Christmas is coming

starlight32

As the festive season is coming I have my usual bottle or two to give out.

Whats a good choice of Brandy for example? Something boxed looks nice and sits outside outside the norm?

Or stick with Whiskey???

Alot of the people I give out to know what quality is and its bred into them (if you know what I mean) so all advice welcome. I find it pointless to give something out which after they close the door behind you it does'nt rock the boat.

There seems to be a fair number of connoisseurs on PW in the field of beverages, so that is why I am asking

(If you dont mind me saying................)

"Hors d' Age Andre Couprie". a bit different and around the £100 :oops: , but like most expensive bottles its abit of a waste if you drown it in lemonade :good:

Or you can get a couple of bottles of Remy champagne there around the £30 :yes: thats my normal winter warmer in front of the fire :lol:

May I reccomend a bottle of calvados. Try a bottle of Pierre magloire that is aged for 20yrs. In my opinion a real treat for anybody and very classy a nd a little bit unusual. You can get it from www.thedrinkshop.com for £77.89 . There is also a few others at a variety of prices on there but calvados is the way to go

nick

It may be a suprise to you all but very few Farmers / Landowner types actually like whiskey although it seems to be the universally accepted gift drink given at Xmas... Im sure they get bottles and bottles of it.

I find that most of my Landowners prefer a decent bottle of Port, and not to leave out the fair lady I would normally add a box of Thorntons chocolates some flowers or a bottle of Champagne to the gift for the more important ones.

Its the fair sex that often make the decisions in these households !

Ask!

Every year, one of our suppliers buys my boss a lovely bottle of scotch (got to be coming up for ten years now), he is too polite to say anything but he hates the stuff! Fortunately I love it...

Another supplier always rings up about now and asks if there is anything we would like. The boss always gets a fabulous bottle of vintage port - much more his cup of tea. Er, so to speak.

Whatever the outcome, go for the best you can afford in that category, witht he broadest popular appeal. A bottle of peaty smokey Islay malt might well be your thing, but it's a waste of time if the farmer likes big measures of Glenfiddich!

Of course, it's still the thought that counts, but one man's meat is another man's poison.

LS

Whats a good choice of Brandy for example? Something boxed looks nice and sits outside outside the norm?

Or stick with Whiskey???

I like Courvoisier XO (sp?) but reading a lot of the reviews others seem to prefer Hennesey (again sp?) XO at an extra £10 or so. If you do go for whisky any of the limited edition flavoured ones might be a bit different - I mean the ones matured off in different casks such as sherry, brandy, port, etc

I agree with his lordship LS on this one. Being a seasoned whiskey drinker and having a penchant for the single malt variety I would definatelt say it's a matter of preference.

If you do intend on keeping it a surprise then I'd stay clear of the blended stuff like Chivas Regal, bells, grouse, three barrels (I know it's a brandy) and the like. Some blended whiskies like Bells have an age of 8 years on them but thats because it's blended from single malts that can't cut it on their own and they are legally required to display the youngest single malt they use. You never know, it could be blended with 25, 40 or 50 year malts but if the youngest they use is only 8 years old then that's the one they have to declare.

Don't know much about Brandy/Cognac/Armangac only that I got very drunk on it when 16 and in Tenerife and spent the night with my head down the toilet. Haven't really tried it since only to confirm that it still makes me feel ill.

In short... Ask!

Edited by Doc Holliday

As above I can't stand Whiskey and I don't know anyone who drinks it. If I get given Whiskey it goes back out on the circuit. Maybe Christmas is one big merry go round of unwanted bottles of Whiskey being moved on.

I think Brandy is more universally drunk.

However, hard licquor is increasingly less popular generally. At work, we go with a decent bottle or two of red wine or port. Also we know that the people we give it to are more likely to drink it with a meal and will probably present it as "this is special, we don't normally buy this but it was a present from....". All very positive etc.

Indeed, for example a very special PW member sorted me out a spectacular deal on some fantastic bathroom gear - he got two very special bottles of port which I knew he would drink and enjoy with friends.