Haiti Appeal, Will you donate?

Frenchieboy

It is a terrible tradegy but I will not be donating. The government is crooked and the Haiti is a hotbed for crime. When the tsunami occured a few years ago I gave my tips for a month (worked in a bar and got bout 20 quid a nite) because I believed that the money would go to the correct place.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never give to disaster appeals, most aid is almost certainly guaranteed not to reach the needy as it will either be taken by corrupt officials or squandered through inefficiency.

Personally I would rather give to Charitys closer to home were I have better knowledge that my donation will not go to waste.

I never give to disaster appeals, most aid is almost certainly guaranteed not to reach the needy as it will either be taken by corrupt officials or squandered through inefficiency.

Personally I would rather give to Charitys closer to home were I have better knowledge that my donation will not go to waste.

Spot on!

A few years back there was something happened in the East Indies and a British-based charity turned up out there. Their first expense was to buy brand new Land Rover Discoveries to drive about in!

Now that the loony-left cannot get money from the Soviet Bloc, they have all turned up in charity and green businesses. Anything but do any productive work.

Just for a second ................... put money aside.

you know those lads who kicked the deer and that lad from Grimsby who gave us all a bit of a laugh by ripping up some lads roof a week or so back. I would like to see youths like thease donated to assist in clearing up and doing some good in the world. Perhaps for a 6 month stint (a tour of duty owed to society). It might just teach them a lesson that they cannot learn at home. What do you think? would it help?

Edited by malkiserow

Just for a second ................... put money aside.

you know those lads who kicked the deer and that lad from Grimsby who gave us all a bit of a laugh by ripping up some lads roof a week or so back. I would like to see youths like thease donated to assist in clearing up and doing some good in the world. Perhaps for a 6 month stint (a tour of duty owed to society). It might just teach them a lesson that they cannot learn at home. What do you think? would it help?

maybe if they saw what it was like to watch someone die in person, it might make them realise how rubbish their life is? Christ half of england would be gone if we sent all the people like that out to help, wouldnt be a bad thing mind!

i feel sorry for them, i really do, but we should not be donating money. let their government sort this out. if they want to stay in power, they will pull funds from underhanded ventures such as arms deals and bribes, and use those milllions for aid. they are at great risk of being overthrown if they dont sort this.

i feel sorry for them, i really do, but we should not be donating money. let their government sort this out. if they want to stay in power, they will pull funds from underhanded ventures such as arms deals and bribes, and use those milllions for aid. they are at great risk of being overthrown if they dont sort this.

So what happens when the government doesnt do that, and 100,000 people die because of it? I guess you will be content as you can sit back and blame it all on the government

Ive given a website that i can know is ligit and know people working for them out in Haiti at the moment, doing very good work saving people.

I guess im on a loosing battle here, but its worth a try!

Another idea, buy a plane ticket to Haiti and bring a shovel and start digging people out!! At least then you will know your money is going to!

The world has many problems and we can't fix them all. Remember Darfur? 2 million displaced and 350,000 dead. Didn't see anything on here or on TV until George Clooney raised the profile.

Anyways, my point, bad things happen to good people across the world and you can't fix them all.

So, where would I place my money - Cancer Research, Help the Aged, Salvation Army, Great Ormond Street.... Haiti, Darfur, Tsunami relief, Oxfam etc etc

My charity donations stay in the UK, and no, I don't have to justify it.

Thanks for looking.

I've worked with several charities, in a professional capacity over several years...

Having seen the posh european office furniture, and the cars that the likes of the NSPCC run around in, I opted never to make the same mistake again.

Trust me... money is no object, yet they are very quick to play the charity card!

Hi

IM really sorry for them but for a number of years now Ill will only give to a very select few : Cancer research, Salvation army, and our local hospice in Ipswich, this country has enough problems that we need to deal with, it always amazes me but shouldnt and doesnt really, how we are alway in a state of economic chaos in the UK, jobs, govemental cut backs, hospitals massively underfunded and most incredible our armed forces working with inferior equipment, the lack of it, under funding, the list goes on, but the goverment always the find money!!! 6 million pounds that should be utilised within the UK

In Suffolk we have lost one of our cancer units not because of the lack equipment, they needed 2 more consultants to run the unit but couldnt afford them!!! all who need the treament have to travel to another county, we all know this ********e happens nation wide, I could go on but Im probaly boring you with what you already know,

Its an ex-french colony let the french deal with it, damn it they even have Haiti's ex president in exile in France just like the Uk are not dealing Rhodesia sorry zimbabwe which is so tragic!!

Every where you go people shake bloody charity boxes in your face you cant even get into our local supermarkets without it happening.

