hmrs in for sale section

tweedledee

mine is up for sale but love the round that much i want a more up market set up...you can take all my guns but not the 17 never

If you want a more up market set up i would go for a Anschutz. I have had all from cz to quad & annie etc etc(all good rifles but if funds allow i would go for the annie) just my opinion though. :good:

why do people keep mentioning wind effect on the HMR - it's less effected by wind than .22lr!!!

10mph side wind at 100 yards

.22lr Sub = 3.62" (Eley 40gr Subsonic Hunting)

.22lr HV = 3.83" (Eley 40gr HV Hunting)

.17hmr = 3.15" (Federal 17gr BT)

had a great little shoot with mine last night - 11 bunnies, and some in a good cross wind and a decent distance

I'm with Nick on this one! :no: I think far too much emphasis is put on the deviation in wind, much of which is unfounded! :good:

I love my CZ 452 "Hummer" and would not dream of parting with it. I can shoot in most wind conditions and hit what I want to on a regular basis no matter what the wind conditions and let's face it, the wind can be one of your best friends if you use it to your advantage when you are out stalking and shooting at live quarry! (You only have to watch some of my shooting videos to see the sort of winds that I shoot in). I personally do not believe that there is any more cause for concern with the 17HMR in wind than there is with a .22LR, or any other rimfire come to that! :birthday:

It's all down to knowing your gun, so come on lads, let's not keep putting this brilliant and versatile rifle down with unfair remarks!

the wind is actually complimenting the round as the people that moan about it compare it to a centrefire not a .22lr :good:

lots come up for sale as people don't have the ground for them, as a bunny gun they are excellent but you need a lot of bunnies to keep feeding one, a plinking gun they are not but for general vermin they are great. Plenty of keepers round me use them simply because you can shoot winged vermin at 150 yards and anything in between

I have read that a lot of people say how the round is affected by wind, just because you can shoot rabbits at 100 yds doesnt mean that you cant get a bit closer. It aint rocket science.

Sometimes you can't get closer...I have several sites with distance issues, one is a very well maintained sports ground with 6 full size and 3, 5 a side football pitches.

Very Flat, well cut grass and absolutely no cover except around the edges, the goals come down after every match, it's completely open, ... air rifle and .22lr are no use, and no chance of getting close, 100 yards is a close shot there! :rolleyes:

why do people keep mentioning wind effect on the HMR - it's less effected by wind than .22lr!!!

10mph side wind at 100 yards

.22lr Sub = 3.62" (Eley 40gr Subsonic Hunting)

.22lr HV = 3.83" (Eley 40gr HV Hunting)

.17hmr = 3.15" (Federal 17gr BT)

had a great little shoot with mine last night - 11 bunnies, and some in a good cross wind and a decent distance

i have to agree with nick.

i shoot mine in all weathers and all this wind lark is pants, i think one of the reasons there are a few up for sale is that they are not cheap to run, i used over 8,000 rounds in the last few months up until i got my 20 tac, now thats getting a bit more use on the charlies it saves me money as i reload it,

the other main factor is that its not a quiet as people think so they get ear ache from the land owner/people that live close complain so they sell it on,

i love mine to death as a calibre, but still getting used to the new sako quad ??

bob.

I think that the main frustration with the hmr is that it shows up your shooting errors. It takes an experienced rifle shot to consistantly shoot MOA off sticks and if your used to plinking at 50yds with a .22lr then a 17hmr at twice the distance will double your mistakes.

My CZ has come close to the sale board quite a few times but mostly the mistakes were with me, I do think they need a bit of time to settled down as well. You hear the phrase, used to only like federal but now shoots well with any ammunition relating to HMR often on forums. I think its more like I was having a good day when I was using federal but then got used to my gun is more the truth.

When you see a picture of 5 neat touching holes at 100yds it doesnt mean we can all do it, even using bean bags or bi pods. You hear exactly the same with centre fire,' I bought a tika and out of the box it was shooting half inch groups'. Sure it will if you stumble on the right ammo or homeload and the gun is already run in and you do your part. When I bought my remmi 700 in 243 I was dissapointed when it couldnt shoot 3 shots into a ten pence piece at 100yds. Played with stocks, ammo and the trigger, no doupt all these things helped but the main improvement was with me, now shes cracking and if I put it all back to original then I bet she would still be pretty good now I can shoot her.

I don't really understand why so many people bash the HMR either. Ok I admit that it didn't do what I wanted it to do, but that wasn't the fault of the calibre, it's because I wanted too much from it.

It's better than the .22lr in the wind, but don't expect it to be a .223 because it never will be. Cost wise, how much do you pay for 50 12g cartridges to shoot clays on the weekend? There you go, it's not expensive either!

Unless you're prepared to home load I don't think there's a rifle round out there that's as good as the HMR for what it costs per shot? I love my .17 Ackley Hornet to bits but the setup cost was huge. You could buy a top of the range Anschutz HMR and about 4000 rounds of ammo for what it's cost me to get going with the Ackley!

:no::rolleyes:

I also get cheesed off with people slating the cz hmrs.I have fired the annie, sako and marlin....all felt fine, but my cz has never missed a beat, the bolt is smooth, the trigger is superb straight out of the box and its bloody accurate....what more can you ask of a rifle?

Ive not really noticed the wind affecting the round much at all until you push it out over the 150 mark in higher winds. I missed a couple diagonally accross a feild thats 170 yards exactly from corner to corner with a fair right to left breeze a few weeks ago, normally I rarely miss them across this feild as im so used to doing it!! :P

I think people get them as a first rifle. It's easy to shoot accaurately and it's also flat. Then it's more suitable for foxes than a .22 and it ricochets less.

Few months/years later you can get a .22 CF granted. Better for the foxes and longer rabbits and the .22 is cheaper to run for the closer stuff.

Just a thought.

DONT MENTION THE WIND!! :yes::welcomeani:

sorry lads but its a valid point, something we need to recognise with this round, and frenchie, its not unfounded, its down to personal experience, and i mostly shooting prone :yes:

the reason i bought an hmr was my main rabbits shooting area last year was very open and hilly, the closest shots were 70+ yards, alot of them reaching up to 150 yards. too far for the 22lr, so going with the hype i went for a 17hmr. yes its a great rifle (apart from needing alot of cleaning and/or breaking in) but bear in mind alot of people buy them to use on far longer ranges than a .22lr :lol: