take "Hierbas" an aniseed liqueur from Spain/Balierics and apart from abstaining from pastry encased comestibles, what do you use for easing the after effects ??

I've had chronic heartburn for years. Most tablets or liquids are useless. Andews used to produce some horrible tablets in a tube/roll thing - Andrews Antacid. They were horrible gritty things but stunningly effective. They stopped it instantly. I can't seem to find them anywhere now :hmm:

However - Setlers do something similar - Setlers Antacid :lol:

Not quite as effective but damned good. 12 tablets in a roll, sold in boxes of about 8 rolls for £3.80 or so. They too are now getting hard to find, but Boots branches do them, don't know who else does. If Boots stop selling them, I don't know what the hell I'll do, because the other stuff really is useless. Rennies are just sweets - they'd probably actually make it worse, Gaviscon seems to take ages to start working, then the effects wear off in about half an hour :hmm:

It seems to be that the mincers have ensured that all out medicines have to taste "nice" or failing that, taste of blackcurrant or something puce. It doesn't seem to matter that they don't work, as long as they taste nice. It has always been the case that if it does any good, it tastes vile, but people today can't seem to go with that.

Edited by Chard

What is heartburn? I can honestly say I have never had it or indegestion.

I thought that is was something made up to sell rennies

It's excess stomach acid, that rises up your throat and burns like *******. It can completely ruin an evening out, a shoot, sex, anything :hmm:

Some people seem to be more prone to it than others. It can be aggravated by stress, which is certainly the case with me. Eating garbage, especially cake or pastry, is also guaranteed to get it going in a sufferer.

I'm surprised you don't get it in Mersea, because you can't see what you're eating over there half the time :hmm:

Edited by Chard

Eating garbage, especially cake or pastry, is also guaranteed to get it going in a sufferer.

Too true unfortunately. I've had to severely curtail my pie intake :hmm:

Liquid Gaviscon for immediate relief and tablet (I think it's Gavilast??) for longer term. Means you can eat more pies :hmm:

I used to get it bad when i was pregnant .

So the doctor gave me Gaviscon which worked a dream.

I find that i can suffer from heartburn now if i have to much rich food.(Must be a aged thing now) :good:

Isnt milk meant to be good for it.

Or you could cut out the rich food Henry.

But if your like me. Sometimes i like living life dangerously. :hmm::lol::good:

And now a days risking heartburn . Is about the most daring thing i do. :hmm:

xxxxxsuzy

I suffer from it badly occasionally and have found that tescos or sainsburys own brand fruit flavoured indigestion tablets work fine for me - bung a few in your mouth, chew and swollow.

they work, and at 89p for 48 they are a ****-load cheaper then rennies too!

omeprazole on prescription! one a day and you will never get heartburn again

cheers KW

Or Lanzoprozole. Stops your stomach producing acid instead of neutralizing it. See the GP,its not good to self medicate for long periods of time. Some folks have heartburn due to a gut bug which is easilly shifted.

H i hope it wasn`t one from stephens :hmm:

Nah, a small place near Kirrie, it didn`t help that we had drives in the afternoon that meant lots of bending over to get through the trees bushes etc. that litter the drives.

I think that it`s the physically strenuous afternoon that causes it and all shoots should finish at lunchtime :lol::hmm:

Take a tip from an old man who has eaten just about everything there is to eat . I teaspoon full of bicarbanate of soda in half a glass of water .Drink it down the hatch and you will be farting and burping in 5 minutes flat . This was recommended to me many years ago by a proper old doctor . Harnser .

I have to apologise, I have on numerous occasions listed the gear I take out on a shoot for one reason or another, but now have to admit my little secret.

I also carry a packet of Remgel, green chewy heartburn tablets :good: Oh, and theres allways a packet in my desk drawer at work, and at home, and in the glove box of my car, and in the wife's car, and.........

I've suffered for years and these babies work for me :mad:

Edited by Cosd