Your Hobbies

bullet boy

Reading (lots!), photography, computing, trying (badly) to play the saxophone, films,music, single malt whiskey, reluctant gardener, holidays and travel whenever possible.... Being retired is great, if you can make the pension stretch....

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, sure we can sort a day out if you fancy it. We are at Bedfordshire Steam and coutnry fayre in septemeber at shuttleworth park.

She says that now but will be very tempted when its all done, i used to have a marlin roadster i was getting back to roadworthy condition but that had to go to fund buying the house always regret selling it.

Thanks mate it took a long time but we got there, we started off with a lot more than Rorys engine as she was running when we pulled her apart to fit the new parts of the boiler.

May just take you up on that FT Cheers

Bred and shown lots of animals very succesfully over the years from dogs to mice, currently on the go:

Cats: Ocicat and Egyptian Mau bred and shown jointly with the wife, having made up numerous champions.

Rabbits: Belgian Hares - a very old breed of rabbit and awesome animals.

Argente Creme - a very rare and beautiful fur breed (both rabbit breeds also supply food for us, cats and dogs :good: )

Mice: Black Foxes - Had mice since I was a kid and it's a great traditional based fancy.

I'm on the judging panel for both Belgian Hares and Mice and Chairman of the organising committee for the Burgess Premier Small Animal Show. Yeah, it's my mouse on the front of the website.

Also I study (and breed) butterflies of the family Lycaenidae (blues and coppers). Pictured below are 2 males and a female of Lycaena dispar (Large Copper), which are extinct in the wild in the UK, but alive and well in captivity in Yorkshire!!). These are feeding prior to mating, having spent a couple of nights in the fridge blink.gif .

In the rest of my spare time I work (need some funds to finance all the above plus shooting!!)

Wow mate, You must have a lot of animal knowledge too breed Butterfly's and all the others , Also the show you enter. I do know that they can get very competitive !

Keep up the good work with the breeding program for the butterfly's

i love photography, got a real nice camera and all the kit ive not had a chance to learn how to use yet :ermm:

love compouters and web design, im VERY amateur but have done quite a few for people and i currently run a website and forum for my village which is in serious need of an update.. dont know when ill find time now ive bought a new gun :)

i am a community councillor, still know as parish in other parts of the country. have been for just over a year now and love it, seem to get more grief than praise but thats politics for you... i also made the website for the council

i am a local historian and have published several books on my village and am one of the founding members of a local history society

in the autumn after thinking about it for thirty years i finally bought a telescope... a brilliant piece of kit and i cant wait for the dark nights again so i can get back out with it... as much asi love it i cant bring myself to be out at 10 or 11 in the night.. much more sensible in the autumn/winter when its dark early

my other great love is mountain bikes, ive ridden now since 96, sadly after a lengthy illness the doctors stopped me riding until they can sort me out. the worst part of that is after having an expensive bike stolen i replaced it with another lovely carbon fibre hard tail bike, i put a few upgrades on it to make it my dream bike then they stopped me riding so in 18 months i did just two miles... i sold it a couple of weeks ago after realising that just hanging up in the shed i was probably loosing a quid a day in depreciation... so after id sold it and obviously lost money those two miles cost me about £450 each :no:

and somehow i still find time to work... god knows how! :)

Edited by kiffy

My Orange Five Pro Mountain Bike added to my collection of Toys!

a nice addition im sure, i always fancied an orange... came close when i bought my marin wolfridge a couple of years ago.. even when i sold my hard tail i had to keep my marin just incase i can ride again soon :)

Main ones building cars. Currently have an offroader and a vw campervan to build.. Sold all my minis earlier in the year, had a space frame'd fibreglass fra shell, a classic 76gt and a 90's one I got for free. Missis absolutely hates it because I spend 60% of my spare time "messing about with cars"

Also like cycling, road mainly on my specialized Allez.

In the past I have dabbled with airsports. Skydiving, lapsed PPL (learned to fly in Cyprus) and have tried hang gliding and microlighting. Currently hill walking, motorcycling, cooking, learning to forage (beginner), running (on and off - currently on). But as much as anything else I enjoy hiding from the wife in the garage messing about with stuff and making useless things :good:

I'm a peeping tom, I hide in bushes and watch birds performing their various activities. Usually the feathered kind but you do get lucky sometimes. Been known to scatter a few fired .22 cases around in the nature reserves out of warped sense of humour. Well these RSPB types are so anti shooting they get on my nerves.

I use be good at drawing at school getting O-level grade A was going go do A-levels in art but joined the army and have not done any drawing really since leaving school some 25+ yrs ago...so while im away in Afghanistan last yr i thought as i had some serious time to kill i would try get back into in... first few attempts were abysmal but here is one a portrait of a family friends son i finished the other day...getting there just not as good as i would like to be..but practice will get me there.

DSC05483.jpg

DSCN9544.jpg

Edited by barrelsniffer

Motorcycling road bikes and quad bike (and thinking about buying a trials bike) although not as much since my kids arrived, and I am very slowly getting a 1947 ferguson back to a workable machine it picked up its first implement yesterday for 30+ years!!!

Few of the previous bikes-

AD68D182-1752-4C72-847D-6C60ACDC86DE-5834-000008C423DBB9C4.jpg

K74.jpg

Current bike -

9dcf185d.jpg

Quad bike (which may be up for sale or swap for a trials bike if anyone's interested)

d18d424a.jpg

And my fergie, which is old and worn but makes me smile!

How I found her -

30F07E38-D08E-4B5B-B78C-9D970E3646B7-5834-000008C681FED82B.jpg

And lifting an implement yesterday for the first time in a long time -

B971AAD1-A791-4505-BB60-6989A6D8CDB1-5834-000008C4455C0087.jpg

And my favorite hobby that takes up most of my time, my beautiful kids, Logan (3 1/2) and Faith (1) -

2F278EC3-BAC0-4156-9B46-B24EFA4FF612-5834-000008C7A7047710.jpg

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

I use be good at drawing at school getting O-level grade A was going go do A-levels in art but joined the army and have not done any drawing really since leaving school some 25+ yrs ago...so while im away in Afghanistan last yr i thought as i had some serious time to kill i would try get back into in... first few attempts were abysmal but here is one a portrait of a family friends son i finished the other day...getting there just not as good as i would like to be..but practice will get me there.

DSC05483.jpg

DSCN9544.jpg

That is fantastic! Well done you!!! :yes:

DSC05483.jpg

DSCN9544.jpg

WOW !!!

You really do have a talent,Mr B

xxxSuzy

lovely, great job that ! I'd love a go ........

Well done Tom, looks really good, I'm with the local vintage club and I'm just finishing a Power Major.

When I say finishing, as you know you can always find that little bit extra to do to them.

I done up a T20 a couple of years back then passed it on, oh the hue and cry when the experts noticed

that I had fitted an alternator, replacing the old dynamo.

As for my hobbies, living and working with nature and farming is a full time job, but it is combined with all

that is involved with country sports.