How are you doing

pavman

Interesting to hear on the news today that the Police are bracing themselves for a summer of anticipated rioting.

Deep joy.

may i suggest

as the summer 09 theme song?

my place is a nightmare at the mo, the office is over staffed, a few people have been given the option of moving to under staffed offices but have turned it down, hoping to sit it out and putting the rest of us under pressure :good:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an uncertain time alright. I've faired quite well, not so for the deadwood that I've been able to move on. My bank's HR has finally grown a backbone and will now quite happily stand behind my resourcing decisions. So there are some upsides to being in the eye of this banking storm.

Im a Car salesman, And Believe it or not, the last 2 months we have ben really busy, Selling loads of used and ex demo cars. The new car sales are down but the used is making up for that!!

I dont mind i normally make more money selling the used ones anyway!! :good:

Hope things work out for all you guys soon too. :P

Mark

Im selfemployed grounds/ estate maintance and pestcontrol.

Thankfully Im renting at the moment, the winter has been very quiet this year but the phone is rining and work coming in so fingers crossed.

No holiday this year though as i fear next winter will be worse than this year. :good:

The chemical industry took a battering last year. We made significant redundancies at xmas. Raw material prices have dopped(oil prices) so trade has picked up and production is up. Everthing is quite good at the moment. That grey gloomy cloud that hung over our company is gone and staff seem happier and smiles are back on peoples faces

I don't know about the rest of you lot but everday last year all people talked about at work was the recession. It went on and on and on

Im happy and 2009 is looking very good :good::P So get off your **** and get a job ya dossers :):):lol:

Jonno

Edited by jonno 357

I cannot believe a whole year has now passed since this thread:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...mp;hl=recession

Neither can I actually, we eventually got the house for £133,000 and the mortgage is now £760 month repayment over 30 yrs.

I'm currently doing 11 hour shifts, six days a week at my full time job and 5 hours a night, four nights a week working part time - things were pretty stable until the mrs got made redundant last week, but she's doing her best to find something asap.

off to buy a new motor this weekend :good: so ok here

trouble is the dealer probably won't be there anymore when you go to pick it up :good:

I cant see Col driving round in a Ford, posh get that he is. I know of two dealerships that have closed in the local area, and my wife and i have both bought cars from them.

Im working two jobs, and the wife is in full time finance. This are good for us at the mo, but im paying the price now. Lying in bed with the man flu, and coughing up green stuff. (nice).

we have been experiencing job losses in Canada, i should keep my job as i am in the army but mat take a hit in pay, but dont no what my prospects will be like when i get out of the army

If you have the option to stay in you could weather the storm, any of your Sniper lads breaking any more records, top lads would make me feel warm and safe at night :good:http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/kill..._2430metres.asp sure would like to have a few lessons and tips from the guys :good:

Edited by pavman

As a self employed plumber, albeit three years past retirement age I have never found work so scarce. Last year I turned down five newbuilds as I did not want to be over busy when there are pigeons to shoot and fish to catch. Well it has all backfired the little bits and pieces I was looking for to give me 10 to 20 hours a week are just not forthcoming. Worse still back trouble has prevented me making the most of the idleness with visits to the rape fields and river banks. Bah!

Tweedsider

As a self employed plumber, albeit three years past retirement age I have never found work so scarce. Last year I turned down five newbuilds as I did not want to be over busy when there are pigeons to shoot and fish to catch. Well it has all backfired the little bits and pieces I was looking for to give me 10 to 20 hours a week are just not forthcoming. Worse still back trouble has prevented me making the most of the idleness with visits to the rape fields and river banks. Bah!

Blackpowder

Highlander had one of the best points early on in this thread, for the general in work consumer things haven't been this good in a long time. Mortgages will have stayed the same or fallen, oil price is through the floor so petrol diesel and a lot of goods you buy are down in price. Food is generally down from the very high wheat prices of a year or so ago so why are we entering this recession. Everybody is feeling it with the general public spending has pretty much stopped. I run a courier company and our clients make up a pretty diverse range of industries and all except the lawyers have seen business drop off a cliff.

