Two with one cartridge

Townie

Funny thing happened to me last week when I was shooting in woods.

A squirrel ran along a branch and jumped onto a branch of the tree next to it just as I'd spotted it and fired.

The squirrel fell, followed by what I assumed was a piece of branch I'd shot off. It turned out to be another squirrel that I hadn't seen.

Never happened to me before. How about everyone else?

Funny thing happened to me last week when I was shooting in woods.

A squirrel ran along a branch and jumped onto a branch of the tree next to it just as I'd spotted it and fired.

The squirrel fell, followed by what I assumed was a piece of branch I'd shot off. It turned out to be another squirrel that I hadn't seen.

Never happened to me before. How about everyone else?

It is a good idea to know what you are shooting and the shot is safe before pulling the trigger. Children climb trees as well!

A couple of posters make assumptions about visibility etc.... as indeed, I did the other way around e.g. ivy hides things in trees as do leaves. I deliberately put in an extreme example to make the point. However, a protected creature could have been there. For some reason in the original post the other squirrel was not seen.

I make no pretence of being righteous but do try hard to be cautious. The whole idea of accidental shooting of something fills me with horror.

Sounds to Me like you lot must be shooting Blunderbuses or muck spreaders :lol::lol::lol:

Not really, I too have had a pair of Pink foot a pair of Duck and a pair of Pigeons with the old one shot.

Learnt a valuable lesson one night though, I saw three Duck coming to Me, the front two were really close

Like a fool i got greedy and went for the pair with one shot, totally missed and then missed again with the second shot :D

Always pick a single bird out now, never got greedy since, If i get the ole two for one its a Billy Bonus :lol:

there is a large hazel wood at the back of me and every year as soon as the leaves are off the trees we start work on the culling sometimes we will shoot up to 200 sqirrels a day

with some of the higher dreys the lofting pole wont reach so its substituted for a heavy 12g load and last year we saw a squirrel go into this one drey so after about 6 shots trying to dislodge the drey it finally fell with 5 of the tree rats dead inside it

and for the people at home wondering we did shout at the dreys first to check there were no kids hiding in them :)

I was out pigeon shooting with my pal over decoys and the birds were coming in very well. I had taken three or four left and rights and like you do started to rib my pal . It was my turn to shoot ,and again i took a very nice left and right . I turned to my pal and said ,now thats what we shooting men call a left and a right .He replied with some rude words that cannot be printed on the forum .It was his turn to shoot and ther were about a dozen birds coming into the decoys tight to gether ,i could see that he was taking his time and thought the crafty *** is trying to get two with one shot ,any way he took his shot and killed three pigeons with just the one shot . He turned to me and said thats what us shooting men call a left and a right and a middle with one shot . Harnser .