Trying to make a big decision ,reff shooting .

Harnser

I have been involved in all types of shooting ,game shooting ,wildfowling ,deer stalking ,rifle shooting ,pistol shooting and a bit of clay shooting over the past 50 years or so .

I have now found it more and more difficult to motivate my self to go out stalking and lamping rabbits . I thought that this was down to getting older and being to lazy to make the effort to bother to go out . I now realise that the reason for my reluctance to shoot deer and rabbits is because I no longer want to shoot them .

I can remember years ago being told by an old country man that there becomes a time in your life when you will decide that you have had enough of shooting game and would rather see the game running about the farm rather than shoot it .

I have had this reluctance to shoot rabbits and deer for the past 3 or 4 years and have decided that I need to take a good look at myself and decide if I want to carry on or to give it up . My F.A.C. runs out in july this year and I am concidering as to wether or not I should renew . A difficult decision for somebody whos life has been so heavily involved in field sports like my life has been .

Harnser .

For what it costs to renew your fac I would renew it and then see how you go in the next couple of years. If you don't use your guns much or at all then fine sell up and get yourself a new hobby, but if you don't renew this time you may find that you would like to go shooting but you haven't got that option anymore and you then can't be bothered to apply for your fac all over again.

For what it costs to renew your fac I would renew it and then see how you go in the next couple of years. If you don't use your guns much or at all then fine sell up and get yourself a new hobby, but if you don't renew this time you may find that you would like to go shooting but you haven't got that option anymore and you then can't be bothered to apply for your fac all over again.

:stupid: good advice.

We all have our reasons for shooting, and if you no longer want to, or enjoy shooting game, then stop. Shooting has been a part of your life for 50 years but that alone is not enough of a reason to continue and only you will know if it's right to stop.

I would agree with Luckyshot, but perhaps don't shoot for a while and see how you feel about it.

I have had this reluctance to shoot rabbits and deer for the past 3 or 4 years and have decided that I need to take a good look at myself and decide if I want to carry on or to give it up . My F.A.C. runs out in july this year and I am concidering as to wether or not I should renew . A difficult decision for somebody whos life has been so heavily involved in field sports like my life has been .

Harnser after writing what you did, as above i think you have already give it time and you know what your going to do.

With it being part of your life for so long your finding its a hard choice to make, but we shoot for pleasure mostly.Unless its part of our job.

If the time comes when i feel that way i would like to think i could just hang up my cart bag and slip and find another pleasing hobby.

Best of luck and hope your happy in whatever you decide.

ATB figgy

I might just add to this post that I am still heavily involved in pigeon shooting ,although I do have a certain reluctance to shoot large bags, and last game season I shot about 40 pheasants that I walked up around the hedge rows . These birds were solely for the pot and I did not give it a second thought .

Harnser

I think that is a totally natural and rational position.

It is a sign of a true sportsman,and I for one sir doff my cap to you.Many times I have let skein of geese fly over and just admired them, and have let a beautiful Red Stag go on his way.

Respect.

ATB.

good advice :stupid:

like someone i know says they eat no meat = not costing you anything to keep them in a cabinet :shoot: :shoot:

Funny thing that Harnser, I think it comes to us all, we have a couple of beaters who were keen shots who no longer like to kill.

I love my foxing and continue to do that,but this year I have only shot 2/3 days Game and have enjoyed working the dogs more despite laying out lumps of money! ( my guests haven't complained yet!)

I would renew the ticket - and see how the mood takes you over the next few years.

Will you continue to work dogs and beat etc?

Funny thing that Harnser, I think it comes to us all, we have a couple of beaters who were keen shots who no longer like to kill.

I love my foxing and continue to do that,but this year I have only shot 2/3 days Game and have enjoyed working the dogs more despite laying out lumps of money! ( my guests haven't complained yet!)

I would renew the ticket - and see how the mood takes you over the next few years.

Will you continue to work dogs and beat etc?

I no longer have a dog but my shooting buddy has a very good lab who hunts the hedge rows for us for the pheasants . No I dont beat any more .

Harnser

Before you pack it in, take a young un under your wing and pass on a few skills to just one more for the next generation.

You never know there enthusiasm and passion may just re kindle the things you have took for granted for many years.

If not I'll have your permissions.