So if people actually started this recession with more in their pockets what was it that caused them to batten down the hatches and stop spending. I believe a lot can be laid at the medias door with trying to encourage general panic and they've managed it very well, as they've got people to stop spending so all industries have become affected and then the job losses have started which has caused financial hardship to a lot of people.

The whole mortgage argument just doesn't really stack up, had people been that badly affected then the drops in interest rates would have had more of an effect. I'm currently 1K a month better off just from the drop in my tracker mortgage yet with all the hype just don't feel like splashing out on a new car etc yet on the other hand part of me knows we've got to spend to get out of this. Sadly though I also think the worst is yet to come and can see a lot more companies going bust with the chaos that surrounds it if it keeps on going.

i work for a company which service domestic appliances like washing machines etc, we have seen a drop in our work load as an effect of the building slump. Most of our work is for 3 manufacturers with new kitchens etc not being put in the way they were the sales of appliances has also dropped, the talk at the moment is of going on to a 4 day week, it's the 1st i've witnessed this type of thing in my working life and must admitted it's scaring me as i've got a lot of finanial responsibles now that means a 4 day week doesn't seem as appealing anymore as it would have 3 years ago when i lived with the parents.

I run a property maintenance and damp proofing company, things are very slow. Lots of people putting the work off until later in the year.

The mortgage comes to the end of it's reduced rate and since earnings are down, I am not looking forward to trying to get a reduced rate mortgage :good:

The future is uncertain for us, so I hope things don't bite too hard.

It is of course bad news to hear of folk losing jobs in the recession and its hard enough to make a buck under normal circumstance. However my assistants partner is a Bailiff and he has never been more in demand, so I was just wondering is anyone else doing OK be nice to hear of some good fortune for a change

Interesting post bigman :hmm:

I find myself inundated with work so much so that the first day off in the last six weeks was last Sunday.

Anyone with a car that needs repair is now actively looking around for keener prices and as I am up against main dealer prices I am having difficultly finding enough hours in the day to reap this harvest.

My £180k debt is tumbling like the banks share prices, which is nice ;)

No time for any feldsports though other than snaring foxes.

LB

I run a property maintenance and damp proofing company, things are very slow. Lots of people putting the work off until later in the year.

The mortgage comes to the end of it's reduced rate and since earnings are down, I am not looking forward to trying to get a reduced rate mortgage :hmm:

The future is uncertain for us, so I hope things don't bite too hard.

you'll probably find it'll drop if you just let it go onto the banks standard variable rate ;)

However if you want to fix the fees are getting pretty harsh

Work is going well but the best bit is that our mortgage has dropped by £600 a month since the interest rate cuts.

interesting, I am doing the opposite by paying as much as possible each month off the mortgage to reduce the capital whilst rates are low, there is only one way rates can go and thats up rather than take a lower monthly payment I have increased it as i would only spend the new found money on shooting kit :hmm: the result will be i own the house much quicker than planned and that cant be bad ;)

interesting, I am doing the opposite by paying as much as possible each month off the mortgage to reduce the capital whilst rates are low, there is only one way rates can go and thats up rather than take a lower monthly payment I have increased it as i would only spend the new found money on shooting kit ;) the result will be i own the house much quicker than planned and that cant be bad :lol:

Very sound advice paying down the principle rather than frittering away the reduced payments on other things. :yes: I am waiting for the time rates are forced back up to enable the government to continue selling bonds / gilts to overseas investors as the pathetic interest being "lost" on my savings is a joke. :hmm:

There is a poster on airgunbbs who works for a company currently recruiting

Construction Jobs - North West / Wales ?

Is there anybody on here who has rail experience currently looking for a job ?

The company I work for is looking for an agent and a sub-agent for the North West and a Site-engineer in Welshpool. Also QS's

PM me if your interested

Note to mods - I'm not a recruitment agent - these jobs are at the construction company I work for. Just looking to help out anyone whos fallen / may be falling on hard times.

ATB

Ian

May be of use to someone on here who is looking for work?