Ear protection when in the field

Degalle79

Just wondering if any of you guys/gals wear ear muffs/plugs when shooting from a hide, especially if there is more than one person in a hide. Me and my bro shot approx. 125 shells last week from one hide and i had a thumper of a headache that evening. We were taking turns rather than shooting at multiple birds at same time but there is still some woosh when firing across at a bird on your side. I was thinking of getting a set of electronic ones so you can still hear the whistle of the birds wings but which cut out the BANG. :welcomeani:

I would say that you should use anything! even cheap foam ones as to fire off 125 shots near another person IS going to damage to your hearing.

Try cheap foam ons then Bisley do a passive set for about £6-7 that stop noise over about 85dbl or something like that then if you have access to a clay ground someone will let you try a pair of the more expensive electronic ones to see if you like them.

Just use something though :welcomeani:

I had my hearing damaged in my left ear in a pigeon hide 5 years ago. Ive had a constant ringing in that ear since. Now wear earplugs all the time when large volume shooting. A bit late now but Ive still got 1 good ear. Im only 25 so i hope to need it a little longer.

please do yourselves a huge favour and never shoot without hearing protection. I have wrecked my hearing due to shooting, cant hear a thing when there is any background noise. In the pub for example, I just nod my head when I think it is appropriate and hope for the best.

No point in being macho about it, I only wish I hadn't.

I have to confess that my hearing has been damaged by years of shooting without ear protection,

It was only when I started having a few clay sessions that I used foam ear plugs and then quickly got Emtec in ear protection (I hate the ear muff type).

Even then I only wore them clay shooting, but in the last 4-5 years I wear them for any "session" shooting, whether its in a hide, or for a driven day.

I was told by an Otologist that even if you have not worn ear protection for years, any time is still a good time to start and you will get some benefit.

I still don't wear them for a quick walk round the woods, or similar excursions.........when will we learn. :)

I had my hearing damaged in my left ear in a pigeon hide 5 years ago. Ive had a constant ringing in that ear since. Now wear earplugs all the time when large volume shooting. A bit late now but Ive still got 1 good ear. Im only 25 so i hope to need it a little longer.

I had ringing in my ear for over two weeks after a day at the clay ground with no hearing protection. Tinitus is absolutely horrible!!

Always wear cans for clay shooting, but most of my shooting is either with a moderated shotgun or just a walking hedgerows and woods, and I found that you can't hear a pigeon take off or the like with any sort of protection so I don't really use anything in that situation. I did once fire about 10 shots in very quick succession at several squirrels and I knew about that for some time after.

I use Peltor Sport Tac, i have tried all types from Cheap and cheerful to more expensive high quality.

The ear muffs take a little getting used to, but you soon forget there there.

Nothing worse than shooting with 2 in a hide and you get an earful of blast and have ringing ears all day.

As I have mentioned before, I use the "in ear" Emtec Noisebreakers and they are excellent.

Last Thursday I noticed that the little plastic disc "dust protector" had fallen out of one of them (not bad after over 10 years), I telephoned Emtec on Friday morning and a pair of ex gratia dust protectors arrived in the post Saturday morning.

Thats what you call good service and makes me confident to recommend Emtec to anyone. :good:

As I have mentioned before, I use the "in ear" Emtec Noisebreakers and they are excellent.

Last Thursday I noticed that the little plastic disc "dust protector" had fallen out of one of them (not bad after over 10 years), I telephoned Emtec on Friday morning and a pair of ex gratia dust protectors arrived in the post Saturday morning.

Thats what you call good service and makes me confident to recommend Emtec to anyone. :good:

Are these "Off the shelf"? Or, are they the "made to measure" I saw recently at about £60? Thanks

I always use Shooters Aid 'Sonics' whenever I am shooting. Can get a bit uncomfortable after a few hours but just take them out and re-position and they are fine.

Figure my hearing is worth way more than the tenner they cost!!

Are these "Off the shelf"? Or, are they the "made to measure" I saw recently at about £60? Thanks

They are "made to measure", but the process is easy and quick.

An appointment is made for you to attend locally for the measurement and a mould is made, this is sent to Emtec Laboratories and they make the ear protectors.

Unless you lose them, they will last a life time.

They are "made to measure", but the process is easy and quick.

An appointment is made for you to attend a locally for the measurement and a mould is made, this is sent to Emtec Laboratories and they make the ear protectors.

Unless you lose them, they will last a life time.

Are these electronic, i suppose what i mean is do they just block out the bang leaving it easy to have a conversation with them in?