Horse fly bites! ouch!!

Paddy Galore!

Hi chaps, went out shooting last night and got bitten a few times, bloody hell my hand hurts, swollen up like a balloon too! had some anti histamine tabs which are making me very drowsy, so before i nod off does anyone know of any housewives remedies?

thanks,

gram...

I think you're doing the right thing mate, you could try some hydrocortisone cream. They take ages to heal, maybe just some over the counter pain relief too.

If all else fails, don't forget its beerday today.

Thanks guys, i'm not sure i can have the ibuprofen tho as i'm already on prednisolone (steroid) for something else, don't think i can mix the two. A cold pack did do the trick last night but it's come back with a vengance this morning, it's half way up my fore arm! :good:

I did read up on the NHS direct website about treatments and i'm already on the right stuff apparently, never had a horsefly bite as bad as this tho :hmm: Next time i'll remember the bug spray ;)

Thanks guys, i'm not sure i can have the ibuprofen tho as i'm already on prednisolone (steroid) for something else, don't think i can mix the two. A cold pack did do the trick last night but it's come back with a vengance this morning, it's half way up my fore arm! :good:

I did read up on the NHS direct website about treatments and i'm already on the right stuff apparently, never had a horsefly bite as bad as this tho :hmm: Next time i'll remember the bug spray ;)

I'm almost certain you can use pain relief with steroids mate, its fine in domestic animals and thats what I'm basing it on, but just ring your pharmacist to check.

I usually take a sharp knife and cut across the top of the bite, squeeze out what puss you can, then bath the area in rubbing alcohol

It usually takes the itch away. Don't bother covering it afterwards, it's better in the air :good:

I certainly wouldn't recommend that! Horsefly bites are liable to get infected at the best of times because of the mechanism of the bite, let alone breaking the skin even more.

But...all to their own!

Hi,

Feel for you, mate. Walking up hares one evening near Machrihanish some time back and a couple got through the slit in my face mask. Hurt like hell but after a few pints of heavy finally got to sleep. Woke up and thought I'd gone blind - face all puffed up with no eyes in evidence.

Hope it eases soon.

Cheers

Guest gloker

Horse flies are manky little bleeders! The itch is unbearable and the more you itch the more likely to get infected.

I personally cant take piriton (Chlorpheniramine.) as I am one of the people who are sensitive to its 'drowsiness' side effect.(I turn into a mong/zombie.) There are lots of non drowsy anti-histamines though. speak to the pharmacist.

You can take Ibuprofen with prednisolone but it is not reccomended as the likelihood of GI (gastro intestinal ) upset is increased. Give the bite a good clean with alcohol hand gel or similar.(ow.)(I know its not supposed to be used on broken skin but it works.) Then apply some anti histamine cream or even better some lanacane cream (anti itch.) cheap and works a treat.

Leave it alone. keep it clean and dry (If this means putting a dressing on then a clean (pref. sterile.) dry dressing. If the swelling/redness hasnt gone in 48 hours see the quack to get some antibiotics. If you have pus and or red tracking up your arm or away from the bite then get thee to the quack quick sharp as it is def. infected.

Ice works a treat.

Dont ring 999 or you will get short shrift. (we get called for less but thats not the point!)

Edited by gloker

Hi chaps, thanks for the advice.

Just been in touch with my GP, and apart from telling me not to be such a wuss! :hmm:

she was concerned about the massive swelling and the risk of any infection because of some of the other stuff i'm on, and i'm allergic to some antibiotics, going in on the way home for some sympathy. :good:;)

The best advice i can give, is the advice i got about swollen red ant bites recently.....

Man up you big girl :good:

Yeah? so what, i'm a wuss ok :)

Amputation will certainly relieve the swelling.....

you guys! :good:

actually, my father nearly lost his lower leg to an insect bite on his knee, got infected and spent 2 weeks in hospital on IV antibiotics and his knee opened up so they could drain it, poor old beggar.

That might be the core of the damage, like a scab after the swelling recedes a bit the ruptured cells start to heal up.

Or a big fat juicy maggot.

Or just a big spot in the making :)

EEEWWWW! (in full-on big-girl squeeling mode)!

I had to bat the little sucker off and it took a couple of swipes to do it, so I'm thinking it may have left its hooter in the heel of my hand.

EEEWWWW! (in full-on big-girl squeeling mode)!

I had to bat the little sucker off and it took a couple of swipes to do it, so I'm thinking it may have left its hooter in the heel of my hand.

If there's anything in there then it'll come out when it's ready mate, I don't think they lay their eggs in living flesh.

got some hydrocortisone cream and some calamine on the way back from the docs, still forgot the bug spray tho :)

never mind tho as my hand's too swollen to grip the gun at the mo so the rabbits will have a repreive.