YOUR TOP TIP

Toombsy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon it would be great if we made a list of all those invaluable pigeon shooting, pigeon recipe or guncare tips

Mine is to always carry binoculars and spend as much time as necessary finding a suitable flight line before setting up :good:

What would you add to the list ?

Agree with Toombsy.

Make sure you know where the pigeons are. :yes:

Its the fly in the water, or the gun in the field that gets results.

If it's blowing hard, and the rain's horizontal, and you look out and think, not today, you could miss out on the best day of your life.

Get out there and enjoy it, you will never regret it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i always chuck my oval fishing brolly in the truck when i go, it's big enough to shield me from wind and rain and acts as a shade in the summer,amazingly birds take no notice of it you just put your hide across the front . It can be a bit restrictive so i only use it when it's needed, however, i have had my best days shooting using it when all the birds were right in the middle of a field on layed wheat, obviously there was no natural cover so i thought i'd give it a go. Had 149 birds and my mate turned up and joined me for a few hours and had 87 !

• 2 months later...

If shooting with someone, take a couple of two-way radios. you can give a heads up about birds/bunnies etc, and keep track of each other when you split up, as much for safety if anything.

Other than that, don't shoot unless absolutely sure of your target and backdrop.(I know, obvious,but safety first)

if the dog wont work some day, dont lose the head, shoot him and leave him lying there.

He'll last up to 6 months in the freezer :)

serious though, Ive built hides on my permission out of mostly natural trees etc, waiting for the crops to come. That way the vermin will be used to them when i go out.

wait till the bird/birds are committed to your decoys before moving / taking the shot

also try and take a hessian sack it summer to cover the birds you plan to eat it keeps the from becoming fly blown also if a lake or river near by dunk it in the water and cover your dead birds to keep them cool

enjoy your day no matter what

A few tips I've picked up in the first few weeks of owning a .22LR and rabbiting...

Pick a distance that's good for you (I chose 75 yards) and only take it out in the field when you're confident enough to hit the target with a clean kill each and every time.

Learn how much hold over you'll need for 100 yards (around an extra 2in), and how much hold under for 50 yards as I guarantee you'll need to know those sooner than you think in the field.

Buy a bipod - it will help massively.

If you've got no decent cover on your permission and stalking's almost impossible, set up a few low hides using a few twigs and even kicked-up earth 75-yards away from the warrens and lay up and wait for the bunnies to come out. Half an hour before daybreak and two hours before dusk are perfect times.