Black puma

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your photos towards the top of this page are excellent Dave308 but please tell us where they were taken. I'm not saying they are but they could easily have been taken by a "hoaxer" in a Zoo or Safari Park. If you could assure us that they are taken out in the wilds and in the UK it would give so much more weight to the possibility of there being "Big Cats" roaming the countryside mate!

Everyone has their own opinion, some say yes some say no, you would never get any resposible fac holder openly admit to shooting a big cat because of the repercussions from it as this thread shows some shooters wouldnt even like it. Have i seen one well if i said yes people would say i have been on the funny juice so as allways i would say no.

Everyone has their own opinion, some say yes some say no, you would never get any resposible fac holder openly admit to shooting a big cat because of the repercussions from it as this thread shows some shooters wouldnt even like it. Have i seen one well if i said yes people would say i have been on the funny juice so as allways i would say no.

I'm not asking if you have seen one nor am I questioniong your possible "drinking of smoking habbits", all I am asking is whereabouts the photos were taken mate because you either had a very powerfil lens on the camera or that moggy was a lot closer than I would have wanter to stay feeling safe or comfortable!

Edited by Frenchieboy

firstly most shoot foxes on here for game shooting reasons or poultry and lambing have you ever heard a keeper saying that ******* puma was in my pen last night and killed 500 poults

secondly the human feer factor makes them (if they are out there )want to stay away from humans(ie people never or very rearly see them ) it would only be a danger if cornered or take by suprise like any wild animal ie fox ,badger and yes it would be good to see a good photo of one :good:

i suppose my point is that if they do exist and they did get into a pheasant pen and kill 500 pheasants (all hypothetical i know) then i am not too sure on how the farmer or keeper would react if i were to mention that i saw it the night before but didnt shoot it because i wanted to see them in the countryside ........... dont forget the legal reason that we are all able to enjoy our sport is for crop / livestock / game protection and not for protection of non indiginous alien species

Although I now live much further north, I grew up in Aberlour, in Strathspey. Back in the early 1980's, not long after I had "migrated", my mother rang me to tell me that my father had gone out the previous evening, just after dark, to close up his hen-house. He returned very quickly shouting for his gun and claiming to have come face-to-face with a big black cat which was trying to get into the hen-run.

My mother was by nature a bit of a cynic and so teased him mercilessly about seeing things and being frightened by his own shadow. But the next morning she spotted a large black cat on farmland at the Haugh of Elchies, just across the river from their back garden, and was able to get her binoculars on it.

My father and mother both came from shooting, fishing and trapping backgrounds - mother's grandfather was one of the most highly regarded gamekeepers in the north-east of Scotland in his day - and were exceptionally knowledgeable about the natural world. I have absolutely no doubt that they saw what they saw.

But what DID they see? How big IS a big cat? Mother and father agreed that theirs was (were?) no bigger than a black lab, and quite lightly built.

For those of you still inclined to doubt, just google "Kellas cat" and read on..... I look forward with interest to your postings. Later on this evening I'll be talking to an acquaintance who used to be a gamekeeper on a well-known estate near Grantown-on Spey. I'll ask him for the benefit of his experiences, perhaps over a wee glass of what made Strathspey famous! Aaaah, Glenfarclas!!!

I don't see why there shouldn't be big cats in the wild, more believable than a lunar landing anyway.

The issue I have is people claim to have seen then and then ask if they could shoot it. If I saw one when out shooting it would be deader than a dead thing and I would be on the front page of the Sun :lol: :lol: :lol:

:yes::yes::yes::good::good:

:yes::yes::yes::good::good:

And as we have been told by local Firearms officer, shoot it and you could lose your certificate.

Bravado is one thing, common sense another.

Judging by some of the replies on here I am beginning to wonder how they were ever given a license

in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an open mind about their presence in the UK countryside , but what i cant understand is why are they mainly black , no matter what part of the country they are reported from. In their native country black puma or any other big cats are very , very rare ? As they have been reported from Scotland to Cornwall I doubt if its a case of all being related.

Most Certs say "protection of animals and humans" crosshair , so to say you wouldn't shoot it for fear of loosing your ticket is in my opinion drivel, as dekers and mc say, if it walked infront of a high seat I was in it'd have a new hole in it!

Not sure advertising it would be a good idea though as you'd have every cat spotter and walker for miles turning up to look for more!

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

I would love to see one and too bloody right I would shoot it. the gamekeepers round here all believe in the big cats without question. But none have ever bagged one. A throwback to the days when people with more money than sense were allowed to own them and turned them loose when the law changed. Today they are a bit of a rural myth, all the original cats will have died by now unless they were able to breed which is unlikely. But if I get one in my crosshairs you will read about it in the papers, that I promise you.