Hearing affecting my little winker.!

Adge Cutler

With the onset of age comes the inevitable loss of hearing..my hearing isn’t too bad in fact, but I find it difficult to pick up certain frequencies.

One of these is the ticking of the car indicator winker and as a result sometimes it doesn’t fully turn off, particularly when turning left ..I cant always see the winker flashing due to the set position of the steering wheel, even when I can see it I don’t notice it at times.

This has caused me a couple of close shaves recently where cars have pulled out in front of me thinking I am turning left. It’s only going to be a matter of time. !

Is there anything I can add to the relay or similar to increase the volume and audibility of the winker ?

Turn the indicator off manually instead of waiting for it to go off automatically?

It's what I do.

That's the problem...I cant hear it cant see it so don't realise its still on.. !!

I got ENTIRELY the wrong end of the stick when I read the subject title

I like to keep the audience in suspense :lol:

yes there is something to fit ...its called a repeater...when tow bar electrics are fitted to a car...by law it has to have fitted an audible repeater (buzzer sort of thing) which buzzes when you have the trailer on....so perhaps somethying like that can be fitted....

But surely you know when you have indicated, so once the manoeuvre has been completed switch the stalk back. I don't think I ever let the indicator turn off automatically, but I guess I have been doing it for so long that it's now instinctive.

Just a bit of brain training perhaps?

That's the problem...I cant hear it cant see it so don't realise its still on.. !!

I like to keep the audience in suspense :lol:

True, they are somewhat louder that the 'tick' of the standard indicator noise.

yes there is something to fit ...its called a repeater...when tow bar electrics are fitted to a car...by law it has to have fitted an audible repeater (buzzer sort of thing) which buzzes when you have the trailer on....so perhaps somethying like that can be fitted....

Edited by Penelope

Old Citroens didn't have a cancelling mechanism at all. Old Andre Citroen thought that if you got into the habit of always checking you wouldm't be relying on something that didn't always work.

Maybe a time to learn a new driving habit. Bit like an auto safety on a gun. I won't have one because I have taught myself to always put it on.

Hope this helps.

David.

Same problem on my Land Rover ...makes life exciting ....no joking apart it can cause you to have an accident ..been there done that many moons ago in another Land Rover.

I did trace some bulbs which had a beeper built into them but never got around to having them fitted. They were designed for reversing lights I think but as long as your glass is amber they would work. You've nudged me to look again before I have another prang.

With the onset of age comes the inevitable loss of hearing..my hearing isn’t too bad in fact, but I find it difficult to pick up certain frequencies.

One of these is the ticking of the car indicator winker and as a result sometimes it doesn’t fully turn off, particularly when turning left ..I cant always see the winker flashing due to the set position of the steering wheel, even when I can see it I don’t notice it at times.

This has caused me a couple of close shaves recently where cars have pulled out in front of me thinking I am turning left. It’s only going to be a matter of time. !

Is there anything I can add to the relay or similar to increase the volume and audibility of the winker ?

One way out would be to remove the automatic little notch thing that switches it off automatically then you will have to turn it off manually then it is down to habit.

It actually isn't the law any more, but they still sell things like that for the audibly challenged. :)

Edited by walshie

Cheers men..

Looks like the hearing aid is the way to go.

Damn it..... I will have to listen to the wife now. !!

Most NHS hearing aids have a `surround sound turn off `, or in my case a `wife mute` button, so selective hearing is still an option !

Best of luck.