On / Off Road Tyre Recommendations

RedRobin

you might notice a slight one Cat but not much, I've a set of the Geolanders on mine and they are reasonable off road. No road noise issues, they will be changed for BFG's when they wear out but they have been ok in all but really muddy conditions.

OK, thanks al4x, will give them a go when my fronts are up for a change..!

Cat.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used the geolander go12 on snow and ice,reviews say there not as good as winter tyres as you would expect but I had a previous model geolander on a honda crv in 2010 and they dealt with that winter no problems.

Just came down through Glencoe with them yesterday in 2 wheel drive in up to 2 inch snow on road, not as much grip as proper winter tyres on braking and acceleration (but much better than road tyres).

For what its worth I have just fitted a set of falken wildpeaks and so far very impressed. Plenty of grip on the road in both wet and dry with very little road noise. Haven't properly tested them off road yet but just pulled a twin axle ifor out of my dad's yard (which resembles the Somme in parts) and didn't seem to slip at all.

Time will tell how long they last but at 1/3rd cheaper than bfgs with a similar tread pattern they were worth a go. I have fitted falkens on my other cars (not 4x4) and always been happy.

BF Goodrich A T have stood the test of time on most of my shoots but I did get stuck twice and went for Mud Terrain and they have not let me down. My Disco is used as a working tool to enable me to get to the position I want to the amazement of some Farmers.

Just paid 530 for a set of at's the first thing i notice is I can stop my Defender on the road. :lol: Toyed with MT's but mostly my farm driving is over stone and so they should be ok I hope. Whilst my Defender is very much a shooting bus I dont want to drive anywhere I am going to churn up the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, thanks al4x, will give them a go when my fronts are up for a change..!

Cat.

I actually changed the geolanders the other day for a new set of the grabber AT as the cost was too much to stomach between them and the BFG and I can say they are quieter than the geolanders on the road and economy seems no different. They do feel very good both on and off road. Not sure if I'd swap two though as they do seem to grip very well

• 11 months later...

Hi PW.

I didnt bother changing my tyres at the time of the Original Post ... tight A55 , Needed to get the most out of these Falken Land Air's... Terrible tyres on my Mitsi Outlander inthe Damp in 2WD . OK in 4WD . Just.

Right Before I commit to a Todays Quote of £370 Fitted ( which I thought was a Fab Price ) for the Yokohama Geolander AT G012, which look a good all round tyre, even in the snow , if & When it falls ?

... Do I go for the BFG ?

Sorry to open up yet anotehr Can of Worm Discussion

General Grabber ATs have been fine for me.

Did 30+K on them in my grand vitara, still had loads of life left when I sold the car!! I liked them enough to put a set on my pick-up and as expected, not been stuck yet.

Mind you, I don't do any "hard core" off roading, I'm just driving about farms, wet grass fields and the edges of farm land etc ... they are more than good enough.

Only noticed a very small increase in fuel consumption too, literally only 1-2 mpg.

post-11306-0-69305300-1480245681_thumb.jpg

Id go 80% off road/20% road, AT's are fine but just don't clear the clay stype stuff and effectively you end up with a set of slicks.I changed to AT's but needed to use 4wd more often and even L4wd.When your on your own bogged down at 2am in the morning,fuel consumption and a bit of road noise really insnt worth the compromise.Plus you get rid of the road noise by simply knocking the radio volume up.

Edited by Davyo