R.I.P. Arnie (Charaharley Top Notch)

Ozzy Fudd

I had to get Arnie put down this afternoon. I'm totally devestated. I've had him since he was about 10 weeks old, through thick and thin. He's been sick for a few weeks, lost a lot of weight, but the vet finally got all the test results back this morning and confirmed he had leukemia and an oversized spleen. They could have treated the leukemia in the short term, but if Jess (the other rottie) had hit him in the wrong place his spleen wouldve ruptured and he would have bled out before I could even call the vet, so I decided now was the best time while he still had his dignity.

Technically he was a surprise christmas present for my then girlfriend, but he very soon became my dog, and when I left he came with me. I'd always been very wary of rottweilers (believing all the bad press) and at the time I'd been thinking of a black lab, but sheer coincidence combined with good luck meant I arrived home with a rottweiler, and I've never regretted it, because even though as a pup he was a complete *******, because of him I fell in love with the breed, and bought a bitch, Jess. He got called many things over the 3 and a half years I had him (especially the night he broke my ankle), but at the end of it all he was still my dog; he wouldnt accept treats from anyone else, never took his eyes off me even if we were in a room full of people, and loved nothing more than lying on the armchair beside me watching me work on the laptop. Without being too dramatic he once saved my life when a herd of bullocks charged me and I had no way out (or buckshot). I braced myself for the impact and told him to run home, but it never came. Instead he shot out from behind me like a guided missile straight into the lead bullock and knocked it over, before routing the rest of them. As I walked towards the gate he followed me but kept back, anything that came near us got swiftly chased again.

I could go on but I wont, firstly because it'd bore you, secondly I dont think I can write much more without flooding the laptop. But I will say one final thing, and that is that I'll never own another male rottweiler again. As his show name says he was top notch, the top notch, andonce youve had the best dog in the world theres no point getting another one. Good bye big fella :good:

post-14404-1240863509.jpg

post-14404-1240863517.jpg

post-14404-1240863523.jpg

post-14404-1240863529.jpg

post-14404-1240863542.jpg

post-14404-1240863550.jpg

post-14404-1240863557.jpg

I had to get Arnie put down this afternoon. I'm totally devestated. I've had him since he was about 10 weeks old, through thick and thin. He's been sick for a few weeks, lost a lot of weight, but the vet finally got all the test results back this morning and confirmed he had leukemia and an oversized spleen. They could have treated the leukemia in the short term, but if Jess (the other rottie) had hit him in the wrong place his spleen wouldve ruptured and he would have bled out before I could even call the vet, so I decided now was the best time while he still had his dignity.

Technically he was a surprise christmas present for my then girlfriend, but he very soon became my dog, and when I left he came with me. I'd always been very wary of rottweilers (believing all the bad press) and at the time I'd been thinking of a black lab, but sheer coincidence combined with good luck meant I arrived home with a rottweiler, and I've never regretted it, because even though as a pup he was a complete *******, because of him I fell in love with the breed, and bought a bitch, Jess. He got called many things over the 3 and a half years I had him (especially the night he broke my ankle), but at the end of it all he was still my dog; he wouldnt accept treats from anyone else, never took his eyes off me even if we were in a room full of people, and loved nothing more than lying on the armchair beside me watching me work on the laptop. Without being too dramatic he once saved my life when a herd of bullocks charged me and I had no way out (or buckshot). I braced myself for the impact and told him to run home, but it never came. Instead he shot out from behind me like a guided missile straight into the lead bullock and knocked it over, before routing the rest of them. As I walked towards the gate he followed me but kept back, anything that came near us got swiftly chased again.

I could go on but I wont, firstly because it'd bore you, secondly I dont think I can write much more without flooding the laptop. But I will say one final thing, and that is that I'll never own another male rottweiler again. As his show name says he was top notch, the top notch, andonce youve had the best dog in the world theres no point getting another one. Good bye big fella :good:

bye :good::lol: .hes a beautiful dog :good:

Had to have a Lurcher, Chance, put down last year, broke my heart and I am 6ft 4" and had a hard life playing rugby....lol:

DSCF0356-2.jpg

In the end I couldn't do it and my father in law took him in into the vets for me, a very sad day for me. So I know how you feel. BUT then came along a lovely little bitch, Fleur, the brindle one:

Picture001-4.jpg

So as much as I miss Chance, Fleur is a 'God send', to me and my young son, even the wife like's her ....lolol

All three were rescues and turned into super dogs.

Dave B

theyre all super dogs mate :good:

i still have jess, you can see her in the pics, but its heart breaking at the mo watching her run around on her own. the vet came to the house earlier to give him the injection, he died in my arms, then i took her in so she could see him, sounds daftbut i wanted her to know. ormally when theyre seperated she howls the place down but tonight theres not a sound from her :good:

Get another one asap, it helps everyone get over it, including the remaining dog.

I watched the fawn Lurcher, Taz, search for his mate for a few days, even took off to their local haunts looking for him, but when Fleur arrived he settled and stop crying and searching.

Dave B

sorry to hear about your dog, looked lovely.

sometimes you have to make that difficult decision and its so hard, I had to do it myself, had a lab gundog Toby from pup and he was nearly 14 when I had to have him put to sleep due to illness, so I know exactly how you are feeling now.

You have to think what a good life you had together and your happy memories and at the end of the day if he was ill you have made the right decision.

take care

gutted for you mate i know how you feel,i also fell in love with rotties about 12 years ago and never looked back...this was my first and with his elder mommy to keep him in check :lol:post-14469-1240872232.jpg

but sadly i lost them both about 6 years ago within 2 weeks of each other and was gutted...didn't know what to do with myself as he was my best friend :(

so decided there was only one thing to do......and here are my new best mates post-14469-1240873183.jpg

they are brothers the same age 6 in oct mate and they have caused me loads of hassle but they are great and i wouldn't want it any other way :no:

i am sure you will get over it in your own way but 2 make the best companionspost-14469-1240873673.jpg

the little b ugger :lol::lol::lol: