a nation of shop keepers

wildrover77

I am trying to remember who it was insulted Britain by calling us a nation of shop keepers; you have to wonder at the insult. What is it with gun shop owners in this country, I have found very few who are actually nice people, helpful and courteous the rest seem to think you are there to provide them with a living and should be grateful for having the opportunity to do so.

I can highly commend Fox Firearms and Osprey Rifles along with TJ McAvvoy and Tim Hannams; however the rest leave a lot to be desired.

My visit to a shop in Pudsey yesterday has prompted this rant after having to wait for 45 minutes as they walked to outer Mongolia to find the different parts I wanted, which they seemed to think was my fault, I finally walked out after being given a lecture about how I was inconveniencing them on their busiest day and in future I should come prepared with an exact list of what I require without any obscure parts which they need to search in the stock room for.

Does anyone else have gunshop which they can recommend for their desire to serve you rather than vice versa.

I am trying to remember who it was insulted Britain by calling us a nation of shop keepers; you have to wonder at the insult. What is it with gun shop owners in this country, I have found very few who are actually nice people, helpful and courteous the rest seem to think you are there to provide them with a living and should be grateful for having the opportunity to do so.

I can highly commend Fox Firearms and Osprey Rifles along with TJ McAvvoy and Tim Hannams; however the rest leave a lot to be desired.

My visit to a shop in Pudsey yesterday has prompted this rant after having to wait for 45 minutes as they walked to outer Mongolia to find the different parts I wanted, which they seemed to think was my fault, I finally walked out after being given a lecture about how I was inconveniencing them on their busiest day and in future I should come prepared with an exact list of what I require without any obscure parts which they need to search in the stock room for.

Does anyone else have gunshop which they can recommend for their desire to serve you rather than vice versa.

I generally use Malmo guns, brian,john or rosemary always seem helpful.

I'm just trying to think now and I don't think I've had a bad experience with any gun shop I've been to. And I've been to quite alot I dont mind travelling there is a very good gun shop in south Yorkshire it's browns lock stock and barrell been there loads very helpful stands allday talking to you and he goes on safaris took me upstairs n showed me what he'd shot which was loads. Fenland rural supplies in Cambridgeshire is a good one too phoned up asked them to save a gun as I was coming 110 miles for it sure enough they did when I got there asking me how roads were and so on very nice people. I'm sure I will drop on some idiot one day then I will just not go back they will only lose out.

Bowen

Second that about Browns Lock Stock and Barrells

When I first decided to start shooting I called at a couple of gun shops and the attitude was very much cold towards me as I was just looking for information. Passing Browns in Sheffield and popped in for a chat where both John and Stuart were helpful friendly and informative. I made a promise that when I got my SGC I'd be back. I honoured that promise and bought my first cabinet, gun and cartridges from them. Highly recommend them.

Still pop in from time to time but don't get down that way much.

Napoleon meant it at as an insult at the time it was spoken. Unfortunately this poor customer service and rip off prices attitude is all to prevalent within the UK shooting retail market sector. If you think the retailers are bad you should try talking to and dealing with the wholesalers, distributors, and importers.It seems the bigger they are the worse they treat their customers. GMK for instance!

Reloading Solutions

Utting

Tim Hannams

Brian Fox

Sportsman (but not the lot from S Wales)

Maclouds

Midway UK

Where ever and when ever possible I'll try to use the above. If I can't I now try to deal with US retailers and suppliers.

Im glad you posted this, I have had absolutely shocking service from Trulock and Harris, they have alot of good gear but have become way to far up their own arriss the past few years, and they have had one of my side by sides for.........2 years!! I went in to buy some bullets after not going in for a while, and he said, oh yes, I was meant to ask you, I cannot fix your gun but wondered if it would be ok if I could make you a firing pin (as the one in the right barrell broke on a driven day). Im not being funny, its pretty simple and going to cost about £30 so just get on with it!

I then went to order a PES moderator from them and no joy, didnt phone me back, and also a Mag extension tube for my auto to make it into an FAC one. No call back.

So im using someone else, who knows me on a first name basis and has no problem in getting me anything I want. Thing is I buy about 200 .17hmr bullets a month, about 250 carts and am about to but a £1500 .223 setup and a CZ .22lr setup through him. All that business that Trulock and Harris

have missed out on!

I now use Taylors of Sudbury or KD Radcliffe in Colchester.

I do think that you have to ask them alot of questions about what you want when you are paying the bill!

I have dealt with several shops near me on the south coast with no issues, On a run out friday to Town and Country sports in Botley, spend 2 1/2 hrs looking a possible swaps for a s/a , could not fault the service, and the quality of the cuppa. Was not pushed or steered toward a quick purchase.The atmosphere was very professional and courteous. :good:

I can name a very good one in our area..Valley arms in ruthin, excellent service, well stocked and genuinley helpful, pleasant and knowledgeable staff. By FAR the best in the area.

