A word of warning

we need a uniform national license issue center with one standard criteria .... NO CONVICTIONS ..Some Cheif Constables are hard and some soft when it comes to issue. I heard it was comming soon as incidents with firearms are becoming all too regular...CAUSED by mainly by NONE license holders admitted. But Surely in order to keep the "sport of shooting" clean it has to be don

could you tell us where you got this little snippet from please.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Wow ! That ruffled some feathers. Looks like we have a lot with opinions and "convictions" to match .Could we have some sort of a "poll" please ... or would I be hung :oops: As for my source this was a comment on debate in house of lords last year when it was said that there was to be set up a NATIONAL DATA BASE of license firearms holders within the UK and that at the moment only " County " police firearms units and their County police HQ databse ..hold details of holders in their County ONLY. I did not WISH to make my comment seem HARSH to you all but I belive it would make sense. Yes it would STOP several people from holding a license.Existing holders COULD KEEP THEIRS UNTIL YOU BROKE THE LAW .Yes I have drove over the speed limit...BUT NEVER BEEN CAUGHT (thats the difference) and before you say I am still guilty but never been caught still makes me one of you... Then I say :lol: Im lucky .. I keep mine ..You would loose yours ,as you were found guilty and caught. Sorry as you may be now.. reformed you may be now... but still in the eyes of the law a criminal...(nothing personally offensive meant here) .My comment was just a thought on the subject perhaps criminal convictions are common amongst members on here? How many? but I have ruffled some feathers, and shot between some members eyes. I think perhaps if I have .....then I am right...... we do need new law to tighten up the granting of licenses. :yes:???:lol: Edited by Warm Barrels

Spent or otherwise. Be upfront about anything. That's what I did. Had a stupid little court fine from 20 years ago but still put that down on the form. The FAO even called me the day after and said he didn't want to say anything in front of the other half in case she didn't know about it. She did so it wouldn't have been a problem anyway but the guy has my total respect for the level of discretion he showed me.

As it turns out, after I thanked him and told him what it was for he said it didn't even show up on their records. You take your chances if you decide to hide something and have no one but yourself to blame if it goes against you. At least if you're upfront with them and they decline your application you may have a chance to appeal.

Just what I think anyway. And here's tuppence to go with it so you can go and get 8 fruit salads.

But seriously, the firearms officers that visit you are good at their jobs else they wouldn`t be doing what they are doing, the managers that sign your licences off are also very good at their jobs, these people are acting on behalf of your chief constables so if they made a mistake in judgement and gave a firearms/shotgun to the wrong person would anyone like to hazard a guess as to what would happen to them?

There has to be a certain ammount of moderation in matters like this and criminal records etc are taken very seriously, i have the utmost confidence in my FEO and his judgement, the same goes for his manager.

Oh I just have to take issue with you on these comments as you've obviously got you thumb up your bum, your mind in neutral and your mouse finger on auto! Try substituting bankers and all the jerks who've got this country into our current financial position and as for Chief Constables ...well what happened to the jerk off who was responsible for Dunblane??? Get real and think before you post such drivel. Just because people have the job doesn't follow that they are good or even suitable for it...what about Gordon the Gorgon, has the job but GOOD at it, SUITABLE for it??? My ****!

:lol: Wow ! That ruffled some feathers. Looks like we have a lot with opinions and "convictions" to match .Could we have some sort of a "poll" please ... or would I be hung :oops: As for my source this was a comment on debate in house of lords last year when it was said that there was to be set up a NATIONAL DATA BASE of license firearms holders within the UK and that at the moment only " County " police firearms units and their County police HQ databse ..hold details of holders in their County ONLY. I did not WISH to make my comment seem HARSH to you all but I belive it would make sense. Yes it would STOP several people from holding a license.Existing holders COULD KEEP THEIRS UNTIL YOU BROKE THE LAW .Yes I have drove over the speed limit...BUT NEVER BEEN CAUGHT (thats the difference) and before you say I am still guilty but never been caught still makes me one of you... Then I say :lol: Im lucky .. I keep mine ..You would loose yours ,as you were found guilty and caught. Sorry as you may be now.. reformed you may be now... but still in the eyes of the law a criminal...(nothing personally offensive meant here) .My comment was just a thought on the subject perhaps criminal convictions are common amongst members on here? How many? but I have ruffled some feathers, and shot between some members eyes. I think perhaps if I have .....then I am right...... we do need new law to tighten up the granting of licenses. :yes:???:lol:

if this was ever to happen a good few keepers would be without a job.

nearly every week in the shooting news we see keepers convicted of killing bird of prey etc. by various means, illegal set traps, poisoning,shooting etc..

sack em,take away there ticket, guilty. no questions.