MY donations stay in the UK

Alan

Edited by Alanl50

My donations stay local,

I support the Essex and Herts air ambulance as it is one service that I could well need one day and if it isn't there and the tide is over the road basically living on Mersea you are stuffed.

I also support both our local Hospice (St Helena) and also the ipswich one (St Elizabeth as my OH works for them)

As has already been said we are all giving to the haiti fund anyway.

So what happens when the government doesnt do that, and 100,000 people die because of it? I guess you will be content as you can sit back and blame it all on the government

Ive given a website that i can know is ligit and know people working for them out in Haiti at the moment, doing very good work saving people.

I guess im on a loosing battle here, but its worth a try!

Another idea, buy a plane ticket to Haiti and bring a shovel and start digging people out!! At least then you will know your money is going to!

[/quote

i cant, i have a hernia. But if the government spent more on the NHS than they did on overseas aid, i might have had my ****in op by now and could have gone digging.

why the **** should we donate and nor should the british goverment.

at this moment in time we have troops in middle east with major shortages of equipment and some say proberly shouldnt be there in the first place.

WHATEVER HAPPEN TO LOOK AFTER YOUR OWN

I've worked with several charities, in a professional capacity over several years...

Having seen the posh european office furniture, and the cars that the likes of the NSPCC run around in, I opted never to make the same mistake again.

Trust me... money is no object, yet they are very quick to play the charity card!

Spot on!

65% of donations to a well-known cancer charity is spent on advertizing for more donations.

I'll make my charity donations when I'm gone, if there is anything left after the care bills have taken what they want.

At the moment, The Commonwealth War Graves Commission and St Dunstans are first in line, LEST WE FORGET!

NO CHANCE,not my problem,got enough on my plate trying to find the mortgage money here(havn't worked since october 09) never mind helping out some country that i couldn't even find on a map.leave it to the do-gooders.wonder how many of the 'victims' will end up over here,scrounging and claiming every benefit they possibly can,i've been told(according to goverment figures)£90 per week is enough to live on for a family of 3(food,bills,mortgage etc etc)so no we can't give you any benefits.so the goverment ######### and the do-gooders can cry and plead to somebody who gives a ####.

Edited by Zapp Brannigan
SWEARING REMOVED

There's plenty of charities over here such as Great Ormond Street, RNLI, Marie Curie etc that need donations so my money will be staying in the UK. Bono, Geldof and the Beckham's can send a chunk of their millions over.

And that is about the crux of it isn't it.

How much of the donated money comes from the A-Z list celebrities? ****** all I bet. If Beckham, Macartney and co were to give even a quarter of their accumulated millions they could supply all the required aid between them.

Yet they don't, they are all too good for that sort of thing, let the peasants donate while we all sit in our ivory towers and spend another 30,000 quid on some Gucci dress/handbag etc.

NO CHANCE,not my problem,got enough on my plate trying to find the mortgage money here(havn't worked since october 09) never mind helping out some country that i couldn't even find on a map.leave it to the do-gooders.wonder how many of the 'victims' will end up over here,scrounging and claiming every benefit they possibly can,i've been told(according to goverment figures)£90 per week is enough to live on for a family of 3(food,bills,mortgage etc etc)so no we can't give you any benefits.so the goverment ######### and the do-gooders can cry and plead to somebody who gives a ####.

Well said.

What amazes me is how easy people forget the hundreds of other problems in countries like Sudan and Zimbabwe, equal suffering yet not topical for the media.

Regardless we cant sort the worlds problems out and mostly the solution isn't even money related.

Frankly we have enough needy in our own country, the aid the British government is pumping in should IMO be spent supporting our armed forces or invested in the NHS.

no do not give any money to corrupt goverments.whilst no wants to see pain and suffering it would appear that the people are not prepared to help one another but they are prepared to help themselves to other peoples belongings.reports of looting and stealing are rife. unfortunately most of the aid will not get to the people that need it the most in time to make any real difference.

as a side note the usa has pledged millions of dollars in aid yet parts of new orleans still look as if the hurricane had just passed through

And that is about the crux of it isn't it.

How much of the donated money comes from the A-Z list celebrities? ****** all I bet. If Beckham, Macartney and co were to give even a quarter of their accumulated millions they could supply all the required aid between them.

Yet they don't, they are all too good for that sort of thing, let the peasants donate while we all sit in our ivory towers and spend another 30,000 quid on some Gucci dress/handbag etc.

spot on......the so called celebrities often jump on the band wagon but i bet a pound to a penny they donate nothing themselves (unless they get a tax break out of it)