Gwynedd firearms in Bangor were very unhelpful in the fact that myself and my freind were ingnored completley until we were asked abruptly " what do you want?" we left.

Henry monks in chester don't help themselves either, unhelpful and generally unwelcoming.

Just my personal experiences.

When you go into a shop you can have a sense to wether it's a good one ,some shops blag you and sell you anything for a sale,I like to be told the truth and get a good price,and service ,not a shop that gives to much suits you sir and jacks the price up ,or looks down their nose because you ask the price!just good advice good price and good after care,and honesty I have got that from Wiltshire and lambert in ringwood in the past,Geoff may be a bit cantankerous,but it's always straight honest advice no airs or graces wysiwyg :good:time served gun smith,in a greatbshop what more do you need

I thought this thread was about gunshops? There's a few mentions of Tim Hannams (which isn't actually a gun shop). They have a trade counter for people to go in with a shopping list and get their order filled. So may I assume that them that's having a poke in that direction weren't aware of this and went in to graze? :hmm:

As for the Pudsey mention. I refuse to go there unless absolutely necessary. I find them extremely KRANKY in there. :oops:

on a pluss side i have to name billy and rob at country sports north walsham or nelsons of norwich , but that was when billy was there .

the worst is churchills of dereham , unless you are known to them, have a gold credit card or suck up to them they really are the worst customer service / helpfull / just plain polite shop i have ever been to .

i miss being a boy , when i would go up the city and spend hours wandering around uttins shop on bethal street . now i cant even collect from there , all mail order . :no:

I can name a very good one in our area..Valley arms in ruthin, excellent service, well stocked and genuinley helpful, pleasant and knowledgeable staff. By FAR the best in the area.

Dare I ask if that is in wales :blush: I bought a gun off a shop called valley arms in wales and they were very helpful! I had phoned another shop before Valley arms,(in Colchester I believe ;) ) and the man was so moody that he lost out on a sale.

Macleod's are also very good :good:

R & K Stockcraft in Stony Stratford for me. I've bought my last 2 shotguns from there, always very helpful, knowledgeable and polite. And more importantly, their after sales service is excellent. They are now my first port of call for anything from purchases to a quick call with a question.

AB

The Countryway Gunshop in West Malling, Kent is excellent. Always had good service there and usually the best price too. When I bought my HW100 they beat any price I could find on the web, and threw in a free gun bag (a decent one!) and tin of pellets. Also give honest advice, which is very refreshing!

I have dealt with several shops near me on the south coast with no issues, On a run out friday to Town and Country sports in Botley, spend 2 1/2 hrs looking a possible swaps for a s/a , could not fault the service, and the quality of the cuppa. Was not pushed or steered toward a quick purchase.The atmosphere was very professional and courteous. :good:

You must have dealt with the old man then because the son is a complete cock, thinks he knows everything and is determined to tell you so. used to enjoy the shop before he turned up, wont go there any more because of him

Lambert and Wiltshire in Ringwood very helpfull and always seem to have time to answer my numpty questions.

doc

On a run out friday to Town and Country sports in Botley, spend 2 1/2 hrs looking a possible swaps for a s/a , could not fault the service, and the quality of the cuppa. Was not pushed or steered toward a quick purchase.The atmosphere was very professional and courteous.

Amazing, that's the first good thing I've ever heard about T&C. And I've spoken to a lot of people. Will never, ever, go there again following my last couple of experiences.

You must have dealt with the old man then because the son is a complete cock, thinks he knows everything and is determined to tell you so. used to enjoy the shop before he turned up, wont go there any more because of him

:stupid:

Im glad you posted this, I have had absolutely shocking service from Trulock and Harris, they have alot of good gear but have become way to far up their own arriss the past few years, and they have had one of my side by sides for.........2 years!! I went in to buy some bullets after not going in for a while, and he said, oh yes, I was meant to ask you, I cannot fix your gun but wondered if it would be ok if I could make you a firing pin (as the one in the right barrell broke on a driven day). Im not being funny, its pretty simple and going to cost about £30 so just get on with it!

I then went to order a PES moderator from them and no joy, didnt phone me back, and also a Mag extension tube for my auto to make it into an FAC one. No call back.

So im using someone else, who knows me on a first name basis and has no problem in getting me anything I want. Thing is I buy about 200 .17hmr bullets a month, about 250 carts and am about to but a £1500 .223 setup and a CZ .22lr setup through him. All that business that Trulock and Harris

have missed out on!

I now use Taylors of Sudbury or KD Radcliffe in Colchester.

I do think that you have to ask them alot of questions about what you want when you are paying the bill!

Oh yes, I forgot to add, I go beating with him aswell! SO takes the mick even more!