:lol: Wow ! That ruffled some feathers. Looks like we have a lot with opinions and "convictions" to match .Could we have some sort of a "poll" please ... or would I be hung :oops: As for my source this was a comment on debate in house of lords last year when it was said that there was to be set up a NATIONAL DATA BASE of license firearms holders within the UK and that at the moment only " County " police firearms units and their County police HQ databse ..hold details of holders in their County ONLY. I did not WISH to make my comment seem HARSH to you all but I belive it would make sense. Yes it would STOP several people from holding a license.Existing holders COULD KEEP THEIRS UNTIL YOU BROKE THE LAW .Yes I have drove over the speed limit...BUT NEVER BEEN CAUGHT (thats the difference) and before you say I am still guilty but never been caught still makes me one of you... Then I say :lol: Im lucky .. I keep mine ..You would loose yours ,as you were found guilty and caught. Sorry as you may be now.. reformed you may be now... but still in the eyes of the law a criminal...(nothing personally offensive meant here) .My comment was just a thought on the subject perhaps criminal convictions are common amongst members on here? How many? but I have ruffled some feathers, and shot between some members eyes. I think perhaps if I have .....then I am right...... we do need new law to tighten up the granting of licenses. :yes:???:lol:

after Henryd,s last post if warm barrels told me it was Tuesday tomorrow i would have trouble believing it.

Troll or rambling old fool, not sure.

Definately not a troll "markbivvy" although YOU living in Leeds (Yorkshire) and been in SACS seems weired to me...(SCOTTISH PERHAPS?) OR is it just ..."Bash a gamekeeper week" ...and "Warm Barrels" has his turn this week as some fine members on here seem to be doing. Still wise and old enough to take. Perhaps members are not following the topics right as it was my friend orkney gun from Scotland that was with (proTom1) they were shooting pigeon in Lincs somewhere ..IT WAS NOT ME as stated on here by a member ... proTom1 IS a member on here ask him....Ah better not eh? prolongs the debate/discussion/etc.. Nice thought though being a "Troll" or a James Bond type "undercover agent" for some "Anti Brigade". Ah ! to work.... now where did I leave my trench coat.

Edited by Warm Barrels

:lol: Have you seen the latest issue of "Shooting Times" mag. Well there is an article in there about the proposed National Firearms License set up written by one of the BASC ..bods This is whats proposed and (has been since the 1997 Firearms act came into force ) and the powers that be have not got round to setting up the data base yet, from when it was originally thought up. Our friends at BASC ARE AGAINST CERTAIN ASPECTS OF IT.This may include the facillity to withold licenses from those with convictions.Our Lords may be seen to be "decrepid" at times but we do need tighter control of the guns

issue. for all our sake :lol:

Edited by Warm Barrels

for gawds sake warm barrells you've been outed as having the same computer as Orkney gun and a load of ficticious guns.

back to this the police accept that if you did something naughty when you were 17 that by the time you're 30 you probably have grown up and won't do it again. Its simple everyone does it and so its not hard and fast about if you've a criminal record sometimes you can get your shotgun and firearms license. Its all common sense, if you were a keeper odds are you would know people with convictions who have their licenses.

This is an entertaining thread - anyone who makes an application for a shotgun certificate to a police force and doesn't put on their convictions (however old) is either 1) Not very bright or 2) trying to have one over on the police (either way the police will take a dim view). Dates of convictions are not required (the police can sort that) but all must be declared - there is an argument that if you have so many that you forget one or two then the SGC will be refused (not fit and proper) but obviously people do change over time and as long as they can possess a shotgun without posing a threat or danger then happy days. :look:

Reading back through this topic, theres one thing thats being overlooked.

The declaring of offences is as much an honesty check as it it anything else.

That said Mr Warped Barrels, you've been exposed as being dishonest about several things on this topic. So, being dishonest, why should you be entitled to a Firearms or Shotgun Certificate?

