Rolex Watches

Doc Holliday

I have a Tag and have had no problems with it at all

Same here.

Had dozens of watches before and can't see me ever selling it, it must be 15 years old now.

It keeps time to seconds a year, I never take it off for swimming / diving / working on the car etc and only had it serviced by them once - a definite keeper.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here.

Had dozens of watches before and can't see me ever selling it, it must be 15 years old now.

It keeps time to seconds a year, I never take it off for swimming / diving / working on the car etc and only had it serviced by them once - a definite keeper.

Same here... :good: and they sure are lookers'....

I bought my first Submariner 15 years ago and sold it for £500.00 more than I paid for it.

I now have a Sea Dweller which I bought from Geneva airport the day it came over from the factory (I phoned ahead) and that was 10 years ago - I believe it's worth a fair bit more now than I paid for it back then.

I swim, dive, work, ride, shoot etc with it on - a proper workmanlike Stainless Steel watch, which stands the test of time and looks bang on.

I can't talk for the model you're considering, but I'd wager it's the same story - If there's a waiting list, call the factory in Geneva and see when they are next sending one to the airport (and be there to meet it!).

Best of luck,

Mike

I have an aston gerard chrono ,a very nice watch ,dont know how much they are now but cost about 800 jim 10 years ago . If you are serious about spending that much money on a watch then perhaps you should both go on holiday to the states ,they are far cheaper over there . A watch and a holiday for the price of the watch in good old rip off Briton .

Are they worth that sort of money ? of course not . 200 jim is as much as you want to spend on a decent watch .

Harnser .

I have a black faced Explorer II, lovely piece of kit and really looks the part. Although needs a Rolex service at the moment at £350! :good:

I do like the new Omegas though, they are a lovely piece of kit and beautifully built. Have my eye on the Planet Ocean in orange, now thats a watch.

Edited by Dibs

Personally I love Rolex but, all of my friends have them and I wanted something different.

I had always coveted Panerai watches and after trying Rolex and Panerai in the jewellers, I went for a titanium Panerai and I'm very pleased I did.

It's a very understated watch as it's brushed to a matt finish. I would still like a rolex though and have my eye on the GMT master II and the Sea dweller deep sea.

ATB

Moses

Blackla

Have a read of this forum your dad might get a new glass and his watch is probably worth spending the money on

http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewforu...2aeb38fc173f18e

This is my Breitling -- now 45 yrs old had it from new - Been cleaned since this picture and runs a treat - it is a manual wind watch - I think it's worth more than my gun now.

356239113.jpg

Dave

I agree with comments that it is a mental amount of money to spend on a watch . For normal folk on normal wages it can be a token of hard work and i think can mean alot more than if you were well off. It could also mean you deal drugs or pimp for a living :good:

Had a Rolex GMT Master II for about 12 years now. Wear it every day for work and play and the face still doesn't have so much as a scratch :good: Bloody garbage as a timekeeper though :lol:

The Omega Seamaster is a lovely watch and I don't recall any horror stories. Might keep better time than a Rolex as well.

Blackla

Have a read of this forum your dad might get a new glass and his watch is probably worth spending the money on

http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewforu...2aeb38fc173f18e

This is my Breitling -- now 45 yrs old had it from new - Been cleaned since this picture and runs a treat - it is a manual wind watch - I think it's worth more than my gun now.

356239113.jpg

Dave

Thanks mate, i'll have a look.

AB

I have a submariner from 1967, same year as me. I wear it all the time, for everything, and although it looses a minute or so a week i would not be without it. I have had it for 18 years, and before this watches were basically disposable, and i flooded plenty diving. Although it was an expensive luxury, it is with me every day and over they years has probably been the cheapest watch i have ever owned.

I see no reason why i should not have it for another 30 - 40 years before handing it on to my son, when in time it will become his cheapeat ever watch.

Edited by DIVERD

Plenty of good responses and suggestions, many thanks guys. Have to say, as I said to Mung, this is a "just for me" spend out. The OH has her cheapy jobbie (probably Elizabeth Duke) for every day wear and a sparkly Swarovski for best, which I got her a few years back.

What concerns me it some of the comments about time keeping. I like to know that when I'm looking at the time it's accurate, especially if that kinda dough is being forked out. Maybe I'm just being a tad OCD about that but I hate not knowing the right time, even if it's a minute out it bugs the life out of me. Have to confess, all my time pieces (clock on the cooker, van, office clock, phone, etc) are generally within a few seconds of each other. Maybe shouldn't let it worry me but I do hate not being in sync.

Just thought Rolex were meant to be precision time keepers as well. That's what appealed to me about Rolex, the fact that when you think about watches you generally think of Rolex as being the best. Like sungalsses, Rayban are thought of as being the best, even if they're not.

Just thought Rolex were meant to be precision time keepers as well. That's what appealed to me about Rolex, the fact that when you think about watches you generally think of Rolex as being the best. Like sungalsses, Rayban are thought of as being the best, even if they're not.

as much as that may be correct one reason why if I had the money I would not buya rolex is that anyone who saw it would simply think you were wearing a fake, sad but true.

KW

as much as that may be correct one reason why if I had the money I would not buya rolex is that anyone who saw it would simply think you were wearing a fake, sad but true.

KW

Like I said $60 and very good copies :good:

Anyway question I always needed answering is. What are the bezels for on watches? I mean the numbers on them?

KW

I agree. Most folk probably would think it a fake but the fact it was genuine and you knew it to be is all that matters. But I wouldn't be buying one just to try and look flash. As i said, it's about being the best. Ok, there probably are more expensive watches on the market, as some have said, but the build quality & reliability is what matters to me. Always thought Rolex as being the best, that was my point. Feel a bit disappointed now having heard they can lose time.

A 1967 submariner is probably worth double the value of a new one. Ian Blowers in Hull had a 1969 model in for £9500 when I was looking for mine. Vintage Rolex are increasing in value. He currently has a Paul Newman Daytona in for £65,000!

Have a look at this evil bay auction HERE for a good read on a Rolex watch.