Problem Guns

Pippin pup

Hi Guys and Girls.

Thought I would start a thred to see what anybody was glad to get rid of!:rolleyes:

Recently let the Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge go.

Having had it from nearly new for two years and many cartridges later, heres my personal opinion.

Good points:

Its very light and pointable,

Multi choke and 3",

Narrow forend and comfortable to hold,

Nothing broke after approx 4000 shots.

Holds its value well.

Fires very light loads as well as quite heavy loads.

Had several 'three kills to three shots' pigeon and crow shooting!

Easy tp clean.

Bad Points: ( sorry Benelli fans).

It used to kick me in the jaw most shots, even with very light loads.( dispite lenthening and shortening the stock and using the shimms provided to adjust drop and cast),

Woodwork was very plain,

Felt the gun was a 20 gauge barrel on a 12 gauge action?

It would cycle 95% of the time :good:

It would cycle lots of the same cartridge then just not cycle one for some reason, usually at a critical moment :hmm:

Safety button very small and in the wrong position. My View,( a Pain with gloves on).

The Thredded cap holding the forend on used to work loose unless I tightened it with mole grips( then I couldnt get it undone!)

Magazine lock button small and fiddly,( especialy with gloves on).

Anyway on a plus note , took it to my local RFD and he could not get his checkbook out fast enough. :o

Im Still in shock!

Anybody else got a problem gun story?

Best wishes

Pippin Pup.

Any body else got a similar gun Problem story?

Yep my Gorodable silver deluxe. looked a real cracker and kicked like one too :rolleyes: sold it after 6 months because it was giving me bruising on the bone from the trigger guard and i kid you not it took 2 1/2 months from the sale of the gun for the swelling to have fully gone, im glad to see the back of it then replaced it with a Silver Pig what had the problem of a very thick comb that recoiled into my face and on a big day made me jaw look like i had done a few rounds with tyson now got my churchill and its miss fired a few times so thats getting fixed and away as we speak :o hoping it will be sorted easy and thus no reason to EVER see the back of this one.

George

I have had a few unsuitable guns when I was learning how to shoot but I think this is part of a cycle.

As a newcomer no one knows you, dealers do not know you either, but as time goes on dealers will let you borrow a gun to try or if you go to a ground that has facilities for shooting the choice of a gun becomes easier as long as you have an idea of what you want.

If you shoot with experienced shooters the path is always shorter on how not to buy an unsuitable gun, my first gun a Contento O/U was unsuitable for me but I did not know any better.

there have been sooo many..

the franchi spas 12 i shot comps mostly english sporting with it yet it was like 9lb+ and the auto system was so flawed they made it pump switchable ,

the un named dutch auto 12g that had the same config as an auto pistol so as it was fired the whole top part of the action <a big sharp clod of iron work> raked back n forward missing your eye by a hairs breadth ,

the manufrance folding 410 sxs underlever that was made using every firearm design failure from the last 200yrs all bundled up in 1 epic disaster ect ect...

im cursed by being drawn to the things iv never seen b4

oh and let us never forget the bretton, a 12g side lever made on the darn system so the barrels slide forward inline on rails,the thing with that was it was made of aircraft grade alloy barrels included so weighed in at a 4lb 1 oz and for some reason was 3" mag!!! it has double triggers and it recoiled so harshly it would double discharge like 40-50% of the time `WHY BRETTON WHY???`what did we ever do to you to deserve this gun on the market?

also not that iv owned 1 but i have worked on them `laurona ` everytime i had to strip 1 id find myself sayin "well apparently mr laurona thought it was a good idea" not sure what he was taking but it wasnt over the counter thats for sure

hw100 fac in .22. lovely gun but i could n`t get the accuracy i needed from it.it nearly put me off air rifles altogether. fantastic gun maybe i got a wrong one.also had a mab semi auto.never heard or saw another like it.my first semi but it had a mind of it`s own when it wanted to fire. back to the dealer for that one

Brocock Enigma :good: yuk I hated it from the first shot fired I really, really dont know why i bought it.

Benelli comforts X2, I bought the first after shooting on older M1 and two really well used FAC M1s

It wouldnt cycle anything under 36 grams I sent it back and the second one felt like the stock was made of jelly.

What about guns that should have been rubbish but you've ended up loving?

I had an SMK B2 that i stripped and lub'ed and it actually enjoyed shooting it.

How many people love shooting Baikals?

My benelli M3 is a royal pain in the butt, like babbyc's, it needs cleaning a lot, doesn't like most cartridges unless they're either quite heavy, or really expensive, went to the gunsmiths to get it checked but cannot find anything wrong. i just use it on pump now, saves embarrassment.

contrary to a previous remark about franchi spas12, mine is fine and hasn't missed a beat yet.

Maybe its just dodgy italian quality control or something.

Didn't know Babby had the M3, I love the look and feel of them and the action, bit too pricey for me at the mo. I'd just use it on pump mode anyway :lol:

No, sorry he had an M2[ or was it an M1] just had similar problems thats all, i know there's a lot of people on here that swear by them, but the quality isn't up to scratch. I think they're seriously over priced..

No, sorry he had an M2[ or was it an M1] just had similar problems thats all, i know there's a lot of people on here that swear by them, but the quality isn't up to scratch. I think they're seriously over priced..

Wow I thought the M3 was a police/U.S. army approved one, glad I spoke to you as I was considering it once I got the pennies in order! :lol: You don't expect to get a lemon for that money :rolleyes:

Wow I thought the M3 was a police/U.S. army approved one, glad I spoke to you as I was considering it once I got the pennies in order! :lol: You don't expect to get a lemon for that money :rolleyes:

dont get me wrong, when it works its great, but the us marines have gone over to the M4 which is gas operated, its a risk you take with them i guess, some work fine, others dont. just re read this thread and babbyc had a montefeltro.[ knew it began with M]

Also, if the armed forces are using them then you can bet they're using something a whole lot heavier than a pigeon load.

seems to be alot of problems with benelli's so far... :good:

should also say a benelli supernova pump i bought, had it for a week around easter, took it out clay shooting and 2 days later swapped it for another mossberg pump, just couldnt get along with it at all :rolleyes:

and this coming from someone who loves benelli's :good:

Edited by babbyc1000

the un named dutch auto 12g that had the same config as an auto pistol so as it was fired the whole top part of the action <a big sharp clod of iron work> raked back n forward missing your eye by a hairs breadth ,

Dont suppose this could have been a Sjogren could it? Thats the only auto I know of that uses that action, I have wanted one for quite some time.

oh and let us never forget the bretton, a 12g side lever made on the darn system so the barrels slide forward inline on rails,the thing with that was it was made of aircraft grade alloy barrels included so weighed in at a 4lb 1 oz and for some reason was 3" mag!!! it has double triggers and it recoiled so harshly it would double discharge like 40-50% of the time `WHY BRETTON WHY???`what did we ever do to you to deserve this gun on the market?

Pig ugly things Brettons. It almost pains me to see them mentioned in the same breath as the Darne.

ZB