BA Strike

Boromir

What side you on?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Union or Management?

• The Crew/Union
    • The Management

29k is not a great deal yes lots more than the average crews on other companys.

But that does not make it right guys 15 k in london cost of living is far higher than most of us enjoy.

And I think with all reporting some of it is incorrect and some times joe public make comments about subjects wth little or no knowledge of the correct facts.

Which if you dont know the full facts then how is possable to have a fair opinion on the problems.

And before you all say it I have until laterly earn a lot less than 29k more near the 15k mark.

So unless you know the facts I urge you to think before posting .

Regards OTH

Well the miners strike in the eighties succeeded in finishing the coal mining in this country. Most car manufacturers have had to put up with these ******* idiot unions at some point and now that industry is on it's knees.

I don't know but I am sure the unions think they control the steel industry which is all but finished in this country.

There is a bit of a pattern forming here I seem to think.

The construction industry seems to be the only one that has not been affected, maybe that is because it is not run by the Arthur Scargill traffic warden idiots that seem to want to finish all these companies off.

I wonder what will happen to all the union shop stewards when there are no industries left for them?

i think that strike action is discusting. if they can afford to miss a weeks pay over christmas then they don't need a payrise.

it just shows how unions only think of them selves and not the others. they are prepared to ruin peoples holidays, the people who pay their wages by booking a flight with BA, just so they can ask for more money. discusting.

i'm sure the management are to blame aswell mind.

Well the miners strike in the eighties succeeded in finishing the coal mining in this country. Most car manufacturers have had to put up with these ****** idiot unions at some point and now that industry is on it's knees.

I don't know but I am sure the unions think they control the steel industry which is all but finished in this country.

There is a bit of a pattern forming here I seem to think.

The construction industry seems to be the only one that has not been affected, maybe that is because it is not run by the Arthur Scargill traffic warden idiots that seem to want to finish all these companies off.

I wonder what will happen to all the union shop stewards when there are no industries left for them?

i think that strike action is discusting. if they can afford to miss a weeks pay over christmas then they don't need a payrise.

:good: x 2

When in the last 30 years has striking ever worked?

Just interested to know

The following assertion has been made a couple of times lately in The Times newspaper, most recently in the context of the latest threat by the Royal Mail workers and now the BA cabin crew:

"Even allowing for the selfishly narrow motivation of the workforce, the strike is highly unlikely to pay off. A study of strikes in the 1980s by economists from the London School of Economics found that the average increase in annual pay produced by strikes was only 0.3 per cent, while the average strike lasted 11 days. Each strike day, of course, costs the worker a day’s wages. The study concluded that the wage gain would have to be retained by individual employees for 30 years simply for them to break even. Not working, in other words, doesn’t work."

I am unable to find a reference to the original source with a quick google however.

The former is where I saw the quote earlier this morning - the latter is what I failed to find. Ta.

Edit: Pursuing Paul223's link reveals that the paper in question is not available electronically from the LSE, but they will furnish you with a hard copy for a fiver. At that price I'm happy to settle for the abstract already quoted.

Edited by petethegeek

29k is not a great deal yes lots more than the average crews on other companys.

But that does not make it right guys 15 k in london cost of living is far higher than most of us enjoy.

And I think with all reporting some of it is incorrect and some times joe public make comments about subjects wth little or no knowledge of the correct facts.

Which if you dont know the full facts then how is possable to have a fair opinion on the problems.

And before you all say it I have until laterly earn a lot less than 29k more near the 15k mark.

So unless you know the facts I urge you to think before posting .

Regards OTH

15K?

I was on little over £10k driving buses putting up with endless drivel from drunks spewers chavs etc!

£29k is a figure most could only DREAM to earn up here. BA Cabin trolly dollies are glorified tea's maids getting £29k for traveling the world and serving meals and drinks.

I personally think BA should DROP their sallary in line with other Flight operators to stiff these greedy **** where it's obviously going to hurt!

BA are running at a HUGE loss and these greedy bigots don't give a stuff that their money grabbing tactiocs could inveritably lead to the LOSS of not only their jobs but the Company too.

What was it? £500 million loss this financial year?

They need to get off the medication they are on and realise the Company has little option but to cap pay deals.

Personally I think they should bring in Agency workers and pilots from outside the company and stiff the ones who are striking.

In the majority of strikes there is no gain for the strikers, however the principle of the union is sound.

The problem with unions is that their leaders become powerfull and power corrupts.

I would advise all of you who castigate the principle of having unions read The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists. Written in 1907 it illustrates how the unions when in their infancy were physically attacked at the behest of the bosses. This was to the detriment of the worker.

My crittiscism of the unions today is they are allowing themselves to be manipulated by the bosses.

Why else would they take action which will lead to them becoming the baddies?

It should be everyones goal to improve their lot. Why aren't Virgin staff demanding parity with BA?

The construction industry no longer has any effective union and you can still be sacked with no reason given or notice.

A cheap foreign worker would be employed in preference to a British one and we've all had to deal with call centers, why, because they are cheaper.

In the majority of strikes there is no gain for the strikers, however the principle of the union is sound.

The problem with unions is that their leaders become powerfull and power corrupts.

I would advise all of you who castigate the principle of having unions read The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists. Written in 1907 it illustrates how the unions when in their infancy were physically attacked at the behest of the bosses. This was to the detriment of the worker.

My crittiscism of the unions today is they are allowing themselves to be manipulated by the bosses.

Why else would they take action which will lead to them becoming the baddies?

It should be everyones goal to improve their lot. Why aren't Virgin staff demanding parity with BA?

The construction industry no longer has any effective union and you can still be sacked with no reason given or notice.

A cheap foreign worker would be employed in preference to a British one and we've all had to deal with call centers, why, because they are cheaper.

If there is no gain for the workers why do the unions keep pushing for it? Oh yes because they gain from it

All unions are corrupt and only exist to serve themselves, so why oh why do these employees keep paying into them?

We are no longer in the dark ages, a book written in 1907 has no relevance on todays working practices.

Virgin staff are obviously happy with what they earn and value there jobs unilke the muppets who have voted for strike action that will only hurt the company that employs them. Maybe someone should take the union to one side and educate them that if there is no company then there is no jobs for anyone.

The construction industry has the same empolyment laws as the rest of the country, you cannot be sacked for no reason. Most people are self employed within the construction industry and if you are good at what you do you will never be out of work.

thats the whole problem they aren't allowed to sack them all so the unions have them over a barrel. In this case there are very outdated contracts giving them lots of perks and working conditions that severly affect a companies ability to run in the current economic climate. Sadly too much of this and BA will go bust it will be bought by a new company who will renegotiate their contracts and wages and if they don't like it they won't be taken on.

Why is it unions for fairly unskilled labourers advocate strikes so often? Bin men, post men and now trolley dollies.

Sack the lot and train up the unemployed to do the job. Can't be that hard to hand out peanuts...

Thats the problem during the post strikes they had a chap on radio 2 who said he would do a postie job who was unemployed claiming housing job seekers et.

Then when point out he would be worst off working a 40 hour week he then changed his mind.

Before all of you have ago about wages and incomes start your post I earn x and I work hours x .

Dont forget if ever employer had there way we would all be on the min wage full stop no if no buts fact.

Would you work for min wage I dont think many would?:D

Agency worker good idear until they dont turn up because they are not contracted to if dont want to.

Like what is happned in royal mail over the christmas .

Was in a local paper royal swindon took on 500 agency staff only 59 turned up monday morning woops.

Edited by Over the hill