9/11 Where were you??

Ricko

In the middle of a business studies lesson at school when our teacher looked up from his PC and told us and then put BBC news up on the interactive whiteboard while we supposed to carry on working but just watched the updates in disbelief. :lol::mad::lol:

Edited by HARRIS

Interviewing a patient on 9/11, came out and heard the light aircraft version- wasn't reported as too serious then. Later, I was writing my notes up and the secretary came in crying - we got a tv hooked up and watched in horror. Was on night duty at Goole hospital when Diana died, half the female staff in tears.

Both times and obviously more so with the Twin Towers falling, the sense that the world had changed was quickly obvious.

Edited by Bloke

On holiday in south Devon. Weather not too good and hadn't found a decent pub for lunch. Went back to cottage and put telly on, thought at first that they were showing a movie instead of the news........... We soon found out how wrong we were and spent the rest of the afternoon watching it unfold, especially seeing the second plane crash "live"!

I was living in Leominster and working at a Hop Farm at Moreton On Lugg the time. We were expecting two American friends round for the evening but around mid afternoon I got a call from one of them on my mobile. He said that he had heard reports of a plane crashing into one of the towers and that they would not be round as they needed to find out more details as they had relatives there. As it turned out one of them lost 2 relatives in the atrocity!

When Princess Diana died I was living in a flat directly across the road from the main entrance to Hereford's Football Ground, just woke up to hear the news on the radio alarm first thing in the morning!

I was driving to my mates in ferryhill, the local radio was broadcasting that a plane had struck the world trade center in New York, I assumed it was a small civilian sight seeing type plane?

When I got to my mates he said get in here and watch this, we then saw the second plane hit, and watched events unfold, absolutely mind blowing and not forgettable, but in truth we still had not fully taken in that we were actually watching the best part of 3000 people die.

KW

I was in a museum in Germany with my son and two German friends. We were approached by a group of students who had heard us talking in English, and said that World War III had started and that half of New York was in ruins etc.

We simply refused to believe it and reasoned that they were either wind-up merchants or psychology students carrrying out some kind of 'practical' experiment!

It was only a couple of hours later when back at the friend's house that we saw the awful truth on CNN. I found the coverage hypnotic and did not switch off the TV for 24 hours...

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I was working in St Richards Hospital in Chichister aka "Dirty *****" installing cardiac monitors.I came out to a really eirie silence in the car park.Turned the radio on and heard Chris Moyles talking about it.

I then drove to |Bognor Reguis to buy a snake from a chap i knew and his wife had the telly on...strange day indeed.

Another mate was sat in an airport, hes an entemologist and was going to Thialand, into the "forbidden Kingdom" to documant a log new insect species, he was watching it while waiting to board, thinking it was a film!!!!

Sitting by my fathers hospital bed in Chichester, though a close call he lived another 8 years. As previously said first reports were of a light aircraft crash, had trouble figuring that one out then when the real story emerged...... stunned

As for Lady Di....... was trying to sober up in a Bangkok hotel room, after the first report I thought she must have chipped a nail or something , then as the story unfolded.....................

I was in carrolton Texas working and it was just totally surreal - there were fighter jets patrolling the sky and a few mosques were fire bombed in the next few days afterwards, the texans don't mess around!

I am not very keen on flying and I remember feeling sick at the thought of the plane I was coming home being bombed, I remember looking round at all the kids and families thinking "oh my god" and to be honest anyone of middle eastern origin looked like a suspect at that time.

Edited by gixer1