The Firearms Licensing Managers already have the discretion to grant or refuse certificates, AND IT WORKS IN THE MAIN.

You give the impression that you don't give a toss about the sport of shooting in general. JUST YOUR PART IN IT.

• 2 months later...

Just applied for my SGC Having already held a certificate before i ticked no for convictions as i had already stated my conviction on my previous application even though i let my certificate run out without renewing due to moving home and changing jobs but i decided i missed shooting so decided to apply again after a 10 month absence, on question 14 it states any conviction since your last application renewal i there for assumed since putting it on my previous application i didnt need to put it on this on, now thinking it may have been a mistake i rang humberside firearms informing them of my mistake was told not to worry just in form FEO when they come to interview me they could not see a problem as i have had a SGC before and stated on that my conviction, i told them i just didn't want them to think i was trying to hide my convictions they seemed ok ill wait and see

:yes: Wow ! That ruffled some feathers. Looks like we have a lot with opinions and "convictions" to match .Could we have some sort of a "poll" please ... or would I be hung :lol: As for my source this was a comment on debate in house of lords last year when it was said that there was to be set up a NATIONAL DATA BASE of license firearms holders within the UK and that at the moment only " County " police firearms units and their County police HQ databse ..hold details of holders in their County ONLY. I did not WISH to make my comment seem HARSH to you all but I belive it would make sense. Yes it would STOP several people from holding a license.Existing holders COULD KEEP THEIRS UNTIL YOU BROKE THE LAW .Yes I have drove over the speed limit...BUT NEVER BEEN CAUGHT (thats the difference) and before you say I am still guilty but never been caught still makes me one of you... Then I say :yes: Im lucky .. I keep mine ..You would loose yours ,as you were found guilty and caught. Sorry as you may be now.. reformed you may be now... but still in the eyes of the law a criminal...(nothing personally offensive meant here) .My comment was just a thought on the subject perhaps criminal convictions are common amongst members on here? How many? but I have ruffled some feathers, and shot between some members eyes. I think perhaps if I have .....then I am right...... we do need new law to tighten up the granting of licenses. :lol::yes::yes:

DMG-27_LRG.jpg

When i was sixteen i was arrested for drunk and disorderly, Now 19 years on i'm virtually T total only drinking on special ocasions around three times a year at most fourteen pints in all. In you world i would be condemned for life for some silly actions that took place as i was growing up. THANK GOD society and the police do not share your same views. I'm sure if you look at yourself you will have done some things in life you will regret.

(one of the unworthy one's) Steve.

Just remember eagle eyes that most of us managed to get through pubety without beeing arrested for anything .

Harnser .

Well, from what I can see this thread seems to have turned out to be a bit of a slanging match, why does this so often have to happen on such a good forum as this? Anyway back to the point.

As someone has already stated, "It's a question of honesty"! I have a criminal record and, without wanting to go into any details I am quite ashamed of my past, (all be it many years ago), so much so that I had doubts that I would ever get a SGC let alone a FAC! However I decided that my circumstances warented trying to get a SGC. When it came down to the question of "convictions" it clearly stated that you had to disclose "ALL CONVICTIONS" and that it was an offence not to do so. So, as I could not remember all of them (including motoring offences) I went about it the "easy" way. I applied for a "Subject Access Form" and paid a £10.00 fee. The full details or my (Rather Undesirable) record were sent to me in printed form and I enclosed the full details (As sent to me) with my application along with an accompanying letter explaining why I had gone about answering the question in this way. My application was processed and I got my visit from the FEO who was very understanding and explained that although some of these past offences caused concern they were so long ago that they would take into account that a person can change! (Most of my "problems occured while I was in my late teens and I am now in my late 50's)

I got my SGC also now have my FAC (.22 Semi Auto and 22-250)

The moral of this post is that when a police form stated that you MUST disclose all previous offences then you need to do exactly that! If like me you have had an undesirable past, as long as you are honest about it you still might be able to get a SGC of FAC, but if you try to "hide" details you will almost certainly get found out!

(Please do not try asking what my "past offences" involved as I will refuse to answer the question, especially on an open forum, it should be sufficient to know that the police are fully informed and happy with the fact that I have "paid the price" and that I have both made ammends and changed my life around)