:)

Many, many people enjoy shooting without killing a thing. Target, clay pigeon shooting all things to enjoy without the need to kill things. As said, before you pack it in take a newcomer under your wings, we could do with more with your experience :good: Ever since I started shooting I have had the same mental battles, loath wounding anything, makes me sick to the pit of my stomach but sadly it does happen with the best will in the world. My dad used to enjoy shooting but would not hurt a fly now, we are all different but I for one can see where you are coming from. Pass on a little of your knowledge, the next generation would love to learn a little.

atvb Paul.

Hi,

Same age and know exactly what you mean. Having recognised that whereas I still shoot and enjoy it, I don't go out so often (just had 4 months off sick with an extended dose of shingles and it's only the thought of getting out with the new, smaller, rifle that's got me wound up again) so I set up plan B a couple of years ago. For my 65th I took a mate and my lads on a 3 day fly fishing course. This is always something that I wanted to do but could never justify the time or expense before. Thoroughly enjoy it and can quite easily see the time spent shooting and that fishing will ultimately reverse. For me, problem solved.

Cheers

Before you pack it in, take a young un under your wing and pass on a few skills to just one more for the next generation.

You never know there enthusiasm and passion may just re kindle the things you have took for granted for many years.

If not I'll have your permissions.

:)

:stupid: I`m with acid house here Harnser.... you can bow out gracefully in the knowledge that you have passed on invaluable advise and coaching to a young un giving you the satisfaction of knowing you`ve helped the next generation on their way... i wish i had that growing up .... good luck with what ever you decide ...

Sounds like a year off will do you good. Get a fresh perspective after a rest.

In your situation, I'd renew my fac and wait for the day you truly yearn to be back out in the field after quarry.

I've had the odd break from shooting live targets for the pot, and then I'll see bunnies whilst out in the car, or watch 1000 woodies fly over etc and the urge returns.

I too have just flicked the safety back on and let a potential meal live another day/week or more, just because my heart wasn't in it to kill that particular time.

Humanity I guess.

After much soul searching and consideration I have decided to renew my ticket for one more 5 year period and see how it goes . Many thanks for your replies to my post , they really have helped me to come to my decision . Again many thanks .

Harnser .

Good shout sir... I think its better to have than want instead of want and not have

I like to shoot for the table..it doe's not interest me to get big bags... I can understand those who do and have no problem with that

I also love my fishing, the two go well together..and sometimes..i even take the camera and just snap away

as long as ive enjoyed my trip out..that will do for me :good:

I think that is a totally natural and rational position.

It is a sign of a true sportsman,and I for one sir doff my cap to you.Many times I have let skein of geese fly over and just admired them, and have let a beautiful Red Stag go on his way.

Respect.

ATB.

Well said :good: :good:

After much soul searching and consideration I have decided to renew my ticket for one more 5 year period and see how it goes . Many thanks for your replies to my post , they really have helped me to come to my decision . Again many thanks .

Harnser .

I'm glad to read this.

Years ago I had an old hunter explain the 5 stages of hunting to me and it all makes sense.

We start as a stage 1, where we just want a full bag. Progress to being a bit more concerned about sustainability and then to become quite specific as to what we want to shoot. From here we go to almost targeting the individual that presents the largest challenge and gives us the most satisfaction from the hunt (the kill remaining the anti-climax).

The last stage is the stage 5 hunter who uses his firearm ownership as an excuse to go for a walk in the country, to interact with other shooters and give them the benefit of his knowledge. He takes his rifle home unused and still clean. He treats it with care as they have done many miles together and have many memories together. It's like his old friend and his last link to all he grew to love.

I think you are a stage 5 Hunter, and for £10 a year it will be well worth the money. You will still enjoy all aspects of the sport without pulling the trigger.

I hope in 5 years time you renew again, and continue enjoying what you have been doing, and loved all these years.

ATB

GSM

I too know a number of shooters who have done the same. Particularly old gamekeepers. Personally, I would rather be in a wood with a gun and not shoot anything, than without one. I think it sharpens the eye to have it with you. You see things that only hunters see.

Some types of fishing can be almost as good in that respect though.

As with anything in life, if you stop getting enjoyment from it, stop doing it, but try to work out first, the bits you really enjoyed and see what else might fit. Maybe, if field sports are out for you then, dare I suggest wildlife photography? You wouldn't be the first to go that route. you could help capture some part of what you saw in your former sport for future generations?

Also, I agree with someone above, re passing on your knowledge and understanding of the sports. Not many other ways children are going to learn about the truth of the countryside without people like you to pass it on. :good:

All the best whatever you decide.

Also, Well said GSM. Sums it up very nicely!

Edited by MartB