reccomend some tires please ...

myzeneye

my old mans got a Hyundai- tuscon thingy... not strictly a decent 4x4, but does the job for him and mum fine.... quite nice too really...

anyhoo,

most of his driving is on road but he also does alot on tracks/old drover's roads over welsh mountain top's etc... some a little perilous...

i think a 60/40 type may wear down too quick for him as his trips on the road are often at least 40-100 miles per journey, as they do live in a pretty out of the way location...but he does need that bit of extra grip when on the drovers roads etc....and in the odd field....the passing points in ALOT of his local roads are pretty crumby too so the normal road tyres which were on it when it came out the factory are'nt really up to much...

any suggestions ?

(sorry i dont have the sizes....)

Ive always been a fan of the insa remoulds, got the mud terrains on my defender, but ive fitted a set of all terrain high performace falken tyres on to my isuzu, they are fantastic road tyres made for high performace suvs, theyve been brilliant in this snow recently aswell, they are near enough the same price as remoulds , good quality made in japan, www.camskill.co uk cheaspest place by far to get them, falken do 2 tread patterns, the LA AT's and the t110'slike ive got

BFG's are arguably the best but at about £120 / £130 a corner you pay for the privilage

AT2's i ahd them, on a l200 and they didn't last

BFG mud terrains, the best off road but a all terrain tire i think would be better suited be it a insa or bfg, those would be my pic and then it would come down to price, money no object then BFG's

I run BFG mud terrain. Yot need to get the tyre that will perform the best in your worst case cenario

I used to run an all terain tyre that would some times let me down.

With the mud terrains they will cope with any thing and are good for about 60,0000 miles on road

So the initial outlay of 115 per tyre is justified in the long run

you won't beat the BFG's I had a set of all terrains on my last truck and give a good road drive as well as being better than average off road. I've a set of BFG long trails on my L200 and they are a bit more off road biased without being quite as rough a ride as the mud terrains but sadly they've stopped making them.

With the BFG AT's you'll get a minimum 50K miles out of them and people do have them go to 100K so the extra cost is well worth it.

only prob with the bfg's, say at £100 a corner, fair enough they can last x amount of miles, but if your off roading and damage the tyre its scrap anyway, i wouldn't want to get in to anything to ruff with them for fear of ripping the side walls or something like that, end of the day, everyone has their own preferences on tyres your best just going with whats in your price range and what you like the look of

Edited by EvoCars

• 6 months later...

Put a set of General Grabber AT2s on my Touareg yesterday. Only been on road so far and no more noisy than the previous road tyre - Hankook Ventus. Not cheap (£130 a corner, incl VAT and Fitting). Have read nothing but good reports on them including long life. I am guessing £130 is about the going rate for a decent 4x4 tyre in my size though - 225/55/18.

Will let you know how they fair offroad once I have had them a while.

• 3 weeks later...