Which 4x4 Would You Rate As The Best?

golden_cocker

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I had a Disco 3, which I ran alongside a Disco 2 Td5 Commercial. The Disco 3 is very refined and smooth on-road, but nowhere near as good off-road as the Disco 2: the Disco 3 is significantly heavier, and lacks the ground clearance and live axles of its predecessor. As LV and Mungler will point out, you can pick up a Td5 Disco for peanuts. I ditched the Disco 3 and replaced it with another Td5.

Incidentally, the best 4x4 ever made is the Mercedes Unimog. The best everyday 4x4 ever made is the Defender.

I have a Mercedes ML270, it works fine across muddy fields and dirt tracks etc but has no diff locks or descent control, it has electronic low range which works ok with the tiptronic, you can pick them up at the right price now as well.

I would like to change mine but have no idea what 4x4 to have next, would prefer something smaller but with a lively engine.

No experience of the Disco 2 but I had a brand new Disco 3 which did everything I needed of it off road - that said, I am by no means an accomplished off-roader. Just good to have the ability to do so when the need arises, although the boots on my disco were far from what I'd class as off road tyres.

Personally would be a little concerned about the reliability of the Disco 2, clearly folks here have had good experiences but I know a few elsewhere that haven't.

Be interesting to see what the new LRX will be like off-road, it will be fitted with the latest all terrain system and the hybrid version promises in excess of 50mpg.

I like the look of the new Subaru Forester Turbo. The local vets use them and they seem very good. heavy on the gas though but cheap enough to buy when you think that flat four engine never fails.

Excellent car for on-road use (the Turbo is great fun), but really unsuitable off-road. The ground clearance and wheel clearance is very limited. The transmission set-up and tyre availability limits it to slithering around on muddy tracks and forays over stubble fields, and little else.