World Compak Sporting, Malaga, Spain......

Catamong

Got back yesterday from this event, a 200 bird Compak Sporting event shot over 8 different layouts and a nice ground about 50 miles inland from Malaga, Spain.

My goodness, was it hot, around 40 - 45 degrees C most afternoons..!! :o

We arrived early on the Wednesday, checked in to a hotel in the town of Antequera, about 15 minutes from the ground via a super new motorway. We then drove straight to the ground, and had a couple of rounds practice on the layouts.

One odd thing I've noticed about shoots abroad is that they don't seem to change the layouts from practice day to competition day, so you can end up shooting the same targets, this was certainly the case on the layouts we shot.

Here's a shot of a typical layout, (No 1), one great thing was that on half of the layouts you were very often shooting at targets below your feet, (not often done in the UK, where most birds are up in the air).

CopyofWorldCompak2010003.jpg

The backdrop to most layouts was simply superb, with deep rolling valleys and hills covered in Olive groves, with stunning mountains beyond. The covers to the layouts were not there to keep the rain off, but to keep that dreadful scorching sun off your neck, they were a godsend. ;)

Our unofficial "GB Team" consisted of Martin & Chris P, Jamie B and Philip P, who'll be well known to most serious Sporting Clay shooters. He comes from East Anglia and won the British Open a good few years back, absolutely lives for shooting, a really nice guy and a great shot. He spends a lot of his time abroad now coaching Sportin shooters, mainly in Russia.

Here is is on the right chatting to one of the Russian contingent that were at the event.

WorldCompak2010007.jpg

Here's a shot of Jamie B from Kent having a go on the practice layouts, he hit a few in practice, but things changed for him come competition day. ;)

WorldCompak2010010.jpg

Here's one of Philip reloading after dusting another pair.

WorldCompak2010011.jpg

As there was a formal opening ceremony, we all got changed for the official bit, which was due to commence at 7pm, but didn't kick off till about 8.15, thank goodness the bar was open. :blink:

The team looked impressive in their Polo Shirts and Chinos... :hmm:

WorldCompak2010015.jpg

The clubhouse and bar was packed with people from all over the World supping local drinks at very reasonable prices.

WorldCompak2010018.jpg

The bar staff worked flat out to cope, couldn't work out why there was always a throng around the counter. :hmm:

WorldCompak2010019.jpg

We assembled outside the clubhouse to hear the speeches, many local girls in costume were present, this young lady accosted us and couldn't stop smiling when Jamie kept telling her how in Pidgin Spanish how many layouts he was going to straight over the course of the event. :P

WorldCompak2010027.jpg

Here's some of the Italian team,

WorldCompak2010032.jpg

And here's a few from Estonia, (they could all shoot :yes: )

WorldCompak2010037.jpg

There was also a good contingent from South Africa, all snapping away madly.

WorldCompak2010029.jpg

Here's some of the Spanish team, all set to kick some backsides

WorldCompak2010043.jpg

So, after a long day we were all tucked up in bed before 1am looking forward to shooting well on the first day of competition. We arrived at the ground around lunchtime as we weren't shooting until early afternoon, a real scorcher of a day it was too by then. The ground very thoughtfully provided a large fridge at each layout full of bottled water that was available free to all competitors, a very kind gesture.

Here's a shot of the Clubhouse from layout number 4.

WorldCompak2010046.jpg

And here's one of a squad just finishing on layout No 3, another seasoned FITASC shooter, (Denise), in the foreground.

WorldCompak2010045.jpg

Here she is whispering to Martin about Jamie's performance, (or lack of it), over the first couple of layouts.

WorldCompak2010049.jpg

The scores on day 1 were predictibly high, if you missed more than 2 or 3 birds you were already out of the running, we had to take stock and reflect on a change of tactics in order to get back in the running. The team discussions were heated and went on long into the night...!!! :stupid:

WorldCompak2010052.jpg

More action on day 2, another day of wall to wall sunshine, I started in the morning with a sore head but still did a 25 straight, followed an hour later by a 16, bitter sweet or what..?? :o

We needed more R&R to fully recuperate, so we set off to the beach at Torremolinos, real "Hi De Hi" Country, full of Essex style Chavs, but at least the beer was cold, Jamie found a guy selling genuine Ray Bans at only 30 euros a pair, here he is negotiating the price, what a steal..!!

WorldCompak2010056.jpg

The competition was still fierce on day 3, as we battled to stay in the running.

Martin and young Chris were doing well, here's Martin shooting another 23

WorldCompak2010063.jpg

And Chris smoking yet another pair

WorldCompak2010075.jpg

Jamie spent most of the time between layouts on the Internet trying to get get an early Sleazyjet flight back to the UK, but we persuaded him to stay on, which he kindly agreed to do, for the benefit of the team. :yes:

This young lady shot with style,

WorldCompak2010081.jpg

Philip was going like a train at the end of day 3, a serious contender for the Championship, and the only GB contender with a real chance of winning.

Day 3 was not the best days shooting I'd ever had, so I decided to try a bit harder on day 4, and scraped in a 24 and 23.

WorldCompak2010092.jpg

We made a lot of friends at the event, here's Helen from Denmark, she got good at compak by shooting lots of Skeet, (where have I heard that before.? :hmm: )

WorldCompak2010107.jpg

The shoot finished at 4pm on Sunday, we all got together for a little celebration,

WorldCompak2010114.jpg

Then the official prizegiving, a very protracted affair with lots of speeches and trophies being handed out. The shoot was won by Christophe Auvret, from France on 192, a superb score over a technically challenging targets, lots of close whippy stuff all around your ears, much of it flying off downhill at a rate of knots, typical "Continental" targets, a great result for the guy, and, guess what he does for a living, yes, runs a shooting ground. :yes:

WorldCompak2010119.jpg

Sadly, Team GB were not on the podium, our scores were Philip 185, Martin 185, Jamie 159, Cat 162, Chris 169.

Our very own Cheryl shot a 172 to take the Bronze in the Ladies, and Thomas S, (also from the forum), did a very tidy 165 at his first International event, well done to all.

It's a good job we don't have to earn a living at shooting, but we're all looking forward to next years events, in France, Portugal, Estonia and Spain, spolit for choice..!! :hmm:

Cat.

Followed the 4 days shooting on an obscure Spanish website I stumbled on (don't ask me what I was searching for :hmm::hmm: ) They reported on the afternoon of day 2 that the temperature peaked at 47deg.!!!!!!

Well done to all, just breathing in those temperatures is an achievement :good::lol: As usual Cat an A1 write-up with near professional photos, you could make a living at that game! What happened to Jamie B? he was seriously off song there, was it because he's that bit closer to the sun :lol::lol::lol:

I'm going to look up the summer temperatures in Tallinn and the cost of passage on an Easy-jet deluxe airliner so I might be there in 2011.

Keep the reports coming Cat :lol::D