What Knife do you use?

Clamps

Just wondering what knives people use in the field? whether its for a bit of bushcraft, skinning the odd rabbit or pigeon, or whether you are a collector.

These are my main knives:- Winchester every day knife, my home made rose wood and antler carbon knife and my Fallkniven TK1 - simply a wonderful knife.

sorry not a great photo

post-24289-1287129675.jpg

The middle knife is one i made myself and the blade is a Julian Petterson from Ray Mears web site (http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Pr...d-Knife-Blade/). the rest is leather, antler (Red Deer) and Rosewood. I assembled it myself, not the neatest of jobs, but it was my first time and it's a great solid knife - most satisfying to create.

What's everyone else use?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love an expensive knife but always find other things to spend my money on.

I use a winchester fixed blade for general stuff when out and about and also carry a leatherman, they are invaluble to me, for building hides, general stuff on the farm and blade is uber sharp, I use that for bunnies and wash the whole thing when finished. Its years old but looks new.

I use a Opinel knife for general use and for gutting I have a folding utility knife which takes Stanley knife blades. I use the hooked type floorlayers blade in it.

It is perfect for slitting open a rabbit and is razor sharp. Once it gets blunt you either turn it around or throw it away and start with a new one.

having left 3 out in some field somewere in the middle of nowere in the dark, i have gone back to using cheapo's i aint going to cry if i loose a knife costing a fiver, but take out one costing £30 + and loose it well it would upset me too much.

As MC say's cheap utility knife replaceable blades £2 from Wilko's

These are the ones i have - i dont use them all, some of them i have because i just like them!

From right to left (for the ones i can remember):

post-22713-1287152916.jpg

Browning - doesnt get used

Eqos i think - got it 30 years ago as a lad on holiday in spain when you could bring them back in hand luggage

Cant remember - made from a kit from Attleborough Accessories - just fancied a go

Divers knife - doesnt get used

Brass ends - cant remember, but had it 20 years, one of my favorites, get used constantly

Opinel - always wanted one, gets used

Red Fox Locking - bought from PW, gets used occasionally

Browning locking - bought from PW, not be used yet

Marksman Locking - bought for a quid from some stall at a fair

Cant remember locking but it has an elephants head on the blade - 2" blade, 2nd favorite, often found in my pocket

post-22713-1287152951.jpg

AB

Edited by blackla

These are my favourites that I use most often.

Syderco ukpk green

Syderco bushcrafter

Fallkniven F1

Fallkniven TK4

I do have quite a few more but the above are my main users. I also have another bushcrafter on order from Bison Bushcraft I should have it next month, I ordered it august last year, I believe there is now about 18 months wait on them.

Just wondering what knives people use in the field? whether its for a bit of bushcraft, skinning the odd rabbit or pigeon, or whether you are a collector.

These are my main knives:- Winchester every day knife, my home made rose wood and antler carbon knife and my Fallkniven TK1 - simply a wonderful knife.

sorry not a great photo

post-24289-1287129675.jpg

The middle knife is one i made myself and the blade is a Julian Petterson from Ray Mears web site (http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Pr...d-Knife-Blade/). the rest is leather, antler (Red Deer) and Rosewood. I assembled it myself, not the neatest of jobs, but it was my first time and it's a great solid knife - most satisfying to create.

What's everyone else use?

nice middle knife, i like those sort of handles

i use an opinel which always sits in my shooting bag to be honest, cheap and does the job

I have three main knives i use

Kai kershaw,but to expensive to use in case i lost it,cost £50 twenty years ago

a small lock knife that looks like a flick knife and holds a good edge (my favourite)

Latest one is a cheap crossman £4,looks ok and has just been sharpened so we will see how it goes as this will be one i use as i will not be to upset if i lost it.

I have loads of others i have collected over the years from pen knife to fixed blade,most of the pen knifes get used then trown in a cupboard because something else took my fancy ;)

I used to use opinel knives a lot but have several knives at moment. Including one hand made by natives in Guatemala. Pick upped in a random trip. My current knife is from moonraker knives. Top company in my opinion. However, it is really hard to sharpen. But once sharp, it really holds its edge if you keep it away from bone.

I used to use opinel knives a lot but have several knives at moment. Including one hand made by natives in Guatemala. Pick upped in a random trip. My current knife is from moonraker knives. Top company in my opinion. However, it is really hard to sharpen. But once sharp, it really holds its edge if you keep it away from bone.

I have a Buck Knife, 50p at a bootsale! Sharp as sharp can be, there were 2 in a tin, one was a cheap far east make and the buck so i held the buck under the cheap one and said "how much" a pound to you was the reply.

I paid and took them to the car with a smile!!

TEH

As i said previously you wont go far wrong with an Opinel-they really are sharp and easy to sharpen compared to some knives. :good:

I AGREE, CAN`T SEE THE POINT OF SPENDIND LOTS OF MONEY, I JUST WANT A KNIFE TO CUT AND HOLD AN EDGE, OPINEL CARBON BLADE PRICED :- £2 TO £10 YOU CAN`T BEAT THAT.

Tony A.

Never been able to get excited about knives but especially so since having guns.

Like the look of some of the nicer antler handled types but figure on using a cheap robust sea fishing fillet knife - anything that's designed to withstand salt water will last a bit in the filed. At a tenner or so a go they can be replaced when needed.

I keep losing them.

I won't bother with a knife with a price tag over a tenner or that won't go in a dishwasher.

Incidentally, I fell out of love with Opinels a long time ago when (like everyone at some point) I didn't twist the lock on and it was a blade to fingers to handle moment. Also, they are a dirt trap. Nice sharp blade and cheap though.

Edited by Mungler