Who's had hmr or wmr approved for fox?

Sprocker101

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the title says, Not trying to start a debate whether or not they should be allowed for fox but just wondering if you have had it approved and what county you are in? Many thanks!

Its a farce, I have to use a centrefire as prescribed by Leicestershire, the family farm is Notts and will allow hmr or wmr for fox, derbyshire bordering both counties, as far as I believe allow .22lr.

Obviously I can use a shotgun for fox legally, and if it appealed to my polarising numbnut side of my persona also use a sub fac air....but 100 odd ft/lb of hmr at 50 yards isn't enough according to the police.

I only have vermin on my .17hmr in Norfolk. However my flo agreed that fox falls into this catagory so is a bit of a grey area. Who can stand up and say they are not vermin if it went any further? One of the ladies in the office asked me..."isn't .308 larger then a .243?? Oh I don't think you can use those on fox whilst stalking" I swear the police forces rejects from all departments end up in firearms licensing!!

I have fox down for my HMR though I rarely use it for that purpose, personally I don't rate it as a fox calibre and wouldnt shoot at a fox much over 70yds with it. I think head shots are best with this calibre if you decide to shoot a fox, once I shot a fox with the 17hmr and it took 3 shots to the heart and lungs and was still crawling until I shot it in the head. This was with 20grain winchesters and they didnt expand enough to cause damage,just passing straight through. The 243 does the job much better of course especially with 87grain vmax.

Just to add out of interest, I was clearing out all my old correspondence from the firearms dept and found a letter stating that in 2008 there was a condition change stating that if your centrefire was down for fox it would automatically also cover all other vermin.

I'm with the Gloucestershire constabulary.

Edited by Redgum