FAC Application problem

So she is in favor of a gun safe to keep my current non FAC's in check.

Looking around the house I have two places to put it and she is not happy with either.

She wants it in the garage which is an obvious NO-NO for my fac app. Shotgun and air rifle fac.

Can I put it in the attick? would it still have to be against a brick wall? Could I fix it to wooden roof supports? I use a step ladder to gain access to the attick space would this be acceptable?

This is the West Mercia area.

Help me please!

Carbon

the problem that some forces have with cabinets being up in the loft is the probability that after you have been out in the small hours lamping possibly cold, wet and also knackered, will you go to the trouble to put your rifle back in the loft ?

there is a good chance you will leave it out, therefore standing a chance maybe only a small one of some other person other than yourself gaining access to that fire arm.

Do you have a fitted units in your bedroom could you put inside your half ?maybe a cupboard under the stairs, pantry ?

there must be some where it could go. What does your Mrs do for a hobby or interest? not being too personal! :bye2:

how much room does her make up bag take up and how many pairs of shoes does she have???

compromise :D

and good luck

My FEO hates cabinets fitted in the loft, He hates climbing ladders lol. there must be another space in your house, if your cabinet can`t stand on its end lay it flat along the ground if you have a cupboard under the stairs.

Your other option if you are really stuck ask your FEO to come round tell him your problem and he should walk around with you and give you all the options, then speak to your wife again.

What you do is install it within the guidelines specified by the home office /police then there is no argument , The rules also apply to the FEO if it installed as per the standards required by the authorities then they have no argument that you may not want to go into the loft after you have returned from shooting . any further comment from the feo is only a comment by him/herself , On renewal 20 years ago I had the same comment but the fact that i had floored the loft and it was occupied by 7 reloading presses and metal cabinets for powder storage and components , Before he had even looked at it blew his comments out of the water.

You can also install the security in the house to the feo's requirements and then move it within the same address and no further notification to the police is required.

On my last renewal I read through the letter the police sent me and there was a paragraph added that stated if a loft was going to be used then there had to be a permanently attached method of access, it had to be floored and there had to be a permanent mains light in there. I would think it is more to do with health and safety at work, with the FEO not allowed to go up a ladder into a darkened area etc, but if not complied with no licence.

When are women ever happy? Tell her females have small feet for a reason - so they can stand closer to the sink, and that maybe that's what she should go and do rather than boss you around :good:

Sometimes in life we don't agree. That's just how it is. If your safe needs to go there then tell her that there isn't a choice in the matter because A: you need the safe and B: those are the only places that will be accepted. Understandably if you have a nice tidy home she doesn't want to be staring at an ugly metal box every time she passes it. I can understand that. Get yourself a nice cupboard or small wardrobe from Ikea, or if you're a good DIYer make one, and cut the back out so it will fit around the safe. Then you can have a nice pine cupboard to look at instead and things will be much nicer.

I had mine in my wardrobe until I moved. The FEO actually said it was better in there because for one it was easy to get to and secondly it was out of view. :drinks:

I'm afraid I would have to crush the opposition on this one. Some things aren't negotiable and she needs to understand that. I do a lot of compromising when she starts and it has to be two-way or the whole thing goes to cock. :drinks:

My shotgun cabinet is in the wardrobe - end of story, I didn't ask, I just put it there because it was the most sensible place for it.

She married a shooter and this comes with the scenery :good:

Edited by Chard

Mine is in the loft, Rawl bolted to the wall and coach bolts down into the beams. A pack of VP90 and a few packets of the silica stuff keeps it all bone dry, but my loft is fairly well sealed.

What have you put in for on the FAC?

Hi Having same problems with wife :drinks: , not only she doesnt want shot gun in the house, not mentioned a metal safe in the bedroom, after much discussion it wil be in the loft :D if the local fao agrees :yay: , out today having her nails done again including her hair,buying shoes+++ and hand bags which is taking over the place,cant stand em but cant live without them :good:

My Father has his in the garage. I wanted to put mine in the loft but I have a small loft.

I told the misses she has no say in it. lol. She came back from shopping one day and I had fitted it...

Phil

thats the way to do it :drinks:

My Father has his in the garage. I wanted to put mine in the loft but I have a small loft.

I told the misses she has no say in it. lol. She came back from shopping one day and I had fitted it...

Phil

The locking top box is to keep your balls in, when your misses gives them back..................................

I'm going to ask for mine back one day :drinks:

Thanks for the helpful comments everone.

I will start talks about talks in this subject with her. She has too many clothes on hangers, I have a few and may need to reduce my hanger space. I will rearrange the house while she is away and take the flak on her return. Will purchase the safe in the next few days so it is known that a space is required for it!

Carbon