walking boots

Farmers saint

I'm after a pair of good reliable boots, I like the look of the Le CHAMEAU Mouflon Plus. What do you chaps think :good:

Thanks Allan...

good quality boots

had the mouflon's

lasted very well, very warm and super comfortable for me

DONT GO FOR THOSE MATE the leather cracks and they wont do anything about it

go for lowas or danners magnun half the price and twice the boot in my opinion and just for the record i have the boots he has stated and sent them back for the leather cracks and they refused to do anything

Edited by Justintime

They are good boots,will keep your feet warm and dry,but the leather is prone to cracking.Mine are in their 4th season,and the leather is cracking and the stitching coming undone.This doesn't mean they'll let in water,a mates are in a lot worse state than mine,but are still waterproof.As long as the membrane is still in one piece they'll still keep out water.Like I said,they are good boots,but I think you can get better for the money.Gronel are another very good make(which I also own)as are Meindl.The best pair I've owned were Matterhorn,from the USA.Wore them almost everyday and they were 10 years old when I reluctantly had to bin them.

Depends on your budget

My best winter boots are Berghaus Ogre, trad. leather with a stiff sole, will take a walking crampon, vibram soles. £120 in 1995 still a great boot

My best 3 season boot are Berghaus Storm, goretex composite boot again stiff sole and i have had walking crampons on them, will take a yeti gaiter. £100 in 2002

My everyday boots are Hitec £20 from Makro, worn out but 4 years old

and Karrimor water resistant £18 from Sports Soccer (Donnay Shop)

Karrimor KSB are good Chris Ryan escaped from Iraq in a pair.

Do you want leather or goretex

Do you want a custom gaiter eg Yeti to fit

Do you need to fit a crampon

Cheers

Just ordered a pair of Asolo boots this morning, we'll see how they work out.

The Meindls get recommended a lot but I found a good deal on the others and a few of my mates love theirs.

Follow Beardo's advice too. Lots of good info in older threads.

Jim

Real men from Essex and the US military buy Danners.

Very comfortable, all the water proof goretex 'stuff' you need and they look good. All the other boots look like you should be made of light blue plastic and placed outside a high street shop for passers by to put money in the back of your head.

I'm after a pair of good reliable boots, I like the look of the Le CHAMEAU Mouflon Plus. What do you chaps think :good:

Thanks Allan...

Very much depends on what you are going to us them for in the main.

If its for serious hiking I would reccommend a Synthetic breathable waterproof boot with emphasis on the sole matrix and ankle support Something akin to a Hitech for £50 you should be spoiled for choice

If its for general countryside use, shooting fishing, bit of work around the garden, get a muck boot, cheap, warm, 100% waterproof reliable.

Ive had Le Chams, Du barry, et al, leather boots in the past..... complete waste of money your paying for the snob value..they all say they are waterproof when they actually mean water resistant and there is a big difference.

Good old Muck boots do the job at a fraction of the cost.

As stated, allot of previous threads on this subject,

I personaly will always reccomend what boot has been good for me over the last 30 odd years, i am now on my 3rd pair and only replaced due to sole ware, i could of had them re-soled but i think that 10 years use is bloody good value for money.

They are "Skarpa" 1st & 2nd pair were "Manta Attak" £120.ish, my last pair i cant recall the name RRP £185, but all were a 4 season walking boot very good in just about any weather you will encounter anywere :good: thats only about £18 a year for warm, dry, comfortable feet.

Edited by Dougy

If its for serious hiking I would reccommend a Synthetic breathable waterproof boot with emphasis on the sole matrix and ankle support Something akin to a Hitech for £50 you should be spoiled for choice

Couldn't disagree more.

Forget synthetic for serious walking you need leather.

Mrs D went through a pair of very expensive synthetic boots in 11 months, took them back and got a refund against a pair of Meindls.

We both wear these and are out in the 2/3 times a week, every week.

They are comfortable too, I wore mine all day everyday on 5 day boar shooting trips only taking them off to go to bed (Mungler doesn't like dirty sheets)

Yes they are expensive, but look after them they will last you for years.

Thanks Allan...

Ive got a pair of berghaus storm which are ten years old and still have plenty of life in them although they are mostly used for walking the dog nowadays just dont get time for hill walking at the moment!