Need a new cordless drill

digger

Am in the market for a new cordless drill / driver. Always had de walt, 14.4 volt combi was my last purchase. Need it for kitchen fitting and general building work, I have seen many offers around, mates advise AEG, Makita or Bosch. Any advice appreciated, looking to spend up to £350 with ni cad batteries :good:

Makita everytime for me. Ours get some serious hammer at work everyday and we have one that is probably 4 years old and still working well albeit a bit noisy.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94244/Power-...-SDS-Plus-Drill

Think I paid £345 for ours as I bought two at once.

They have been dropped, used outside when it's pouring down and everything yet still work fine. Only problem we had was one charger going faulty and not charging anything.

Makita everytime for me. Ours get some serious hammer at work everyday and we have one that is probably 4 years old and still working well albeit a bit noisy.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94244/Power-...-SDS-Plus-Drill

Think I paid £345 for ours as I bought two at once.

They have been dropped, used outside when it's pouring down and everything yet still work fine. Only problem we had was one charger going faulty and not charging anything.

Same for me, Makita all the way. Got loads of them never let me down and used daily. One of my chargers have failed in a twin set I have but thats about it.

Edited by -oXo-

Am in the market for a new cordless drill / driver. Always had de walt, 14.4 volt combi was my last purchase. Need it for kitchen fitting and general building work, I have seen many offers around, mates advise AEG, Makita or Bosch. Any advice appreciated, looking to spend up to £350 with ni cad batteries :rolleyes:

have a look on screwfix they sometimes have good deals and they deliver for free

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but I to am in the market for a new drill how ever unlike you guys i dont use my drill every day maybe once a month for home DIY type stuff. Whe I previously asked around about a drill I was avised to buy a £20 - £30 cheapo drill and just replace it when it dies. So i did this and 13 months on its as dead as a dodo ! I store my drill with my othere tools in the garden shed !

So now am having to replace it again should I go expensive and get a big brand name or stay cheap ? And how do i make the battry live longer ? does the cold destroy them ?

:lol:

A mate swears buy his ROYOBI stuff in 18v ! :rolleyes:

A mate swears buy his ROYOBI stuff in 18v ! :unsure:

I bought a huge Ryobi set from costco for £200 combi Drill, andgle drill, Circ saw, recip saw, jigsaw, wet/dry vac, sander and big bag with 3 batts and charger like the One+ idea and so far inpmressed with the drill, also have makita 14.4V and have had bosch green and blue and BD in the past. best way to keep NiCad batts is to charge then use them, then run flat (tape over drill trigger) before re charging

Edited by HDAV

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but I to am in the market for a new drill how ever unlike you guys i dont use my drill every day maybe once a month for home DIY type stuff. Whe I previously asked around about a drill I was avised to buy a £20 - £30 cheapo drill and just replace it when it dies. So i did this and 13 months on its as dead as a dodo ! I store my drill with my othere tools in the garden shed !

So now am having to replace it again should I go expensive and get a big brand name or stay cheap ? And how do i make the battry live longer ? does the cold destroy them ?

:hmm:

A mate swears buy his ROYOBI stuff in 18v ! :unsure:

if you want a good DIY drill by dewalt :lol:

seriously if your only going to be using it once or twice a year something like an erbauer,ryobi,bosch,dewalt and makita do a range from about £40 to £80.as for storage cold weather kills your batteries

Used them all over the years and still have dewalt/makita/bosch now, the best of the bunch at the moment is the Makita Li-Ion. I don't honestly think Li-Ion is all it's cracked up to be by the manufacturers but it is definitely better. It's also lighter, I use the 18v stuff and it's far lighter than my 14.4v Dewalt.

Oh and if you're driving biggish screws the impact driver is brill, drives screws really quickly with little rounding out and it's nice and light. You can buy this as a kit with the combi drill/driver or add it later as body only.

I have an old Bosch 24v SDS GBH and batteries are virtually shot - anyone got batt going cheap.

Never buy Screwfix cheapo's - had two and both batteries died in a few weeks - changed them for next model up and they are shot. - couldn't be bothered to take it back.

dave

Mostly Dewalt for me, but I have a Ryobi impact driver and it is the dogs for knocking in big screws, had it for 4 years, used at least once a week, dropped it in a bucket of diesel, drove over it with the disco, left it outside in the rain for a few days and its still going strong. Well impressed. Get some diamond tipped bits though, they look pricey but grip the screws much better and last forever without rounding off, the Ryobi will shear cheapy ones if you are really going for it.