hull sterling game 34 gm anyone

Ok interesting thoughts guys I have tried a few pigeon extreme gamebore in 5 at 34 gms are these a bit much too then? I just though that since they are the same weight the would be good for pigeons and the odd pheasant. Perhaps I'm wasting my cash and should shoot the 32 gm sterling game or similar? Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers WX

Wow cool moving pic thingy al4x! Mostly I do a bit of rough shooting and decoyed pigeons or geese so ur probably right a lighter cart would do I just thought with the longer shot string i would hit more stuff. Last time I went out decoying I hit around 37 percent of the time which seems a bit crappy. Probably better practicing though!

I like a fast cartridge and for the past two season have used Hull High Pheasant, a fast clean load and the same velocity as Sterling and about the same as Pro Fibre. I use the 30g fibre wad 6's and have no trouble with high birds.

I have never felt the need for larger loads for game birds with 30g being more than adequate and find that 6's do the job well, you would only need to up the size of the load if you went for a bigger shot size as pattern fails before penetration.

30g #6 is plenty!

My friend got a pheasent at 10 yards with one, crikey there was nothing left of it! Not a recommended range, but a good shot all the same!

Was out with a novice to walked-up shooting two years ago. Pheasant got up from under his feet and he dropped it ,again about 10yds off. Took its head clean off, which was lucky but made hanging it different to say the least!

No 6 for pigeon, no 5 for anything else. I never use more than 30grms and always fiber wads.

Except on clays of course!

It was a very lucky shot, he should have left it really, messed up the meat totally, only got a small amount of breast meat off it, the rest was mangled.

How was it a very lucky shot??? :good:

I trust he took no pleaseure form the shot and the meat was virtually totally wasted - what's the point in that?

• 1 month later...

it's a case of each to their own really i quite like the hull 34g No:5 and use them when the birds a high in winter, it's also quite a quick cartridge as well with good down range energy, great for high flying crows as well, iv'e had some good clean kills out to 65 yards with them. I use a semi so they don't really give me a hard time on the old shoulder. I aquired a load of different cartridges last year and iv'e been using them up, my last batch are super game No:4 36g I think so they will get used up next time i'm out

34 g can come in handy sometimes if the gun next to you is being a bit greedy (taking your birds) :good:

Pop them 34g in and shoot his out in front :lol:

I use a 36g quite often...... Either Lylavale super game or victory whites in 35g in 6's. Early season on partridges I may swop to 7's in the same load.

I always take the view a bird over my neighbours peg is a better bird than one over mine........