Insurances

Hey guys

i have been a member of BASC and unfortunately it expired a couple of weeks ago. Am just about to sign up again and just wondered what other people have thought of them, services offered. Or even any alternatives of other companies offering insurances.

I am looking for an insurance that will cover golf course shooting, would anyone have any knowledge that the general insurance provided by basc etc will cover this.

Any thoughts appreciated

thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BASC will cover all forms of legitimate shooting as I understand it. In my opinion they are the best organisation to be with. Other people will tell you different.

A bit dearer than some of the others but a lot more helpful should you ever need advice.

I get this really faint hunch that BASC is the boy to go for!

Must say, my last insurance was through BASC, but just wanted to put it out there for opinions! Sorry to waste your time guys

Rob

its not really wasting time though, you asked about Insurance and yes you can get insurance elsewhere and it will be @ a third of the BASC cost and thats probably where about that proportion of your money goes with BASC the rest goes into a quite substantial marketing and lobbying machine. So its horses for courses either you want insurance or to contribute to the vast machine that is BASC.

All I would say is this:

If insurance is your big motivator for joining an association, make sure they give you a policy summary and indeed a copy of the full policy wording before you part with your cash, so you know what you are buying. The policy summary Key Facts document is VERY important as by law this MUST tell you what the main EXCLUSIONS on the policy are. These are the nasty bits that can leave you exposed. If they wont or can't give you the Key Facts info...well would you buy it without knowing what is in the ‘small print’?

Secondly, the chances of you ever making a claim on the policy is very small - about 1 in 2000 - not big odds! I think you should support the shooting association whose objectives fit you the best - support an organisation for what they do for you, for shooting and for the future of shooting.

David

BASC was my last insurer, i have just seen threads in parts of the site not fully supporting and wanted to get peoples thoughts.

I can say i have had no issues with them and was very pleased with them. Plus i think having BASC means more to farmers/country men when providing permissions.

I have jus tpicked up a golf course permission, and i just wasnt sure if standard basc would cover this, but i will ring and check.

The NFU, as I understand it, operate about 200 offices in the UK, each one is in effect its own small business. As such some offices may well know about shooting and offer insurance for it, some may not.

Being a member of 6 forums and using these to answer questions about BASC etc is just part of my job, not all of it by any means. My main responsibility is to generate 98% of the income for BASC by membership recruitment and membership retention - but yes I can assure you it is a cracking job to have- working on something you passionately believe in, something where you can make a difference, and where you work with loads of people who share your passion foe shooting...is there a better job for a shooter...maybe, but not many!

David

I would just like to add that one of my permissions I got via BASC (cheers David) and wouldn't have if I wasn't a member.

Most of the other farms I cover with a friend (who is also a member) are relieved when we tell them we are members of BASC and covered by their insurance, I think it gives the farmer/landowner confidence and show's that we take our sport/work seriously and we are more likley to get a positive response .

I joined BASC at a suffolk country fair last month, I've since received all the bumf. What impressed me is not only insurance but the overall ethos of protecting the rights of people to use the countryside for traditional pursuits. Too often PC erodes our rights as British People doing British things.